Saw lanyard recommendation needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschroeder

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for or recommendations on a lanyard for my echo 355T. I haven’t started climbing yet (just getting started in tree work) and do some work from a ladder and don’t want to to drop the saw. I just do small/medium trees as this is a weekend PT thing

Climbing is usually safer than a ladder...

Use a saw lanyard. I have one like this and have been very happy with it. The recoil one looks pretty nice, but 2x as spendy. I know I don't see reason to upgrade. Maybe I'll consider that when replacement time comes?

I’m sure it is, some of the trees I’ve been working on aren’t big/strong enough to support climbing but big enough it can’t be worked from the ground :)

Are you wearing a saddle? What are you gonna hook your saw lanyard to?
It's fine to access trees with a ladder, but standing on one and making any cuts is an accident waiting to happen. There's countless youtubers out there that have learned the hard way.

Was just going to hook the lanyard to the ladder

IMG_20180205_092817190.jpg Be carful if your cutting a limb your leaning against. I've known several people who have cut big and once the weight is off limb goes up ladder is all by it self and tumbles over..... Also look up proper 3 cut method so your limbs don't come down and hit into your ladder.if your ladder is on a limb you just need one more step and a tie in to be aloft! It's alot easier and safer! Try to find someone to teach you the ways or do some ground work for a residential company on weekends for a few months. The 355 is a beast I love it! I use a quick clip tied well and girth hitched to my saddle. I unclip saw during use. Then clip back. Being new you might have a limb take the saw and you with it to the ground!

I don't always use a ladder but when I do I make sure I have on my wings :) Seriously though, I will work from a ladder but I'm tied in to the tree. Ladders can be productive and safe if used proper. They are fast for raising limbs. I have a nice 28 footer heavy built aluminum and a 16 foot roll around step ladder I have no problem using either if i'm tied in.

For a lanyard, I use a 4 foot nylon sling made for rock climbing. A small carabiner hooked to my harness, girth hitch on the saw ring. I also have a quickdraw (2 biners connected by a 4" loop of webbing) to hang the saw from my harness while moving around the tree. Works very well for me, and I already had the materials from rock climbing. A Petzl Sequoiah was a very welcome addition, because rock harnesses are too cramped to operate smoothly in a tree.

I presume you tie your ladder to the tree (big requirement for safety), and I hope you tie yourself off as well. You can make a quick harness from a length of webbing, rope or whatever, if you don't want to buy one, not ideal but infinitely preferable to falling out of a tree...

Back