Scored some oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the oak free by helping a friend with downed branches from his dead oak, i just brought my 18 inch saw, but the big potential score came when i went through the drive thru to get a sixet, the guy saw my wood in the back of the truck and asked if i need more for free.....

I said no problem, let me look at it, so i followed the store owners brother 2 streets down and i was greeted with a huge pile of maple, already cut to size.......problem is, it was not a dead tree and there is probably 5 cords there, 2 trees cut, the following pics are only from one side of the yard, the other side there isveven more wood than this...

Question, what kind of maple is this? I can have it all but i told him i wont take the branches uploadfromtaptalk1477268816635.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477268832565.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477268844223.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Would have been nice to post the pictures at the top of the thread. Just reading the first post I thought you were being a smart a$$.

Here is the oak i got, this is red oak and the branches have been down for some time, the tree itself is dead and its a massive oak, he cant find anyone to cut it down, its too close to the neighbors house...uploadfromtaptalk1477268991983.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477269003000.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477269019732.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477269031672.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477269044101.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477269056270.jpg

Got the oak free by helping a friend with downed branches from his dead oak, i just brought my 18 inch saw, but the big potential score came when i went through the drive thru to get a sixet, the guy saw my wood in the back of the truck and asked if i need more for free.....

I said no problem, let me look at it, so i followed the store owners brother 2 streets down and i was greeted with a huge pile of maple, already cut to size.......problem is, it was not a dead tree and there is probably 5 cords there, 2 trees cut, the following pics are only from one side of the yard, the other side there isveven more wood than this...

Question, what kind of maple is this? I can have it all but i told him i wont take the branches View attachment 533034View attachment 533035View attachment 533036

Looks like it would be a good post for the scrounging firewood thread

The few big rounds in front are the maple, from that second big score i have free access to.....everytjing else in bed is red oak

Would have been nice to post the pictures at the top of the thread. Just reading the first post I thought you were being a smart a$$.
Sorry, i wanted to be sure the text portion went through.......but no, i would never make a post about a wood score without my pics to back it up.

Here is the parent tree that oak wood came from, there is 20 feet of trunk not shown in image, tree is too tall to get in one pic ! uploadfromtaptalk1477271653898.jpg

Question, what kind of maple is this? I can have it all but i told him i wont take the branches View attachment 533034View attachment 533035View attachment 533036

That looks real pretty to me....I'd be salivating seeing at that Maple, as all you know I absolutely LOVE Maple.....
Nice, Nice score....you deserve one for that find....lol

That looks real pretty to me....I'd be salivating seeing at that Maple, as all you know I absolutely LOVE Maple.....
Nice, Nice score....you deserve one for that find....lol
Im not sure if its hard maple or silver but its all mine if i want it......gotta find someone locally in the Cincinnati, oh area to go in 50/50 and help out, i can not get all this wood loaded by myself, i do have sledge hammers, solitting mauls, steel splitting wedges, a truck, chainsaws, and a 20 ton manual hydraulic wood splitter from harbor freight, i just dont have the manpower to help me.......

Why can't he find anyone to take the tree down? Nothing spectacular about that one. Unless he's looking for some one to do it free for the wood? I know there are big companies like Davey and Care of Trees out there, but, they do charge big money to take down big dangerous trees. Sooner or later it will come down on it's own, house or no house, Joe.

Why can't he find anyone to take the tree down? Nothing spectacular about that one. Unless he's looking for some one to do it free for the wood? I know there are big companies like Davey and Care of Trees out there, but, they do charge big money to take down big dangerous trees. Sooner or later it will come down on it's own, house or no house, Joe.
The problem lies in the fact the tree has half of the limbs spreading out 30 feet over top of the neighbors house, and his plastic back patio roof, and the tree has been hit by lightning years ago, thats what killed it, but most of the limbs are widow makers....

He told me that he has found a company that will take the big oak down, they will bring a crane truck and a truck with a cherry picker.....he has 2 problems, the tree so close to neighbors house, and he has many other trees around that one that he personally planted, other oaks and a maple, so you can't just drop it, it will have to be a surgical precision type job, one piece at a time ...

The company quoted him over $1,700 and he just can't afford 1/3rd that price, he barely clears $200 a week at his job and he is in bankruptcy, he can barely hold onto his house, cant even afford to keep the power on most months.....

Anyway, i did stack up the oak he gave me that i cut up with my saw......this is perfect campfire/ cooking wood, dry as a bone and highly seasoned....wish i had the whole tree..uploadfromtaptalk1477339988947.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477340003843.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477340009370.jpguploadfromtaptalk1477340014567.jpg

Sorry for your friends misfortune. $1700 would be a very good price here, in the Metro DC area. The last time I rented a crane it cost me $874, for a 50 ton, for half a day. He got the tree on the ground under 4 hours, and it took me 2 days to clean up the brush. Put up a free wood sign and the wood left quick, Joe.

Would he consider selling some of the wood to pay off the cost of the tree? If he is making $200 a week I bet he could find time to split some wood by hand. Get wood dumped by arborists and have folks pick up the split wood and sell for cheap. Wont be a lot but even $50 a week makes a difference.

Silver maple gets a bad rap because it dry rots so fast. You have to split and burn it the year the tree is cut down. It starts to get punky about as soon as any species that there is. However, it burns very well, is easy to light, splits easily when green, and I like to combine it with other slower-burning species (like oak and locust) in the same fire. Let the rounds sit for a couple of months and when you split it, the bark will fall right off. That dry bark makes pretty good kindling.

Back