Sc252 electrical problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please help new operator, new machine owner. Ran the grinder for about 5 hours, no issues shut it off, went to restart,would not turn over. Jump started and runs fine but cutter head will not engage. Just get flashing green lights at handles. When started it charges at 12.6 volts. Low voltage? Voltage regulator/ rectifier. I hate electrical !

12.6 is low, should be at least 13.2 - 14.5 if the charging is working right.
13.8 is perfect
soooo how good are you with a volt ohm meter?
check all the fuses, check all of the connectors. and grounds.
most likely it is a speed sensor issue. not sensing the rpm right...

Please help new operator, new machine owner. Ran the grinder for about 5 hours, no issues shut it off, went to restart,would not turn over. Jump started and runs fine but cutter head will not engage. Just get flashing green lights at handles. When started it charges at 12.6 volts. Low voltage? Voltage regulator/ rectifier. I hate electrical !
12.6 is low, should be at least 13.2 - 14.5 if the charging is working right.
13.8 is perfect
soooo how good are you with a volt ohm meter?
check all the fuses, check all of the connectors. and grounds.
most likely it is a speed sensor issue. not sensing the rpm right...
Thanks for the response, I can use a volt meter I’ll check what you said . But a speed sensor? Where might that be located.

The starting problem may or may not be related to clutch engagement on the wheel. If it were me, I would definitely iron the starting problem out first, as it will be the easiest and maybe effect the other. Pull battery, take to local autozone or other, have them charge it then load test. Of course check terminals, etc. Get the machine so it will reliably key start, then go from there. Might well be an operator presence issue with the handles, if machine is so equipped. First things first

Following for knowledge, fellow 252 owner here. Operator presence model.

I have no knowledge on speed sensors having to do with charging systems(maybe they’re built into automotive alternators and I am not ware). At any rate I’m interested in however that works on our machines.

Side note about lights flickering but I think it has little to do with your no start issue:
My operator presence light flickers sometime but my drive lever(left most) has been well worn sine I bought the machine, and I’m afraid to ask ho much. I just keep my hand/fingers on at least two levers, no flicker.

TRM once you get comfortable with your machine do the hydro pump mod, disable auto sleep, go green teeth(keep em sharp, and flip em lots), and never look back!

Find the 252 upgrade thread. I think it’s all in there. Do these three mods and you can almost keep up with some of the high horsepower machines.

Back