Saw shop games

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be that the shop wasn't lying.
We are an honest dealer and have things like this happen occasionally. We certainly wouldn't have said a saw like that is "garbage" but I remember not long ago someone brought in a saw with no spark. Well before we waste our time and the customer's money we did a compression test and found it was about 25 lbs under what the minimum was with some scoring. Could it have ran? Maybe, pretty darn unlikely though. I know I wouldn't want to invest $100 into a $300 saw with only a very small chance of it working and even then, how much longer would it have worked? The customer was upset and couldn't understand how no spark turned in to no good but we tried our best to explain it. In our case, the saw would not have been worth rebuilding. In Union Mike's scenario, we don't know what condition the saw was in. Sure it was a 372xp but it could have been whooped out. Owners of equipment are usually the last ones to admit when something is indeed garbage.

To those who run a decent shop with a decent mark up should get extra accolades. Most places around here will not walk across the room to be fair. I had a friend who started and ran a mostly Stihl business for forty years who was quite successful. His labor was high his parts were high but he did what he said. About five years ago he sold the shop and you guessed it as it is run poor and dishonest. Thanks

To those who run a decent shop with a decent mark up should get extra accolades. Most places around here will not walk across the room to be fair. I had a friend who started and ran a mostly Stihl business for forty years who was quite successful. His labor was high his parts were high but he did what he said. About five years ago he sold the shop and you guessed it as it is run poor and dishonest. Thanks
It's a sad thing but you are right. I can't imagine how a dishonest business can survive in todays world the way word can travel so quickly but somehow they are.

The OP was very close to resolving the problem. Instead passed on the solution. Live and learn.

Latest posts

Back