Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildman ben

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all, on the verge of buying a 372xp xtorq, not sure if you can buy the non XT anymore or which is better, but I was thinking to put a big bore kit in it, and lightly porting it also. and I imagine the ignition would need to be adjusted with these mods also. Living in B.C. Canada we have walkers saw shop that has a pretty good name, but i've been hearing mixed reviews about their work latley, so just wondering who you guys go to to port / polish your saws, adjust big bore kits ect. in B.C. Canada or northern washington would be within my reach also.

I'm from Maple Ridge, but mostly out of revelstoke / golden, there is a decent shop in salmon arm.

it really all depends what you wanna spend. i got a few 372's ported by different people from local to as far as the eastern states. if yer looking to stay in BC the best runner is simonized saws but he is also the most expense with the easiest amount of work for himself. walkers will likely be the best value. you cutting for a living?

it really all depends what you wanna spend. i got a few 372's ported by different people from local to as far as the eastern states. if yer looking to stay in BC the best runner is simonized saws but he is also the most expense with the easiest amount of work for himself. walkers will likely be the best value. you cutting for a living?

simonized saws, I'll check em out, where is he out of? yea cutting for a living, so I want it hopped up as a work saw not a race saw know what I mean? more performance but also longevity

so what do you do? you a faller? revelstoke is about as good as it gets inland. my grandfather worked there for many years and he said it's the only place with even the slightest resemblance to the coast. I'm a new faller as well. simonized saws is in Campbell river. there's also Deaks saw house but i like the simonized 372's better.

so what do you do? you a faller? revelstoke is about as good as it gets inland. my grandfather worked there for many years and he said it's the only place with even the slightest resemblance to the coast. I'm a new faller as well. simonized saws is in Campbell river. there's also Deaks saw house but i like the simonized 372's better.

yea I heard of deeks recently also, I found an old post from simonized, 372 is $350-400 for woods mod, is that still correct? does he put the 52mm piston kit in? a.k.a. big bore? Yea I'm a new faller, right out of golden, 2 hours east of revelstoke haha, but revelstoke doesn't have any saw builders as far as I could find, salmon arm does but still not very recognized. shipping couldn't be too much to the island and back anyhow, or just buy from him and one way ship to me.

when did you do your course? deak would be cheaper then simon but simons saws do run better. even if all he does is a 266 piston with a pop up in the factory cylinder lol

a 266 piston? lol thats odd. does it gain CC's? I like the idea of the 52mm big bore at 75-76cc's unless this way gets the same too? how do you reach these guys just by phone? I don't see email's anywhere

it doesn't gain any CC. basicly, by using the 266 piston he gains a whole bunch of intake timing and compression with the pop up cut on the piston. his saws run good but i got ones that run better from another builder down south. the only big bore option i would consider is the husky XPW cylinder which is not available in Canada and it 75cc. i have a 372 with a 52mm AM big bore and while it runs good i wouldn't want to have to rely on it for long. works out to be 77cc. so when and where did you do your new fallers course? i did mine in sointula last year. what do you have for a saw right now? i might trade ya for a ported 372.

ah interesting, what can you tell me about deaks then? haha I mean the CC doesn't matter too much if its torquey i guess, put on a 8 pin sprocket if I wanted more speed eh. right now i've got a 461, DP muffler, love the power of this saw but the vibration really gets to me after a week or so of running it every day, so looking to try out a husky, or maybe the new 661 with the springs, but probably a husky. I'm going the enform route for falling, not doing any big trees like there is out on the coast more eastern BC and Alberta stuff

So what stage are you at now? We have another member here going the same route. Depending on the condition of your 461 I have a 372 I would trade. It's ported and is all tight.

when did you do your course?

Going off topic here

I have watched and enjoyed the BC Falling Standards videos and learned a lot from them. Do fallers in BC or Canada have to take that or another course and then pass tests and be certified to legally work as a faller?

I know some Scandinavian countries require certification and licensing to legally work as a faller

a guy has to take that course which is $31,080 currently, once out he has to perform 180 days before he can get certified and even then it don't mean he will pass the certification. i know guys who have been in it 2 years and still not certified but then some get certified in 4 months. it's all about how fast you progress or where you are to begin with. the 180 day is just stupid. some contractors get their trainee's certified sooner if he see's the trainee is capable and some wait til the last moment so they can pay him less. alot of guys from back east come here with a dream to fall tree's. the biggest thing is having some saw experience as some come here with no saw handling skills whatsoever and are just a danger to themselves and the people who have to work with them.

372XPs are one of the saws that respond best to porting and a muffler mod. The porting by itself will give 30% gains so is well worth doing in a work saw and is one of the saws most favoured in all the saws I have ported.

a guy has to take that course which is $31,080 currently, once out he has to perform 180 days before he can get certified and even then it don't mean he will pass the certification. i know guys who have been in it 2 years and still not certified but then some get certified in 4 months. it's all about how fast you progress or where you are to begin with. the 180 day is just stupid. some contractors get their trainee's certified sooner if he see's the trainee is capable and some wait til the last moment so they can pay him less. alot of guys from back east come here with a dream to fall tree's. the biggest thing is having some saw experience as some come here with no saw handling skills whatsoever and are just a danger to themselves and the people who have to work with them.

Dude

$31,000

Thats insane

I understand not wanting just any untrained jack@$$ with a chainsaw loose around other workers but man.....

My hat is off to you sir :bowdown:

i didn't pay that much lol. that's what it is though. i was sponsored through it. an untrained jackass could still be trained and end up in the industry but jackasses have to meet or exceed a standard of workmanship otherwise they won't make it. so the silver lining is it keep the idiots out of the woods and the rates of the certified fallers up because not just anyone can do the job. alot of people don't agree with it but IMO it's a good thing.

Back