Saws That Surprised You

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duce,

The jonny 590 is a 50cc saw. I thought you mentioned that you've only ever liked the 550xp in that class..?

the Dolmar 5105, while not the superlative handler as the 550xp, will destroy the 550 in overall power characteristics, imo.

the old jonny has very similar power feel as the 5105, only slightly less. The 590 feels really good in the hands with really nice balance because there's slightly more weight in your rear hand. It also rolls around easily and comfortably.

Eegads! Electric chainsaws! Yuck!.
....but my electric string trimmer works decently..
Went and bought another wood splitter today, the guy had a little stihl battery saw, he said he really likes it, thats coming from a guy who had a nice stihl pole saw, a 441, 361, and a 170.
They'll only get better.

the Dolmar 5105, while not the superlative handler as the 550xp, will destroy the 550 in overall power characteristics, imo.
Certainly not the best handling 50cc saw(and fat too for a 50) but I guess if it has more grunt for you then that's great for running a longer bar. t I like a 50 primarily for limbing and would take a 550mk1 or mk2 over one any day, unless it was one with heat and it was cold out :cold:.

How does that 520 compare to the 353? Weight, handling, power, maintenance? when you get a minute...
Both saws have about the same power, weight, and balance. The 520i used to poop some bar oil when at rest, but I fixed that. The 520i is older, so it has a toggle on/off switch, separate choke control, and the chain tension screw is in the front. not on the side. These are not complaints from my end, but I did notice that the chain brake tends to engage too easily and rather sudden. Other than that, the 520i is a pleasure to use, just like the 353. Both are terrific firewood saws, start easily, and pull an 18" B/C with ease.

Even though it's a pain in the ass to put fuel lines in it cuts well, but vibrates enough to make a concrete medusa wet.
That's why I converted my 32cc to the A/V chassis. With a muffler mod, a minor porting and a bigger carb it's perfect pulling a 12" McCulloch bar. The large diameter bar nose is somehow much easier to place accurately, and the saw will pull anything in that range. It's now one of my most used saws.

Back