Saw Troll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to say so - but as I recall it, that one belongs to a model "family" that sort of was a "low point" in the Jonsered(s) story - and represent Jonsereds attempt to design lighter and less costly saws than (most of) their 1970s saws themselves. This lead to rebranded Partner saws being sold as their smaller "pro" saws for a while, starting with the 490.
I believe they work quite well though, as long as they work, but aren't so easy to get right in the long run, as there are more places than usual where they may start leaking air?

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...801048d6175e831988256b6b00189180?OpenDocument
It's been hard to gather them all up
The 450 is my late brother in laws now nephews.
But i believe i own most every saw you don't like
20171121_155628.jpg 20171112_142203.jpg 20171104_140656.jpg and i have a dolmar 115 lol20171127_134256.jpg

It's been hard to gather them all up
The 450 is my late brother in laws now nephews.
But i believe i own most every saw you don't like
View attachment 617419 View attachment 617420 View attachment 617421 and i have a dolmar 115 lolView attachment 617422

I wouldn't mind a 115 myself, but none of them happened to go my way. They are a bit tall of course for a 50cc saw (well, 52 or so), because of the 34mm stroke - but the outboard clutch design helps a lot regarding handling.
The Army here bought quite a few of them in the early 1990s, to replace the Partner P55 - and I've never seen those Dolmars offered for sale, so I guess they still are in the inventory?

Don't make the mistake of believing the above is 100% correct, I'm just going by memory (and possibly ignorance on a point or two).

Thanks, good to know. It seems that I either see 180's or 480's for sale. Not sure if they were more common than the 280/380 or if I have just been randomly seeing more of them.

The "budget" version was of course the 77, but then there was no AV - power rating was the same as for the 180, 280 and 380 though.

All those were 76.5 cc, and the 480CD soon was replaced by the stronger 181SE, that was 80.7 cc - but also a bulkier saw that didn't handle as well, although lighter (more plastic).
I have never used any of them myself, so this is at best second hand info.

I wouldn't mind a 115 myself, but none of them happened to go my way. They are a bit tall of course for a 50cc saw (well, 52 or so), because of the 34mm stroke - but the outboard clutch design helps a lot regarding handling.
The Army here bought quite a few of them in the early 1990s, to replace the Partner P55 - and I've never seen those Dolmars offered for sale, so I guess they still are in the inventory?

Don't make the mistake of believing the above is 100% correct, I'm just going by memory (and possibly ignorance on a point or two).
I never ran a dolmar before last year
The 115 is a lighter saw with good torque
I loan it out to friends and they all want to buy it lol
The 166 i have not so light

I never ran a dolmar before last year
The 115 is a lighter saw with good torque
I loan it out to friends and they all want to buy it lol
The 166 i have not so light

At least the somewhat late production (meaning about 2002 and later) 115s aren't as light as the specs once used to say, but at least they corrected it at some point, at least on some markets. It was good enough as it was, they didn't need to lie - but they did, and changed the specs only after reliable test reports (KWF, a German test system) told that the model was over a pound heavier than advertised.

Of course I don't know if different alloys has been used in the production trough the years, and if the actual weight varies with when the saw was made.

At this point I don't trust anything that Dolmar (or Makita, that owns Dolmar) states on any market - but that doesn't mean that the saws are bad - many of them obviously aren't.

At least the somewhat late production (meaning about 2002 and later) 115s aren't as light as the specs once used to say, but at least they corrected it at some point, at least on some markets. It was good enough as it was, they didn't need to lie - but they did, and changed the specs only after reliable test reports (KWF, a German test system) told that the model was over a pound heavier than advertised.

Of course I don't know if different alloys has been used in the production trough the years, and if the actual weight varies with when the saw was made.

At this point I don't trust anything that Dolmar (or Makita, that owns Dolmar) states on any market - but that doesn't mean that the saws are bad - many of them obviously aren't.
There is one thing I noticed about my vintage Makita 520i that is indeed interesting. If you run it every day, it always starts on the first pull even after it sits quiet for a full day. I have never owned a Stihl, Husky, Echo, Mac, Poulan, Homie, or any other saw that could do that on a regular basis. I suppose it's just a quirk, but in my case, that's the case. This saw just plain loves to run.

If you run it every day, it always starts on the first pull even after it sits quiet for a full day.
(same thing with my electrics!)

Actually, I was always impressed that my 3HP Toro snowthrower, with the 2-cycle Tecumseh engine would start on the first or second pull, after sitting for 7 - 8 months. Also surprised to find out that it did not have an air filter (related? ).

Philbert

It' funny this thread pops up. I'e been wondering where the troll has been. Missed his posts.
I was almost thinking with the specs on the new 462 being so far superior to the 572, he might have got so disgusted he just went and gave up.
But as the troll will tell ya, specs don't tell the whole story.......
Glad to see your still around troll, this place would not be the same without ya!:cheers:

(same thing with my electrics!)

Actually, I was always impressed that my 3HP Toro snowthrower, with the 2-cycle Tecumseh engine would start on the first or second pull, after sitting for 7 - 8 months. Also surprised to find out that it did not have an air filter (related? ).

Philbert
All the snowblowers I've worked on did not have air filters either. I suppose not much dust to worry about immediately after a snow storm. Snowmobiles do not have a filter outside a coarse element to keep snow from being ingested.

It' funny this thread pops up. I'e been wondering where the troll has been. Missed his posts.
I was almost thinking with the specs on the new 462 being so far superior to the 572, he might have got so disgusted he just went and gave up.
But as the troll will tell ya, specs don't tell the whole story.......
Glad to see your still around troll, this place would not be the same without ya!:cheers:

Thank you - and I don't know how the 572 compares to the 462 - haven't even looked into the specs yet, but I'm sure that I will at some point.

Sorry to say so - but as I recall it, that one belongs to a model "family" that sort of was a "low point" in the Jonsered(s) story - and represent Jonsereds attempt to design lighter and less costly saws than (most of) their 1970s saws themselves. This lead to rebranded Partner saws being sold as their smaller "pro" saws for a while, starting with the 490.
I believe they work quite well though, as long as they work, but aren't so easy to get right in the long run, as there are more places than usual where they may start leaking air?

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...801048d6175e831988256b6b00189180?OpenDocument
thanks for the info the saw seems to run just fine and has decent power but it does lack bucking spikes which annoys me to no end.
sorry i was late to respond i have been busy with life.

thanks for the info the saw seems to run just fine and has decent power but it does lack bucking spikes which annoys me to no end.
sorry i was late to respond i have been busy with life.

I usually remove any "bucking spikes" from smaller saws (like about 60cc and down) - but then I usually use relatively short bars on them as well. Each to his own...

I usually remove any "bucking spikes" from smaller saws (like about 60cc and down) - but then I usually use relatively short bars on them as well. Each to his own...

We do the same around here, no need to force little saws in a cut, sharp self feeding chains do the cutting not forcing dull chain into the wood. My bigger saws, 046 066 on up still have their ,bucking spikes , but they get more felling duty than the smaller saws.

We do the same around here, no need to force little saws in a cut, sharp self feeding chains do the cutting not forcing dull chain into the wood. My bigger saws, 046 066 on up still have their ,bucking spikes , but they get more felling duty than the smaller saws.

Exactly - and for felling with small saws/short bars the spikes mainly just are in the way (have done quite a bit of that, as most trees aren't so large here).

Latest posts

Back