scalped black walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimate buzz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Backhoe operator ended up grazing the side of an eight inch diameter black walnut tree, ripping off the bark down to the cambium. The patch/swath is about eighteen inches high and covers about one-third of the circumference. any ideas on how to treat the affected area? Thanks in advance, -ken

OK Guys, thanks for the opinions. I was looking for some kind of treatment for the wound.
Cutting down the tree would be a last resort, it has more value to me as a shade tree, for as long as I can keep it living.
Backhoe operator was tearing down an old building in tight conditions. Stuff happens.-ken

If you cut it down flush to the ground early next spring just before bud break, it will likely sprout. Those sprouts will probably be 6-8' tall by end of the year. Cut all but the straightest (don't worry about biggest). In a few years it will be back to size. Will have a big root system pushing growth on a small tree.

Latest posts

Back