Saws That Surprised You

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What saws have your acquired or operated that ran better than you expected? Or worse than expected?

For me, I was pleasantly surprised by my Homelite 360, that thing had torque like crazy until the intake boot failed. Also Poulan 5020 and 4218 after I did muffler mods on them. And 10mm 044.

Did not impress: Stihl 362 and 12mm 440

My jonny 590's. They can keep up to pretty much anything their size.

I don't get the ms362 hatin'? Mine feels at least as strong as my 262xp and certainly has more than my Echo 590. And the antivibe is above reproach. Mine is not mtronic. The early-ish version mtronic ones I ran were wheezy, in comparison, imo.

I really liked my echo CS-3400, my first saw... that thing took so much abuse before dying it's crazy.
My 661 blew me away, by far my favorite saw I have ever owned. I bought it as a big, use sometimes saw & I now pick it over all the saws I own for almost every task I doon the ground. Sure it's heavy on the scale, but it doesn't handle heavy. Tons of power, great chain speed, easy starting, puts a huge grin on my face:)
did not impress; makita 7900. I heard so many great things about this saw & my experience was so so.
Heavy, not overly powerful, anemic oiler. Meh, its a good saw, but it falls short of the hype by a mile.
Husky 394. Not impressed. Sure, it has boat loads of power, oil's great, and rips through any wood running long bars with easy, but it handles like a tanker ship anchor and I hate running it enough to actively avoid it.

I was going to start a thread very similar to this one the other day and never got around to it.

Of all the saws I have, the 562XP blows me away everytime I run it. It cuts above its weight class.

My Husqvarna 450 also blows me away from a performance standpoint. I know its just a "homeowner" grade saw, but it feels much more powerful than other 50cc saws I have run.

I have been pleased with my 35 cc earthquake I bought some years ago after reading the thread here titled dissecting the earthquake chainsaw. They were like 35 bucks and mine still runs well and starts easily. And its light weight.
Edit- I forgot to say, I bought 3 of them, I use the one, gave one away and the 3rd was never put to wood and still hasn't been.

562xp. My saw shop guy tried for a few years to get me to try one but I told him it wasn't enough saw for me. We were both right, its a cutting machine if you give it its time but you cant load up on it. I now use a 562 for 95% of my cutting needs. I still go back to a 390xp though when it comes time to cut veneer grade timber.

Both of these saws were throwed at me for parts.
Non-runners.
Poulan S25CVA . Looked bad. chain was hanging and links rusted so much chain was stiff. Lots of oil and dirt. Surprised it would pull through. Added a prime and it started and idled for while.. Surprise. Ask guys on this forum about the little feller. Several bragged on the old Poulan. I replaced fuel line and other clean-up and got it to starting and running strong. Very good cutting light weight trim saw, pulls 16 inch bar with ease. Always starts up and reliable. (but I'm not a later Model Poulan/Craftsman fan, but tjos pld model Poulan is a diamond in the rough. Will run reliable circles around the little Homies that I have.

Next is a Stihl 034, give to me as a non-runner was headed for metal dump bin as a low compression saw. Was still all together. Reported low compression.
Saw had 90-140 transmission grease and dirt 1/4 inch thick all over the saw.
Too nasty to take inside shop. I hauled it in a trash bag in the back of the truck.
Checked comp as good. cleaned it enough to get a part run.
Long story short the pulse tube was split behind the carb. Good reliable easy start saw. 16 inch bar and had like new chain on it already.

Both a surprise and good runners.

Homelite Super EZ....can't believe they are what 41cc? They cut crazy for an old saw.

Also my Pioneer 1074. I got it with a few Macs I bought. Was gonna just sell it off til I ran it. Small lightweight rugged built 51cc that pulls like much bigger engine. Also starts easy, cuts great, and can idle all day.

Poulan 3000's. They rip for 49cc's.
Jonsereds 630''s. Amazing grunt for saws approaching 40 years.
Homelite XL-76/130's. The granny's grocery getter of vintage small block muscle saws.
Stihl 064. Pound for pound the definitive wood sabre.

Really would like to find a 3000 they seem like great little saws

Latest posts

Back