Sawtooth oaks???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My dads having a tree cut down soon. A tree company today told him the tree is a sawtooth oak tree. I’ve never heard of it. Do you guys mill them? What are the boards good for? I’ve thought about keeping the logs and having them milled but I can’t find much information about that type of oak.

Sawtooth oak is native to parts of Asia. In North America it is mostly planted for wildlife, especially turkey and waterfowl which like the small acorns that it produces. I've heard the wood is weak and prone to cracking.

Sawtooth oak is native to parts of Asia. In North America it is mostly planted for wildlife, especially turkey and waterfowl which like the small acorns that it produces. I've heard the wood is weak and prone to cracking.

I'm leaning towards turning it into firewood and being done with it.

There's a good size crack half way down the trunk. A tree company is cutting it down this week for my dad.

Thanks for the information!

Sawtooths are popular to plant because it bears acorns at a much younger age than most North American native Oaks. And Deer hunters usually want acorns, like - yesterday.

I have seen some big Sawtooths in the southern states. I don’t know what the wood is like.

One native that bears quickly is Dwarf Chinkapin Oak. A little hard to find in the native plant trade though - cuz Deer hunters buy up all that are produced.

Back