Saw Vibration ratings: Old vs New.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand/calculate the vibration of old non-antivibe saws, as compared to newer modern saws.
On Husqvarna's website they show the 372XP vibration ratings as 5.7 m/s at the top handle, and 8.0 m/s at the rear handle.
Question: Does anyone know what the vibration ratings are for a McCulloch Pro Mac 700 ?

Interesting how the 372 m/s2 A (8) started with the 371xp front 3.1/4.6 rear to still fairly recently about 3.9front/3.6 rear with the 372
I was getting some high vibration stats on 390 xp and 395 a few yrs ago but they were most often advertised with the much lower ratings everywhere else.
So now they rate the 372 for an average of 8 metres per second sq ,average over 8 hours.
On the vibration magnitude charts in Europe this means a worker shouldn't run a 372 for longer than 3 hours per day as you can't accumulate over 400 points or over 121 in an hour. With the strongest vibration being 8M/S 2 = about 130
I guess they couldn't have their new technology vibrating much more than their '80s design on paper so after 25 yrs dubble the .vibrations by changing the paperwork?Who would notice? How may manuals have they printed?
The 572 comes in at 5
That is the max at 50 points an hour to legally run an 8 hour day.

I'm trying to understand/calculate the vibration of old non-antivibe saws, as compared to newer modern saws.
On Husqvarna's website they show the 372XP vibration ratings as 5.7 m/s at the top handle, and 8.0 m/s at the rear handle.
Question: Does anyone know what the vibration ratings are for a McCulloch Pro Mac 700 ?

For me the PM700 is rated at one tank - then my left hand is too numb to trust. Double gloves help. Also its big brother the 82cc MAC has A/V which in my opinion dampen vibes better than many modern spring A/V saws.

Ron

Excellent information.

Interesting how the 372 m/s2 A (8) started with the 371xp front 3.1/4.6 rear to still fairly recently about 3.9front/3.6 rear with the 372
I was getting some high vibration stats on 390 xp and 395 a few yrs ago but they were most often advertised with the much lower ratings everywhere else.
So now they rate the 372 for an average of 8 metres per second sq ,average over 8 hours.
On the vibration magnitude charts in Europe this means a worker shouldn't run a 372 for longer than 3 hours per day as you can't accumulate over 400 points or over 121 in an hour. With the strongest vibration being 8M/S 2 = about 130
I guess they couldn't have their new technology vibrating much more than their '80s design on paper so after 25 yrs dubble the .vibrations by changing the paperwork?Who would notice? How may manuals have they printed?
The 572 comes in at 5
That is the max at 50 points an hour to legally run an 8 hour day.

Yes Ron, I think you are right.
Even when I was a young man, I can remember how my hands went numb and ached after running an old MAC 10-10 all day. Have not done that in a long time !!!
I'm not sure if anyone ever came up with accurate vibration numbers on the PM 700, it's got to be almost double what the 372XP comes in at... am I making a truthful statement?
No wonder so many old timers cut sections of bicycle tire inner tubes, and put them in between the top handle and the mount on the crank case.

For me the PM700 is rated at one tank - then my left hand is too numb to trust. Double gloves help. Also its big brother the 82cc MAC has A/V which in my opinion dampen vibes better than many modern spring A/V saws.

Ron

Excellent information.
So before posting that, I checked the Husqvarna site as I ran the 371/372 Professionally from it's beginning in 1996 to 2017 and knowing ms2 was about 3.6/4.0.
As a matter of fact, I confirmed that today through a manual online and that's what the 372 oe finished its run at.
I believe the 372 xtorq was slightly less but now they won't show the data.
You can look up the 371xp manual from the '90s and it will show you
362/365/371 under Technical Data.
365 was only front/back 3.5/3.6 & 371 was 3.1/4 6.
Anyway I was shocked to see Husqvarna post front/back 5.7/8.0 (as you posted)
I was searching a lot of saws about 3 yrs ago on this matter at the time when they started releasing the data on the new MS 462,500i & 572.
That's when the 390 was coming up on the Husqvarna site as about 6.5/ 7.5 but in manuals and distributors then when they were around 5 m/s acceleration
At the end of that day It seemed the more I learnt...the less I knew.
The 372 vibes more than the 390 on paper now
The 395 came in at 10 on one hand/arm
That's 4 times the magnitude as the 572 on the vibration chart/calculator.
Where as you can run the 572 for 8 hour to accumulate the max 400 points at 50 point an hour. 400 points would be reached at 2 hours with the 395. Not to exceed 121 points in one hour. So basically it's rated to run about 36 min per hour until you reach 120 minutes and that's the day with hand held equipment, so as to prevent HAVS (Hand/Arm Vibration Syndrome)
This has been a recognized international organisation since 2001. It's since been adopted in north America.
The vibration of the 372 has had an average acceleration of 4 metres per second per every second for 20+ yrs. Now they say its 8 m/s
6 hours run time was 190 points.
As of last night I find out it's 770 in that time.
I went from half the limit to almost twice the limit, over night.
I want to find out if the manufacturer was lying then or are the lying now??
I really hope they were lying then.
They have been known to lie about the saw weights and seem to be more accurate these days on that so maybe these numbers are real? I could see them not having a foot to stand on in a court room, though.

Having said all that... how can we gauge m/s if the manufacturers are dishonest?

I read some specs on hand held equipment today and often old equipment had triple the acceleration compared to modern equipment.
They had chainsaws at 6m/s average
So maybe you are between 12-18m/s 2
Roughly 30-60ft per sec for every second
Google "HAVS chart, images"

Depends on the saw. Mostly depends on the condition of the AV system. I can't tell a difference in springs vs rubber mounts because I'm usually focused on the job and my souroundings before how much the saw vibrates. Obviously a older non AV saw such as Homelite Super XL or Poulan Micro 25, your gonna feel that tingle in your hands very intesnse, but a newer saw with a good condition AV system, they all feel about the same imo, whether its my 1983 028 Super or 2019 372xp. Technology has came a long ways over the years, but AV systems haven't changed all that much.

I can remember when a Mac PM700 was considered real easy to run compared to some of it's predecessors. "Cutters Curl" was just something we put up with. I was worse with some of the older designs than with the 700/7-10, etc.

I seem to notice the vibrations on non-av saws more when they're out of the cut. Especially on the smaller saws, they seem to lose quite a bit of vibration when they're in the wood. The most vibration I felt recently in a saw was a slow revving electric, a lot of vibration came from that slow moving chain chattering away in the wood. A lot to be said for a fast moving chain when it comes to a smooth feeling cut, or going to a shorter pitch chain.
A high speed electric with a short pitch chain is probably going to be the least amount of vibration we will ever experience sawing wood.

Back