Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How tight are the restrictions cowboy?

It will take out all boat outboards, most chainsaws, brushcutters and blowers, it seems.

In the end, it is ridiculous. Of course the relative emissions of 2-strokes is higher than that of 4-strokes...but so is the power. That's why 2-strokes exist - and why they are used for small engines since 4-strokes can't match them for the weight where weight is important. But the relative emissions are irrelevant, surely it must be the absolute that matters (if it matters at all). Who gives a sh!t what emissions a 70cc engine produces? It is trivial. I object to each and every restriction that is placed on our emissions and our freedoms that is placed on us by our government.

I don't remember being asked if this was ok. And it's not.

Well yes and no. I'll see if I can find the graphic when I have a moment, and bear in mind it came from the producers of Aspen alkalyte fuel, but I've seen one claiming one saw on normal fuel pollutes as much as something like a hundred cars. 2 strokes have a purpose, but they are filthy, really filthy. Modern battery technology is almost there, it's fine already for small saws, it'll get there for big saws too. Although why are you worried? You've got your saws and surely it'll only be sales of new saws affected?

Some interesting 2 stroke technology coming. Bombardier (Evinrude and Skidoo) have been using "etec" direct injection in outboards and snowmobiles for a few years now. These motors meet EPA standards and produce two stroke power. Actually phenomenally due to computer controls, I've rode etec sleds and they are deceptively fast. I think that it will eventually come to small engines as well.

Was at my stihl dealer yesterday and being as curious as I am I asked about the batery chainsaw and he reckons that stihl willl have a large mount pro battery saws in about 2 years for cutting big timber. I'll stick with my 2 stroke until there fully proven to work

Was at my stihl dealer yesterday and being as curious as I am I asked about the batery chainsaw and he reckons that stihl willl have a large mount pro battery saws in about 2 years for cutting big timber. I'll stick with my 2 stroke until there fully proven to work

I agree. I think eventually most of us will be using battery saws but for now the technology just isn't there. Plus there's nothing quite like the sound a feeling of a well tuned saw running WOT

Some interesting 2 stroke technology coming. Bombardier (Evinrude and Skidoo) have been using "etec" direct injection in outboards and snowmobiles for a few years now. These motors meet EPA standards and produce two stroke power. Actually phenomenally due to computer controls, I've rode etec sleds and they are deceptively fast. I think that it will eventually come to small engines as well.

Yamaha also has a great DI for 2 strokes but is only used in outboards as far as I know. They swapped most of their clean credits on sleds for tech and have not adapted it to sleds. In the outboard world they are very well liked.

Was at my stihl dealer yesterday and being as curious as I am I asked about the batery chainsaw and he reckons that stihl willl have a large mount pro battery saws in about 2 years for cutting big timber.
They keep getting better and better. Who knows what the future will bring!

Philbert

Yamaha also has a great DI for 2 strokes but is only used in outboards as far as I know. They swapped most of their clean credits on sleds for tech and have not adapted it to sleds. In the outboard world they are very well liked.
Here in Canada Yamaha only sells 4 strokes.

I agree. I think eventually most of us will be using battery saws but for now the technology just isn't there. Plus there's nothing quite like the sound a feeling of a well tuned saw running WOT

yes, but I do miss the good smell of the old dirty saws with blue smoke hanging over them. That was the 50s when we mixed with 20wt

The legislation means we are now directly controlled by the US EPA,
Cat mufflers and limited carbs are coming down under...... And cost recovery part means our saws will become more expensive. Bet any money Stihl and Husky have been lobbying for this to block some competitors.

• provide a certification process for new domestic and imported products which are not already certified to US EPA or equivalent international standards
  • provide mechanisms to consider requests for exemptions from the standards
  • provide cost recovery provisions to support government administration of the standards.

Yep clean up the air. Run everything off batteries and then charge them up using coal fired power plants. Makes sense to me.

Yep clean up the air. Run everything off batteries and then charge them up using coal fired power plants. Makes sense to me.
cross cuts, bucking saw and double bit axe's should train them right for a clear mind!! ?? lol separate the two stoker's from the wisher's!

I think all these rules and regulation make a good case for restoring all those classic old saws. No electronics to get fried by emp's, and you can make them run on fruit juice and corn if you cant buy gas.
?? no wonder, as I drink lots of fruit juice and eat more than my share of corn... this must be the reason why I am always fired up and ready to go at the first sign of ignition..... guess it beats being all gassed up and ready to fart through the day hey? "LOL"

Back