Saws without chains are dangerous too- PPE for the shop??? (graphic alert)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could have been worse, thankfully not. Makes me want to line my shop walls with shelving instead of sitting stuff in the floor.

Me too..... Almost... :).

Good grief... That's gross. I once climbed in behind my lathe to get a bowl I was turning just right and banged my upper arm into the chisel hanging on the wall. My wife almost threw up when I asked he to hold it together while I butterflied it together...lol. Talk about a brain fart.

I feel your pain brotha..... Thanks for the nasty pics! Hope you heal fast! :)

I guess I'm the black sheep here, but those wounds don't look like much to me. I can't imagine going to the docter and getting stitched up for that scratch.

Tony

Tony, honestly, I was very hesitant to go. But the wife was persistent that I get it seen. I was glad she did when the Dr told me I had nicked a tendon. I now know to be careful for a while. Otherwise, I could have ruptured it and needed surgery for to repair it.

I make a point of keeping scabbards on my saws when not in use.

I was thinking about that. Might have expected to keep scabbards on saws with chains. Would not have expected this injury from a naked bar. Of course, anyone who has 'child proofed' a house for a new baby or grandchild knows that there are lots of sharp corners and edges in an average home. Any type of working shop has plenty of hazards if you fall against them and hit them just right.

Again, glad that you seem to be in good spirits despite the mishap. Thanks for reminding us that we still need to keep our wits about us, even when doing simple, basic things.

Philbert

Could have been worse, thankfully not. Makes me want to line my shop walls with shelving instead of sitting stuff in the floor.

I have about 60 saws in an 18' x 22' shop. Stuff not being on the floor simply isn't an option...but thanks for the safety tip.

I wasn't giving advice, simply stating how it made me feel about my shop. If you had hit the bar with your face you might feel differently

Actually the bleeding wasn't too bad.

I have about 60 saws in an 18' x 22' shop. Stuff not being on the floor simply isn't an option...but thanks for the safety tip.

Not trying to tell you your business, but how's about a shed to house the saws that aren't being worked on?

Or.....putting as many shelves on the walls of your shop as possible.

Or.....I could just butt out and just say be careful. :msp_wink:

Even after 12 years as a Paramedic, I'm always in awe of the really nasty cuts that running chainsaws give. They "tear" fat and muscle out, and leave a gaping hole... and take a lot of stopping, which bones are not that good at....have seen a few nearly totally severed limbs through guys reaching up to get a branch at home, and the saw falling back on their shoulder or face.
Easily a fatal injury if an artery is hacked, which means digging amongst the tissue to find it, to clamp.

Personally I've cut myself a few times over the years hand filing chains..they are a small cut but sting like crazy..and have been cut on worn bars..they seem to wear a razors edge with age.

Just purchased a long reach petrol hedge trimmer/chainsaw, due to cutting my arm with the old petrol trimmer, being a fool and lifting it above my head to get those annoying branches..never again!! Now I'll be at least a metre away..the V shaped cuts from a petrol hedge trimmer are really painful!

Your wife made a good call, that area of the arm should be treated with a great deal of respect, not much extra before the important parts. If you do not know what to look for you can end up with a diminished capacity hand even though the wound does not look bad.

There seems to be a misunderstanding of the potential of a squared edge to cause damage. A 90 degree steel edge is a "sharp" edge, the thickness of an individual bar rail squared out would make a very effective tool of destruction. Personally surprised his injury was not worse than it appears to be.

Last edited:
I've cut myself on bar rails too. Hope you heal up quickly.

Just an example of how quickly you can get hurt, last week I reached in the door of my truck to get the phone charger. Apparently the end got hooked in the seat because when I pulled on it, it snapped back and hit me square in the eye. The pain was incredible, had blurred vision and a lot of swelling for two days. Its ok now but it could have been a lot worse. All I could think was what a silly way to get hurt. :confused:

Your wife made a good call, that area of the arm should be treated with a great deal of respect, not much extra before the important parts. If you do not know what to look for you can end up with a diminished capacity hand even though the wound does not look bad.

There seems to be a misunderstanding of the potential of a squared edge to cause damage. A 90 degree steel edge is a "sharp" edge, the thickness of an individual bar rail squared out would make a very effective tool of destruction. Personally surprised his injury was not worse than it appears to be.

agree... a nice sharp 90 will cut almost as good as the edge on a knife... tune up a bar & try it...

Hope you heal up fast. Starting to get wood cutting weather and alot of GTG's are coming on. Take care bro.

Ouch!

Dang Neil that is a nasty looking arm! Sorry to hear about your mishap. We really can't be too careful with the equipment we are around all the time. Get well bud

Just an example of how quickly you can get hurt, last week I reached in the door of my truck to get the phone charger. Apparently the end got hooked in the seat because when I pulled on it, it snapped back and hit me square in the eye. The pain was incredible, had blurred vision and a lot of swelling for two days. Its ok now but it could have been a lot worse. All I could think was what a silly way to get hurt. :confused:

I cut the side of my leg to the bone while washing a car once. 16 stitches, half of which were inside. All because I hit the license plate. :bang:

At one of my previous employers, some office dweller was cutting something with his pocketknife and managed to stab himself in the face.

There are much, much more silly ways to get hurt. :msp_smile:

Neal, heal up soon.
That which does not kill....makes you pay more attention when you are tired, aggravated, distracted ect.

The older i get the more i realize if i cant give 100% attention to anything going on in the shop....i go upstairs and watch tv.

Thats not to say you were any of the above, its just how i keep getting older.

Stay strong brotha...

Ouch!

I have very similar scars from ’87 or ’88. I was temporarily storing my stuff at a friend’s place. It was an old log structure garage that someone had driven a couple of 12” spikes in on an angle and balanced a 1” x 10” on them about 6’ above ground. I placed one of my saws on the shelf to keep it safe from the chaos on the floor.

When I came back there was even more stuff in there so that I was overreaching for a saw about 6’ up while standing 3 ½’ - 4’ away. Come to think about it the reach may have been so great that I was supporting myself with my left hand against the wall below the shelf. As I reached with my right hand something shifted and the saw fell and the razor sharp chisel chain raked the inside of my left wrist.

My wounds were very similar except they started at the heel of my hand and went to about the same point on the inside of my wrist and there were 5 or 6 strands. I was probably lucky that it was cool weather and I was wearing a heavy long sleeve flannel shirt under a Carhartt jacket, if it had been T-shirt weather it may have raked the whole inside of my arm.

Anyway, that was the worst that a saw has bitten me when it wasn’t running. I’m glad you're OK!

Dang Neil that is a nasty looking arm! Sorry to hear about your mishap. We really can't be too careful with the equipment we are around all the time. Get well bud

Yep, ugly, but it wasn't painful.

I wear Kevlar gloves when filing and changing chains. I still managed to stab myself with a bucking spike. Heal up fast and well Neal.

Yep, done that too...chains and spikes.

Neal, heal up soon.
That which does not kill....makes you pay more attention when you are tired, aggravated, distracted ect.

The older i get the more i realize if i cant give 100% attention to anything going on in the shop....i go upstairs and watch tv.

Thats not to say you were any of the above, its just how i keep getting older.

Stay strong brotha...

Yep, getting old is my main priority in life.

I cut the side of my leg to the bone while washing a car once. 16 stitches, half of which were inside. All because I hit the license plate. :bang:

At one of my previous employers, some office dweller was cutting something with his pocketknife and managed to stab himself in the face.

There are much, much more silly ways to get hurt. :msp_smile:

Dem office dwellers...oughta stay away from sharp stuff:dizzy:

Hope you heal up fast. Starting to get wood cutting weather and alot of GTG's are coming on. Take care bro.

Wood gathering doesn't start until at least Thanksgiving around here. That's when the temps get low enough, the bugs are gone, and the deer have quit moving during the day.

Yep, it's not the normal stuff that gets me either.

Latest posts

Back