School me on stihl trimmers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 4-mix is a 4 stroke, NOT a two strokei that uses mix for lubrication.

It’s a four stroke engine with valves that uses mix for lube. It’s a fun concept that works really well and if you adjust valves or have them adjusted every 200 hours or so they last a long time and run well. In a commercial application, I adjust them every winter shutdown. For a residential application the machines are replaced because of age before they need the valves adjusted.

Just like M-Tronic, this has been out a while and it’s proven itself, people are just afraid of change.

After I dumped a bunch of trees on my property, the little oak's started growing like crazy, and many of the stumps sprouted 10-20 sprouts in no time. I searched for a brush cutter and ended up with the Stihl FS130 with the round loop handle. I keep the circular saw blade on it at all times. Never switched it back to the trimmer. It cuts through the wippets quite nicely, until you hit a rock. I've been tempted to try the three-arm blade. Plenty of power, no issues getting it to start when I use it twice a year.

It’s a four stroke engine with valves that uses mix for lube. It’s a fun concept that works really well and if you adjust valves or have them adjusted every 200 hours or so they last a long time and run well. In a commercial application, I adjust them every winter shutdown. For a residential application the machines are replaced because of age before they need the valves adjusted.

Just like M-Tronic, this has been out a while and it’s proven itself, people are just afraid of change.
I guess you are right but too much crap to keep track of for me, and if I’m going to go through all the trouble of mixing gas, I would rather get all the power I can for the weight.

Back