Saw size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks buzz sawyer, do you think I can top a pine tree and work my way down with a Poulan deluxe xxv. It is a old saw maybe in the 70’s but runs well. After I get lower like 20-25’ I’d use my larger saw.

Climbers use top handle saws and are well prepared for what happens if you suddenly need to drop the saw and grab on to something. They're also tied off in case the wood they're climbing goes away, and they generally have a partner on the ground.

Going up a tree (or ladder even) for the first time with no gear and an old Poulan is not recommended by a large number of people with broken bones and/or chainsaw scars.

as long ay your "pro" isnt named Matt, you should be good

but yes, I agree with the others, topping a tree is much more dangerous than it looks, and even I (a relatively experienced climber) get sketched out sometimes doing it

not tryin to be rude, but yes, hire a pro, dont jump in head first into topping a tree with a 70's poulan and no experience

Thanks buzz sawyer, do you think I can top a pine tree and work my way down with a Poulan deluxe xxv. It is a old saw maybe in the 70’s but runs well. After I get lower like 20-25’ I’d use my larger saw.
I've climbed many years ago with a Small Poulan 2150. It was tricky but I had the skill to drop trees from the top down. I used good climbing system. Here are some common mistakes that can kill a man. #1. Taking to much of the tree off at one time. When the weight of the falling top goes over and pushes back as it falls the tree trunk can vibrate quiet a bit. If you are not secured you can fall. If the tree is dead it can snap off and fall with you on it. I recommend taking off smaller pieces rather than large pieces.
#2. Ladders.
I could write a book on the dangers of ladders. I NEVER recommend ANYONE stand on a ladder with a saw. Many times the falling limb knocks the ladder down. Years ago I saw a guy trim a low branch off a live oak. The branch was hanging over his driveway. It was a tempting horizontal branch 3 or 4 inches thick where he planned to cut it off. He could easily lay an extended metal ladder past the limb. I told him to TIE the ladder to the limb because when all the end weight was suddenly removed the limb was going to jump up. So he secured the ladder onto the limb. Next I recommended he tie the two halves of the ladder but hey, naw, to much trouble. So he cuts 300 ? or so pounds off and I'm back watching when the remaining stub jumps violently upward. He managed to hang on but the jumping limb went high and allowed the two piece extension ladder to separate. There he was dangling on the top half while the bottom half lay on the ground below. I rescued him with another ladder but he learned a lesson. Even when I go into my roof on an extension ladder I tied the two parts together. That way I can pull it up move it to the other side while still on my roof.
On some trees I've had a helper assist with a 24 foot extension ladder. I've used it to reach into a tree where I got off the ladder and had him move it clear and I was able to remove a few limbs the easy way. But all in all there are different levels. Removing a few limbs isn't like taking a while top out. Here on the farm I've got several trees I want to top but at 74 I'm becoming hesitant to climb like I once did. Good luck.

My pine tree I used a Poulan pro pole saw. Cut all the branches up them dropped the tree. I wish they had another extension for the pole saw.

as long ay your "pro" isnt named Matt, you should be good

but yes, I agree with the others, topping a tree is much more dangerous than it looks, and even I (a relatively experienced climber) get sketched out sometimes doing it

not tryin to be rude, but yes, hire a pro, dont jump in head first into topping a tree with a 70's poulan and no experience

Well, I've only got a Poulan/Craftsman. All the work I do can't be as "pro" as the Lumber Jack Matts work.

Back