School me on firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a cat 236 with pilot controls and the throttle peddle . Aux hydrolics . Sat in some sort of farmers place in New York . 750 hours I paid 12 k . Needed some work . Had to pull the head to change out the glow plugs , they where broken off . Put about 2 k into it with parts and that included tires . Most useful machine I’ve ever had .You can save a lot of money if you are handy with a wrench and have some free time

I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if someone suggested it yet or not but once I got forks for my JD 1070 9 years ago, the bucket has only been on for a few hours to push some snow and dirt around.

I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if someone suggested it yet or not but once I got forks for my JD 1070 9 years ago, the bucket has only been on for a few hours to push some snow and dirt around.

Found a JD 1020 with loader for $3500... There's a real nice 1070 for 8k... I think it's a little large for my operation though.

On another note, just got back from looking at that ford 1910... It was rough... The ad said it was running and driving, but had a slow leak from a hydraulic cylinder on the loader. It wouldn't start when I got there. The guy that owned it inherited it from his father 3 years ago... He parked it and it hasn't moved since. (Never even started it) I messed with it for about 40 minutes and got it running... Good thing I did, has some type of rod knock. Fluid poured out of the hydraulic cylinder, none of the lights worked, wouldn't drive in forward, it moved in reverse but it sounded like something was grinding and it had no brakes, All the tires were flat. I offered him $700 and he laughed and said no way. So I left with an empty trailer. Probably a blessing, it would have been a money pit... No more looking at things without pictures.

I would look into a ih 300u. small enough to go through the woods, live hydraulics. the one thing I don't like about the new compact tractors is they have no weight, weight equals traction.

this summer I picked up a farmall 300, ended up overhauling it, came with a loader, brush hog, disc, plow and sprayer for$800. i will have just north of 2000 into after full fluid swap, overhaul, and other odds and ends. will be my haying tractor, but will use it for firewood as well.

now I'm not clear cutting or planning on using it as a skidder, but to pull some trees out into the field or move big rounds it will be just fine.

I'd love a skid steer but there's no chance I could swing that right now... I wish I could.

I found a ford 1910 with loader on it for $3400. No pics though. Only an hour ride so I think I'm gonna go check it out sometime this week. Sounds like an older guy
be careful of those 1910s ive seen a couple of those that have had 3rd gear damaged, basically the gears had teeth broken off them from pulling loads

In that price range your best option is probably a Satoh 650. I've seen them sell for that price in running condition with a loader. Friend of mine bought one new and still uses it. They're only 2wd, so you need ballast in the rear. They have a 25 hp gas engine. Not nearly as good as a new tractor, but the loaders will generally lift over 1,000 lbs so they will do what you're needing and their price point is generally right around your target budget.

Interesting thread. I’m also in the same boat as you - Would like to buy an older smaller tractor hopefully by the end of the fall. You seem to know more about them/mechanical work than myself.

Good luck! Let us know what you get! Seems like older, better looking tractors are more abundant in the States than Canada. At least, where I am.

I forgot I even made this thread!

I ended up trading that ar-15 plus some cash for an old ford 1841 diesel w/ Front end loader.

Solid machine, it did not work for moving the slabs like I’d hoped but it helped me pull a ton of logs. After my buddy’s was cleared I couldn’t use it how I thought I would so I sold it. Made a couple bucks on it so I wasn’t too upset. Still move slabs by hand but I’m still looking for the right machine. It will most likely be a skid steer, that’s just what will work best for me.

D1EA0730-638A-4C79-AE04-504365F3EF36.jpeg E863C41B-9F49-4388-A851-A972F66EC949.jpeg 9541A0B4-CE96-4D4A-A097-CE41612B6069.jpeg

I have a nearly identical machine - a 4000 HD industrial, but mine has a hoe on the back. I usually skid stuff around with an old jeep, but sometimes have to pull this old girl out for really big stuff.

Ford 4000 HDI Whole Tractor.jpg

Just converted her to electronic ignition and am hoping to do a lot more work on it this year. Some of the sheet metal and the fuel tank have been removed in this pic.

I have a nearly identical machine - a 4000 HD industrial, but mine has a hoe on the back. I usually skid stuff around with an old jeep, but sometimes have to pull this old girl out for really big stuff.

View attachment 725577

Just converted her to electronic ignition and am hoping to do a lot more work on it this year. Some of the sheet metal and the fuel tank have been removed in this pic.

If I had the backhoe on mine, I would have kept it for sure. They’re Extremely useful, I looked for an attachment for mine while I owned it, they were eaither beat to hell or 7k.

Latest posts

Back