saw cold start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was watching a video and the guy in the video was pulling several times on this saw to even get it to pop at +27F he had a Stihl and asked if others have problems starting Stihls at low temps.

I think of 27 as about ideal cutting temp 30-25 with light wind and frozen ground little to no snow is the most productive cutting

the guy in the video commented Husqavrna people tell him their saws start right up cold.

I will argue it is how your saw is adjusted mainly
it could also be the choke design some.
Husqavarnas and Jreds are good saws but I don't know that that should take all the credit for good cold starting.

at what temp and how many pulls do you expect ? you just pulled the saw from the back of the open truck or unheated tool shed where it has sat at least 12 hours.

I started up the Jonsered 2255 at 25 degrees a two months ago and it just didn't want to stay running without me nursing the throttle I took it to my dealer told him it was not staying running well on cold starts even though it would start he looked it all over couldn't find any other reason and adjusted the low jet open a bit and it has been starting like a champ since on 2 pulls and staying running at -3 mostly that is if I don't get the choke off fast enough and I have to turn off the choke and start it again.(still under warranty so let him adjust the carb) he checked it all out then set the saw outside in the 20s for hours then made the adjustment.

my 2166 is the same starting like a champ at -8 last night I had a stack of splits in the shed to long for my stove and had to cut them down before bringing them in the house, the 2255 was out of gas and my gas can was in the back of my truck covered in snow so I just grabbed the 2166 it still had gas and oil.

My Dolmars 6100 & 421 bot start pretty easy when below 30°. I would agree with on right around 30 being ideal cutting!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My echo 8000 doesn't have a decompression button so it starts hard in all temps. I'm still blown away it doesn't have that feature and so is the guy who sold it to me!

both my saws the 2255 55cc and the 2166 71cc have decompression valves and I almost never use them , I am just that big of a Jerk that they are not needed.

on an 80 cc saw I could see where you might use it

Only time I have trouble is when its frozen stuff and hard to pull, let alone pull quickly.
But that's -20* temps. 25* I dont consider cold.

When my J-red was new it was very hard starting. I took it back to the dealer and he said they were having a problem with some of the decomp valves having too big of a hole. He installed a new one and that fixed the problem.
If yours starts hard, try not using decomp.

When my J-red was new it was very hard starting. I took it back to the dealer and he said they were having a problem with some of the decomp valves having too big of a hole. He installed a new one and that fixed the problem.
If yours starts hard, try not using decomp.
I took it back to the dealer and he checked it all out, and turned up the low jet just a bit and it has been great since generally one pull or two since he turned up the low jet a touch , I hardly ever use the dcomp it is not hard to pull.

it would actually start and run high idle then when I kicked it down it would die after 30 seconds or a minute unless I gave it a bit of throttle.

I will gas up my saw at the beginning of cutting start it let it run high idle for about 30-seconds then kick it down and set it down and let it idle while I look over a tree or roll a log off the pile .

maybe I don't need to but I was always taught to let things warm up some before putting a load on them.

Latest posts

Back