Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, my 220 is a Hot Rod, but it needs a 26" barrel.

My Ruger American came with a very nice recoil pad, and a good fit, and it is very mild to shoot even with some pretty hot 30-06 loads (like 300 H&H territory).

I really like that gun. Inexpensive, smooth, light, rugged, and shoots great w/o any bedding or trigger work. Really just hard to beat. You can pay a lot more, and get a lot less. Also have one in 223.

Yea, my 220 is a Hot Rod, but it needs a 26" barrel.

My Ruger American came with a very nice recoil pad, and a good fit, and it is very mild to shoot even with some pretty hot 30-06 loads (like 300 H&H territory).

I really like that gun. Inexpensive, smooth, light, rugged, and shoots great w/o any bedding or trigger work. Really just hard to beat. You can pay a lot more, and get a lot less. Also have one in 223.
I bought a box of new 250 Savage unprimed brass for $10 at a show last summer, got home and looked inside, and it was all new 220 Swift. Guess I'll have to find something I like in 220, can't have that pretty, shiny brass just sitting on the shelf, Joe.

I'm going to do a little testing this year with our Rockland.... I have a butt load of shorts to burn, so rather than load it with long splits east to west, I'm going to load it with shorts north to south. This should eliminate the possibility of wood rolling into the door, too. If it works well, Ill cut a set amount of wood just for it. We don't use it near as much as the freestander.

I'm also one of those guys that measures wood to fit the stove. The more airspace I can fill with wood, the less often it needs attention.
Casey, I just measured the depth of the new Yotul, 11 1/2 inches. I made a 12' rack with fancy hoop ends, for the front porch, to meet the WOA specs (Wife Orders Association). Splits that short will fall through the rack. I'll just have to get used to shorter burn times, Joe.

Casey, I just measured the depth of the new Yotul, 11 1/2 inches. I made a 12' rack with fancy hoop ends, for the front porch, to meet the WOA specs (Wife Orders Association). Splits that short will fall through the rack. I'll just have to get used to shorter burn times, Joe.
Put some sides on it and make it a bin. I gave up trying to stack short wood.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ALL, of my shorts go to the fire pit, drives my cousin nuts to see all of the Oak that goes in the pit. But, I need something to keep the guys warm as we sit on the bench drinking beer, eating peanuts and steamed shrimp. My cousin doesn't drink beer so he just doesn't understand. Besides, I think I just made a pun, sides on the porch rack won't pass the WOA, Joe.

it was all new 220 Swift.

If you want to move it let me know. It is a real nice round, but to be honest, to stretch past what a 223 will do you had better have perfect conditions. Be able to dope the wind, not have any twigs or blades of grass in the way, etc. Sometimes, you learn a lot when you have a round that exceeds your capabilities.

The old Norma Factory 48 grain bullets were loaded hot & accurate, but they were intended for big game (in Europe). They went right through the chucks w/o opening up. At first, I thought I was missing them. Then my cousin stupidly reached his arm down the hole and pulled a dead one out. That (and the cost) are some of the reasons I started hand loading. With a good HP, the chucks never move!

1509551243024-1577665258.jpg ok so the land owner where I'm cutting all the trees says he has something to give me as it will be no use to him as he is moving to the town. It's a 038 I didn't need another saw but free is free right it dirty but starts strong and run great needs a bar but chain is nearly new
Lucky me

Been heating the last few days with shorts, cookies and all the miss fits. Just pile them up, load the yard cart and bring them to the stove.

I finished burning my uglies stack several weeks ago. Just brought in the last wagon load of buckskin limbwood to really get the stove heated up when it's being stubborn.

Got this pile today from my buddy at the town. Any idea what the last log is? It’s a little soft. I’m pretty sure, I have Maple and some oak in the pile but can’t identify the reddish hue bark

Attachments

• FF720B1D-B175-44B7-8BA3-4CCE182B453F.jpeg
    FF720B1D-B175-44B7-8BA3-4CCE182B453F.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 29
  • 9503854A-F4F1-4F15-932D-AD4EDCD06AD7.jpeg
    9503854A-F4F1-4F15-932D-AD4EDCD06AD7.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
ALL, of my shorts go to the fire pit, drives my cousin nuts to see all of the Oak that goes in the pit. But, I need something to keep the guys warm as we sit on the bench drinking beer, eating peanuts and steamed shrimp. My cousin doesn't drink beer so he just doesn't understand. Besides, I think I just made a pun, sides on the porch rack won't pass the WOA, Joe.

I just couldn't bring myself to turn all this beautiful hard wood into fire pit wood... The bin in the background is full and Ive got 4 tote frames full of shorts as well..

a8091ca336069b18bc3b47ba8ee25d2d.jpg

I just couldn't bring myself to turn all this beautiful hard wood into fire pit wood... The bin in the background is full and Ive got 4 tote frames full of shorts as well..

a8091ca336069b18bc3b47ba8ee25d2d.jpg
looks like elm? looks like your close to lake michigan. :crazy2:

Back