School me on firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wogelmuth equipment auction, not sure of spelling, is coming up Jan. 23, find anything you need for the price you wanna spend! I'm going to get me a skid steer and then my 850 will be for sale. PM me if you want and maybe we can meet.

Actually that's good advice. I have my Massey on my WV property with a 6' bush hog. I was just pricing a Kubota BX with FEL, belly mower and grass catcher.Was thinking about selling my zero turn. The kubota can do all my zero will and then I'll have forks to move my slabs, and fire wood. It's kind of small for skidding, but will handle everything I have around my splitting area. The one I was looking at with 0 down and 0% interest was a little over $300 month, Joe.

Looks like a wife was included with the first tractor you posted. Maybe he'd come down to 3,000 if you took it without the operator? That machine looks pretty good to me, heavy duty, with 3 point. If my new son-in-law brought that home, I'd be pretty impressed.

As far as firewood cutting, I much prefer an ATV or UTV. By the time I get a tractor started and warmed up, I'd already have half a load cut with my ATV and trailer. ATV is also much quicker at plowing snow, chasing cattle and going fishing.

Hey guys, I'm currently in the market for a compact/ small/ maybe a medium sized firewood tractor. I have a couple of ads up on some boards and Craigslist. I'm looking for a tractor with a front end loader. I have no money (I'm getting married, so I have money, just very little for a tractor) right now so I have my ar-15 (spikes lower and bcm upper) for trade plus some cash. So a rough value of ~2k.

Now anything I should stay away from? I'm talking about a $2000 here so I'm not expecting anything fantastic. Certain years for certain manufacturers?
Certain motors? I know it's going to be old and not pretty but I'm moving slabs, firewood and logs around so it's gonna be a working tractor, I'm also fairly young at 25, so something I could keep and fix with parts I can source is kind of important. It seems like the bigger, older tractors go for cheaper around my area.

Any help would be appreciated since I have no knowledge of tractors or front end loaders, but I intend to learn

Your value on the AR sounds pretty high to me. Probably a nice piece but $2K?

Those are illegal here in N.Y. you are a terrorist if you own one. I was in the market for one and that week I was ready to purchase one our idiot governor made half the guns illegal. I've switched from guns to chainsaws there's no restrictions on them.

For a fire wood tractor you want a loader, a lot of weight, and power steering. I have an oliver super 55 with a loader. It was ok in the woods. It will pull a tree down. The loader is weak and you feel like you ran a marathon after 1 3pt turn.

I also have a ford 3400. It's a lot more tractor. The weight and power steering makes all the difference in the world.

The oliver sits quietly waiting for a new job.

Dragging firewood isn't difficult. I did it with my 400cc quad for three years. It's all about weight for traction and stability and power steeri g due to the weight and maneuverability.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Your value on the AR sounds pretty high to me. Probably a nice piece but $2K?
Yeah 2 k for an ar is steep. I could have sold it around there during the crazy Obama years, not now though.
I'm at like $1300 on it and ~$700-1000 cash ontop.

How about pre-94 manufacture?

Nope my dad had to register his. I had to register a few of my guns because they are "assault rifles". If it has a detachable mag is semi auto and one other feature like a thumb hole stock or pistol grip it's an assault rifle. Even certain shotguns are illegal. If you owned one you had to register it. They have some modified stock on the ar that they sell as a legal ar but they are still pricey for a gun that only has a value in N.Y.. No more than a 10 round mag is legal and you can have 7 rounds in it unless you are at the range then you can have 10. Luckiy the sheriff in the county I live in doesn't enforce the law but you still can't buy a lot of models of guns.

The Kubota deal around here was 0% interest and 20% down. 0% down and 0% interest, with what should be high resale doesn't seem bad.

Yeah 2 k for an ar is steep. I could have sold it around there during the crazy Obama years, not now though.
I'm at like $1300 on it and ~$700-1000 cash ontop.
What round is that AR chambered in ?

I went through the same search for a cheap tractor and all I found was stuff I was gonna spend most of my time working on so I bit the bullet and did the Kubota no interest financing and I've had no regrets.

What round is that AR chambered in ?

I went through the same search for a cheap tractor and all I found was stuff I was gonna spend most of my time working on so I bit the bullet and did the Kubota no interest financing and I've had no regrets.

.223/5.56 NATO.

I don't wanna finance a tractor until after my wedding. September of 2018 and even then I'll be house hunting. So who knows what's going to happen with my finances. I'd rather just save another 1000-2000 and buy a used tractor for 3-4K. What time of year is best for tractor hunting? I've gotten good deals on dump trucks in the winter.

.223/5.56 NATO.

I don't wanna finance a tractor until after my wedding. September of 2018 and even then I'll be house hunting. So who knows what's going to happen with my finances. I'd rather just save another 1000-2000 and buy a used tractor for 3-4K. What time of year is best for tractor hunting? I've gotten good deals on dump trucks in the winter.

Now, or a couple months ago. Spring is when they sell for a little more.

My boss bought an 80s ford tractor. Diesel 4wd with the loader for 5 grand. I've used it and it's a big step up from what I had. It's not a new tractor but it's a lot more useful than a 50s tractor.

That's what I'm thinking, maybe waiting a few months and saving some would benefit me in the long run. I'm trying to slab a 13' x32" white oak and I can hardly move the top cut by myself so I was trying to get something soon to help move them. Maybe I'll look into renting something for now just to help me move these things.

That's what I'm thinking, maybe waiting a few months and saving some would benefit me in the long run. I'm trying to slab a 13' x32" white oak and I can hardly move the top cut by myself so I was trying to get something soon to help move them. Maybe I'll look into renting something for now just to help me move these things.

I keep my eye out for stuff like that pretty much every week. There's deals to be had, but only if you're willing to make some compromises. Around here there's some real nice old Fords. 3910, 3930, 4610 etc, but a 4wd one with a loader pretty much starts at $8000, and that's gonna have 6000 hours or more on it.

You want a really nice one, here's a good example:Screenshot_20171231-195058.png

I'm not saying you can't find something good out there, but if you want a 4wd diesel tractor with a loader for 5k, it's gonna be in rough shape or a Russian or Chinese build. Personally, at that price point I'd be looking for something like a Massey 135 and a three point forklift. Not just forks, but a whole three point mast. That'd be a good machine that's pretty safe and reliable.

I've been there with the old tractor it's all smooth until you get the 1 wheel peel trying to scoop dirt or stone or plow the driveway. Yea it starts when u are messing around but when u need it it won't start because it's old and cranky. With that loader you need 4wd and power steering. I'm looking for a tractor myself because I need one but they have come a long way. I'm tied up financially right now paying off a kid and other emergency house stuff but when I'm clear I'm buying a brand new tractor.

Latest posts

Back