Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love me a ported 562xp. Bad bad saw....

My girls both have there own .22's and shot guns. 20ga for the older one and .410 for the little one. Both good shots, the older one drives me a bit crazy with her .22, its a 10/22 and she sure can squeeze that trigger fast. Little one watches "The Rifleman" on Saturday mornings, so naturally she has a Henry with the big loop. She conserved her ammo till my pops "showed her how its done" and now I think she tries to shoot like him and Lucas McCain....
That is AWESOME!!!!

Most of the tree guys around here run 20" B&C on 460/461s and have 660s for the bigger stuff (36" usually) and top handles for the little stuff.

I run 20" bars on 4 saws, 2 ported 60 cc saws, and 2 modded (but not ported) 70 cc saws. The 70s have a bit more grunt (like if your worried about getting pinched on the log pile). The 50 cc saws have 16" + 18" and the larger saws have 24", 28" and one with 36".

I put a 24" bar on my 044 a few weeks ago to fell a Ash that was just over 20". Put a 20" B&C back on it as soon as I got home, it just handles so much nicer with that on it. The Stihl 20" E bar is very light, much lighter and better handling than a 20" ES bar.

Most of the tree guys around here run 20" B&C on 460/461s and have 660s for the bigger stuff (36" usually) and top handles for the little stuff.

I run 20" bars on 4 saws, 2 ported 60 cc saws, and 2 modded (but not ported) 70 cc saws. The 70s have a bit more grunt (like if your worried about getting pinched on the log pile). The 50 cc saws have 16" + 18" and the larger saws have 24", 28" and one with 36".

I put a 24" bar on my 044 a few weeks ago to fell a Ash that was just over 20". Put a 20" B&C back on it as soon as I got home, it just handles so much nicer with that on it. The Stihl 20" E bar is very light, much lighter and better handling than a 20" ES bar.

OK.

Pretty interesting. Thanks!

Benp , fyi , my ported 394 is a hoot with an 18" lol
No scrounging for me this weekend , the honey do list was just too long [emoji850]
I did start putting away some of the wood I've drug home, some spruce for next season and a bit plus started to move some hardwood for the 20/21 and a bit for 2022 .

Benp, its Ambull01, he had a full size van didn't he? And a CTS-V if I remember right.... Its been a LONG time since I spent this much time on the site.....

I believe you are right

I don't recollect the Cadillac Touring Sport Vette......but they are stupid fun. Girlfriend's Uncle has one. It gets groceries quick.

If it's smaller than 3" diameter it stays in the woods for me unless it's oak then I will go down to 2".

The oak we have is Bur Oak so when there's more bark than there is wood is usually when I stop. That size, and on up to 6-8" I cut 28-30" lengths for the stove in the garage. I can split that by hand usually and seems to season in one summer, not as much moisture that high up maybe? All the dead red elm around I take ALL of it, the tiny branches get the cordless circular saw taken to them for kindling.

I use a chop saw for my kindling as it's quicker than a saw
On another note it's a sad day for me as I'm trading my favourite saw(ms291) in against a new ms362 and finally speaking of bar sizes the smallest bar on the 660 is 30" . 16 or 18 on my 50-60cc saws and a 12 on a 181

Why? Seriously why? There is zero logic in that thought process aside from "I can."
Heavy ass power head that the bar in no way shape or form balances out.
Several reasons.
1) I can. :D
2) I have a 32" for it but most of the time the wood I cut less than 20". So you think a 562 with a 20" will outcut AND out-noodle a 395 with a 20"? I think not. Take 18" long logs, turn them, noodle to quarters, stack on pile. Done.
3) I have a 3-saw plan. T540xp/12" b&c, 445/16"b&c (Soon to be a 550xp) and the 395. I dont want saws that are close in power. One tiny, one truely mid-size, and then the biggest. (3120 is too big)
4) I don't know if you have ever run a 395 but it balances perfect with a 20. It may not be what YOU would choose to do, but I fail to see the complete lack of logic in my arsenal.

I am back..... Went out west 4 a few weeks Sedona / Texas Canyon / Desert Museum in Tucson / Red Rock and the Grand Canyon.
What a trip I want to go back again.
Wife's family in Tucson ....
Sorry I missed the GTG in Pa.
I think with CAD we all need to have the correct setup saw for the job
Full wrap full chisel on felling saws
I like square file chain but have saws setup for dirty wood that has been drug through the mud (round)
Round on the stumping saw as well
Ripping chain on the Lombard I use to noodle 24inch setup
I have an 801 Jonsereds with a 20 inch ( 80cc on a 8 tooth ) I have a 10 tooth rim to try but need to add some links to the chain to try it
Should be fun bucking

Latest posts

Back