• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

School closings due to weather

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Many of the building in downtown Minneapolis, and downtown St. Paul (separate downtowns) are connected by skyways, so once you are there, you can get around in pretty nasty weather without even needing a coat. The University of Minnesota campus in Duluth has most of their buildings connected by tunnels. I have been there in February, during pretty cold weather, and seen the students walking around in gym shorts between their dorms, the library, classrooms, etc. These amenities do not apply throughout the rest of these cities.

Philbert

Marco

Marco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Faster than a speeding ore barge, more powerful than a fat kid that survived Polio. The 366 little big block Chevy in a C60. Keep the amp gauge to the right of zero with the throttle with the heaters running and them old hogs will roast you in -20.

Marco

Marco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Faster than a speeding ore barge, more powerful than a fat kid that survived Polio. The 366 little big block Chevy in a C60. Keep the amp gauge to the right of zero with the throttle with the heaters running and them old hogs will roast you in -20.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Well, Atlanta seems to have gotten it wrong yesterday: waited till the storm started; everybody left at the same time; created gridlock; people slept in their cars. Big mess.

Philbert

Marco

Marco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Takes a special kind of person to run a zoo wagon, not me. Went a year on a real route. To nice I was. Would run a transfer route with special kids in a heartbeat, it's the normal kids that screw you up. If it looked to bad, the district mechanic would come out with the plow truck to get the last home.

jbighump

jbighump

ArboristSite Guru
they close the schools around here if it gets down to 10 degrees and/or 2 snow flakes fall,,,,, heck back in the 60's we never got out of school
they flip out when they forecast a dusting around here too...good thing we don't get lake effect snow here

beerman6

beerman6

Addicted to ArboristSite
I call BS again. It isn't a "lie". More like fearing that the stupid people who send their kids to school in shorts and T-shirts will sue the school if their kids get nipped by frostbite. Or should the schoolbus get into a fenderbender. Plus, we have a much larger population here than when I grew up. More folks moving to areas where they are not familiar with driving conditions or too stupid to adapt. Ever meet a recent transplant from S. Califonia doing 360s in the road and coming at you? Luckily, I put my trusty Subaru over into the ditch (and drove it out) and her car happened to be aligned with the road before it returned to sideways when it went by. Her answer after I said, "you might want to slow down when the road is icy" was "I was doing what the speed limit says. I'm going to get studded tires." That was hardly the fault of the gubmint. We have folks who believe the car commercials (should I blame the advertisers?) and think they can blast through anything with their 4x4 souped up monster truck. I once caught up to many of the 4x4s that blasted by me. They were in the median and the ditch, some folks standing outside their overturned trucks, and I was in a 2 wheel drive pickup putting along at a safe speed.

I hate to drive in the snow anymore. There are too many people out there and I can't control their driving, only mine. I pity the school bus drivers.

There's a lot more factors than, the gubmint made me do it to the story. Simply blaming "the gubmint" is the easy way to not think hard about a subject.
gubmint posted the speed limits=their fault.

jaroh

jaroh

ArboristSite Operative
I grew up in Montana also and our school closed for a day after Mt St Helens blew its top , so I got your back on that one UM. Last Friday our school district here in Washington closed for an inch of snow. I was pissed as all the major routes were bare and wet from all the salt they laid down throughout the night.

Dalmatian90

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Saw this mentioned by a Timberlane teacher on Facebook whose a friend of my step-sister this morning and she seemed excited to be giving it a try -- if they hit 80% participation by students and staff online today, it won't count as a snow day:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20131226/NEWS04/131229483/1008/news04

Sounds like a real good idea. Seems like they're aiming to get the same number of instructional hours as you would get on a half-day.

ray benson

ray benson

Tree Freak
They have had to add 3 days to the scheduled days so far. 4 days were missed because of the cold or snow. And 3 or 4 more days we had a 2 hour delays because of the cold. Had quite a few mornings colder than -5°.