Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well , I've been watching the local ads for ash , locust or oak , zilch , nada nuthin :(
But , I did find another scrounging tool :)

aAXP72SCRQlUUPhZ7cPX95yd_iq4mylnBPd8G5Ut8if-ugO_Qe_PWxG9bPyZ3hPpVQ0IXooA_U35NSShIA5cabScoAIaVYXfrYAAImx0TgOjw092Nu2ZnSa7WK36jM9Dskcfb8_Z2gjdEq2hWuNMWATC_Bry1LvCwlXktp_5OrjV7SSNMWPrRtYOJBwgx3zCrYp3dVGl9yAY4YMNh5uNzT2dnqFVmPVFP7r7uUS0F9G5yERxMEQHwr0FivAcKnQTjoJoo6x1Pd4XNgHXGnJwtj0sjimY8YLyd0deqFxhapLd0yjY_FoVs_HmhKsGhTmJNcikv2u3CKOVwnOHpBRIuTLow8M0TVWor_KC2UyICMIiB6k4IuQMAqZ-t6Oe7CAhOTkCwTp3CayDMa3KpVj-iNv2SgN5bbwJOsCZPJQ4KXsvxRSZ9ZtZGTCK5hhDZsVYa-SP7s3rbvv-QLyZeukPW-7nx1OeokoEeT-BKD0N5cB7DjjFoacc__rr7jzfbu497uECtnJ-rT4cWIBUeV07NYZP2md7OPPuNV1KK9qfLVPuWJe073WHaRF5JcULnlyjTYwE5Toh1ij0PYdTJC-b2TL7lO8uV7tj6Rbd8D635SSOXw2JIP2DO4H9EBBf0ZHWzUJOYHMzprX9y_Lwpzi5lp2vUzTPFQTfKI348rR4ImU=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Philbert, I was bidding on one of the wedge cutters at the last sale but at $3000 it just isn't worth it. I could buy a lot of firewood for that. And they still can make a mess of the tree. I've talked to guys that use the chainsaw ones and binding is a real usual issue and bent bars are the norm. I don't have enough oil flow for the hydraulic saw either. I still have some work to do on mine before I use it.
Wowzer, I've been keeping an eye on the Barrie auction for a van mounted one that the van is garbage but nothing yet. I really don't have that many branches to do though so it's not worth too much investment. I'll likely just drop most of the trees into the bush anyway. Land is drying up quick though and my window is getting real short.
I spent 2 hours chipping pine limbs at my brothers tonight and my body is sore. Chipper worked good considering the bulky branches we were feeding into it. Another 2 hours there tomorrow night should finish it.

Dan, I promise, if you come down to visit, I'll let you cut some Oak. Got Red & White available.

Now Mighty Mouse will not be the saw of choice for this stuff, but don't worry, I got ya covered there too!

And I'm still shocked that SVK never picked up an 044. He had a big grin on his face after using mine that day! Now with the base gasket delete & timing advance, it is even stronger.

Here's my design:
Screen shot 2017-04-18 at 10.54.15 PM.png

15# chainsaw at end of boom instead of 150+# person. Good electric chainsaw Small generator that could also be used for other things. Wireless remote start /stop switch. Manual telescope and tilt adjustments to keep it simple for occasional use.

Cheaper than one of these: https://jarraff.com/

Philbert

Well I hope your luck is better than mine! Replaced the diaphragm on the carb, made sure everything else looked good on it but I must be missing something. Either that or the pickup tube is far more clogged than what it seems to be. It just won't draw any fuel into the carb, runs if I spray fuel right into the carb though. I ended up putting the tank in a good bed of coals and that really cleaned it up, I can worry about it being pretty later though.

The fuel needle was only out a half a turn, ended up at 1.5 turns out and it was running. I turned it out around another 1/4 turn just to richen it up a bit, otherwise it was spinning just over 4,000 rpm at full throttle. What a dumby I can be, sure am happy to have it running.

17903885_10210737924862517_5664198945312572777_n.jpg

This could even count as my first scrounge worthy post as you'll see some firewood in the back there, but since most is cut down on this property I try not to get too excited, there's tons of little red elm out here.

I'm with you @woodchip rookie , I ain't cut no oak either :(.

On the other hand, I have cut blue gum. The Lady Farmer tells me that I have given her enough wood, so most of the remaining blue gum I had cut for her and stacked in good drying positions came home with me today.

29th Mar 2.jpg

I couldn't be bothered splitting some of the bigger remaining rounds so Limby got some action. Looks like the phone camera got a bit shmeary at some point.

19th Apr 1.jpg

This load I'll take down to my brother in Melbourne at some point. I cut it shorter with the Lady Farmer in mind and his firebox is a bit smaller than mine so it'll suit him. Also scrounged up a new jockey wheel for the trailer, I'm happy about that.

19th Apr 2.jpg

:)

Latest posts

Back