Screw gate hardware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a hitch pulley and it looks like an oval screw gate (carabiner ?) would be a clean connection. My current set up has a delta screw gate coming off the saddle.

I know that dual and triple operation on carabiners is desired or maybe required by many. So if I use a screw gate am I asking for a fall?

What are some other reasons not to use an oval screw gate?

If you're gonna get a new carabiner, definitely go with a triple locker. They're not entirely foolproof, but theyre much safer than a screwgate. DMM recommends oval biners with the hitchclimber, so I'd get a DMM oval triple action biner if I were you.

Its not that a screw gate wont work or that your asking to fall if you use one its more that a screw gate requires constant attention so that it does not unintentionally open if you want to use a screw gate remember to screw down so that you dont screw up. In my opinion though it is highly recommend that you get a triple locking carabiner like what dmm or rock exotica sells. I personally like the action on the rock exoticas it is easier for my hand to manipulate. These types of carabiners are also faster to use that the screw gates. in the industry it is required that we use these triple action carabiners or double locking rope snaps, but screwgates still seem to be the standard in rock climbing and mountaineering for tie in duties.

I saw a guy fall 60 or so feet when the rope he was coming down unscrewed the gate and popped off the rope. I was using a screw gate mini biner on my hitch climber pulley with a 4in dog bone so my hitch would clear the knot I tied the the end carabiner on with. Several times I found it unscrewed. I still use that set up but I have that screw gate screwed on so tight it permanent. If I could find a triple action mini carabiner I'd get rid of the screw gate altogether.

closest I come to a fall was a screw gate biner many years ago it undid and rope was walking its way over the open latch as i looked at it
I still like em for other uses but not life support systems

I can get grumpy with gated 3 ways and see their minor down sides eg cold hands gloves or full of saw chip but as still here after 30years up there I'ii put up with the mucking about to open a secure gate

I saw a guy fall 60 or so feet when the rope he was coming down unscrewed the gate and popped off the rope. I was using a screw gate mini biner on my hitch climber pulley with a 4in dog bone so my hitch would clear the knot I tied the the end carabiner on with. Several times I found it unscrewed. I still use that set up but I have that screw gate screwed on so tight it permanent. If I could find a triple action mini carabiner I'd get rid of the screw gate altogether.
I think its ISC that makes a triple action mini carabiner

Back