• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Sawtooth Oak Leaf Drop

Big Weed

Big Weed

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi folks. Newbie here, but with a hort background.
My beloved Sawtooth Oak has been dropping leaves.now for two weeks. It is 25 years old. . Stressed ? Lantern fly problem? I don’t see any . Can anyone help ? Oaks are pretty disease resistant, I have a Pin Oak also and it’s ok . I’m beginning to panic..
Dave AC724CF1-A3B5-4C41-8DDF-44809AA6E8EE.jpeg 2269CA09-2603-4075-82F8-F292B6F0F520.jpeg

Woodanhor

Woodanhor

ArboristSite Operative
In my opinion that leave has insect damage

Any beetles or caterpillar out in your area?

Hows the bottom of the leaves look
Hows the weather been in your area

NIP Group
Big Weed

Big Weed

ArboristSite Lurker
I also thought insect damage, but it was very dry there for awhile. Yet that wouldn’t cause spotting. Lately they haven’t fallen due to rains. No beetles that I can see.
Lantern flies wouldn’t cause it, this soon . But I’m not sure either. This is the first year it has happened. I planted it in 1994 - it’s quite big .

STLARBORIST

STLARBORIST

I dont believe its fungal, looks like maybe a mite situation. I dont believe its going to be detrimental to the tree. Too late to treat this year, may not be an issue next year.

Big Weed

Big Weed

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks. But the entire canopy ? One branch dropped leaves last year. But that one is fine this year. I thought , then , that perhaps it was the beginning of something detrimental. What I like about the Sawtooth is you don’t see them
often and they hold their leaves until December.

Able Feller

Able Feller

ArboristSite Lurker
Website
ablefellertreeservice.com