Saw storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’ve gone back and forth with how I want to store saws. I drew up a few different plans, settled on hanging staggered, vertical for now. Might change. I had them on a stainless wire shelving unit but it was big and didn’t make good use of its size. I like this rig for now. The saws don’t move, I was pounding 16 penny nails in the lower rack while saws hung from the upper, none hit me in the head. Plan is to put the keepers and most used here. In the loft I have mostly the ones to be built then sold same with the shelf. On the rack now are Poulan 3450(60cc), 10mm 044, craftsman thin ring 3.7, Homelite 923XL,Poulan S25DA, Remington, dolmar 540 and Poulan 3750.92C7A772-50C5-41A1-95EA-563134A0A4A8.jpegA1D0955C-B945-4CAC-AD7C-BA38F2BD98C8.jpeg60905EA4-E15F-4D86-A768-33BBC3627C1E.jpegC5D3613D-23D6-4AFF-87C2-190504D5C7F8.jpeg

Yeah frosting the glass is probably a good idea. Doors are locked, we have an angry dog who barks at a falling leaf and my location (little crime/scumbags) are in my favor but, all it takes is one. I had a 1 year old $400 Kawasaki back pack stole from my truck while I was doing a clean up in the city. I was furious. Still am. Lots of junkies over there I’m sure it got pawned for $50. I called them all and even with the serial number none were willing to help. I’ll look into frosted glass

I was pounding in the rack below with a 22oz Estwing with the saws hanging above. Just to see how theyd hold, driving the wheel horse and my 36” WB mower in. I jumped up and down, None moved. I’ll check this morning I’ll find 8 saws on the floor

I’ve gone back and forth with how I want to store saws. I drew up a few different plans, settled on hanging staggered, vertical for now. Might change. I had them on a stainless wire shelving unit but it was big and didn’t make good use of its size. I like this rig for now. The saws don’t move, I was pounding 16 penny nails in the lower rack while saws hung from the upper, none hit me in the head. Plan is to put the keepers and most used here. In the loft I have mostly the ones to be built then sold same with the shelf. On the rack now are Poulan 3450(60cc), 10mm 044, craftsman thin ring 3.7, Homelite 923XL,Poulan S25DA, Remington, dolmar 540 and Poulan 3750.View attachment 810863View attachment 810865View attachment 810866View attachment 810867
Can you please show a picture of exactly the type of hanger and how you hang your saws in the first photo?

I hung many saws this way and found that the bar oil all leaks out because of changing temperatures and gravity and then it is hard to get them pumping oil again after refilling as they end up with air bubbles in the oil tube
this was predominantly pro Stihl models over 70cc and wasnt a huge problem but was frustrating because the first time it happened i thought the oil pump had died and ended up replacing it <doh>
Dave

I hung many saws this way and found that the bar oil all leaks out because of changing temperatures and gravity and then it is hard to get them pumping oil again after refilling as they end up with air bubbles in the oil tube
this was predominantly pro Stihl models over 70cc and wasnt a huge problem but was frustrating because the first time it happened i thought the oil pump had died and ended up replacing it <doh>
Dave
Interesting I’ll have to see how they do. I looked earlier and no drips. I will say when I had them on the wire shelving all the saws on the lower shelves had oil on them. They seem to all leak in any position. I hung a cabinet in there earlier. Then got called in for kid duty. We are on alternating days at the grounds garage so only one guy in shop. And we can be outside working for another week

(2) 11/16” x 8” threaded rod drilled 1 1/2” into a 2” 10”. The 16 penny spike just keeps the saw from leaning on the recoil side. Doesn’t support the weight of the sawAA133A41-6C98-49DC-A7FB-6E7CAEA24F4B.jpeg

Back