Saw feels "sticky"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoABoat

Reaction score
howdy guys. First post but already used the site for a fair number of my problems in the past.

I have a small ryobi chainsaw for garden tasks, always worked well, not seen a lot of use really.

Over the past few times using it I've noticed the saw feeling very sticky, let me try and explain.

With the chain brake off the chain runs smoothly when I spin it (changed the chain recently)
When I fire up the engine with no chain it spins the clutch freely

When I blip the engine it will spin the chain no problem, however if I hold the trigger the engine winds down and often stalls.
If I blip it a few times I can spin it up and probably 1/5 times I hold down the trigger the engine will spin up to full speed and cut like normal. However the other 4/5 times the chain slows and the engine struggles +\- stalls.
It feels like a clutch problem but I'm really not sure.

Any ideas most appreciated

Thanks
Rowan

howdy guys. First post but already used the site for a fair number of my problems in the past.

I have a small ryobi chainsaw for garden tasks, always worked well, not seen a lot of use really.

Over the past few times using it I've noticed the saw feeling very sticky, let me try and explain.

With the chain brake off the chain runs smoothly when I spin it (changed the chain recently)
When I fire up the engine with no chain it spins the clutch freely

When I blip the engine it will spin the chain no problem, however if I hold the trigger the engine winds down and often stalls.
If I blip it a few times I can spin it up and probably 1/5 times I hold down the trigger the engine will spin up to full speed and cut like normal. However the other 4/5 times the chain slows and the engine struggles +\- stalls.
It feels like a clutch problem but I'm really not sure.

Any ideas most appreciated

Thanks
Rowan
I have had this problem before and it was my fuel filter in line it would idle find and start fine but as soon as you got on it it would bog down and stall I have inline filters on all of my Huskies you should check your fuel lines to make sure there's no cracks in them and carburetor to make sure it's doesn't have something in there

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back