Saw strap issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been using the Vario chainsaw strap with the two clips that allow you to switch between different saws quickly. As with most gear, you have to use your gear to realize their true benefits/drawbacks.

The problem I've been having with it is that I naturally tend to grab the strap by the area with the clips and twice I've accidentally un-clipped one of two. I've always noticed right when I've done it, but if by chance I happen to un-clip both at the same time, I'm guessing it's going to slip out of my hand and my saw is going to fall.

Anyone else use this strap? I really like being able to switch between my top handle and my 261 quickly when I need to without having to take my lanyard off my saddle. However, one of my saws drop and I'm not going to be happy about it.

I have the two rings attached to a very small loop on my saddle which keeps it perfectly out of the way. I don't want to use a carabiner there because I like how compact and out of the way my current system is. That system, however, doesn't allow me to remove the lanyard from my harness quickly or at all when I'm in the tree. This makes saw straps with static loops for the saw impossible...

Any suggestions? What strap do you use and how do you handle switching between saws quickly? Guessing most use carabiners?

I take situations like this as a cue to slow down and be more deliberate about what I'm doing.
I use the cheap dog lead type strap, I just have an extra to put on my rear handle saw. I never take the one off my climbing saw. I have a 2nd top handle with no strap as a spare, and to use in the bucket.
I had bought a caritool clip to replace a broken latch on my saddle. One day I clipped my split tail to it accidentally. I knew it right away, but, like I said, that was a prompt for me to slow down and be more deliberate in my work.

Back