Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? Seriously why? There is zero logic in that thought process aside from "I can."

That is something i have never understood.

Heavy ass power head that the bar in no way shape or form balances out.

Awesome family Matt!!!
20" on my 2186 balances fine but 18" doesn't. The 20" bar is nice because there's not too much sticking out of the log to hit rocks.

Several reasons.
1) I can. :D
2) I have a 32" for it but most of the time the wood I cut less than 20". So you think a 562 with a 20" will outcut AND out-noodle a 395 with a 20"? I think not. Take 18" long logs, turn them, noodle to quarters, stack on pile. Done.
3) I have a 3-saw plan. T540xp/12" b&c, 445/16"b&c (Soon to be a 550xp) and the 395. I dont want saws that are close in power. One tiny, one truely mid-size, and then the biggest. (3120 is too big)
4) I don't know if you have ever run a 395 but it balances perfect with a 20. It may not be what YOU would choose to do, but I fail to see the complete lack of logic in my arsenal.
i have a 20 saw plan and i use 'em all. sooner or later.:dizzy:

Old guy once told me, 'Sell 'em what they want, not what they need'.

Philbert
Some truth. My boss at the marine dealership I worked at in college sold a guy the boat he wanted to sell (and had higher profit margin) versus the boat the guy wanted. The guy saw my boat (very similar to what he actually wanted) and was freakin pissed because boss told him he wouldn't sell those. Not sure if they ever did any more business together.

Some truth. My boss at the marine dealership I worked at in college sold a guy the boat he wanted to sell (and had higher profit margin) versus the boat the guy wanted. The guy saw my boat (very similar to what he actually wanted) and was freakin pissed because boss told him he wouldn't sell those. Not sure if they ever did any more business together.
That reminds me one day I was at local husqvarna dealer when a oldish man was getting served in front of me he was looking for a small saw for cutting pallets and such (not exactly large trees) he told the dealer that he had a very bad back and was not able to carry anything heavy for any period of time so the dealer told him that the best saw for the job was a 365 with a 24" bar (that combo of saw is not exactly light in my opinion ) the customer didn't agree with him at the start but after a while was persuaded that it was the right size for the job he needed it's no wonder that dealer went out of business. Im

My dad had/has a Stihl and his dad's dad had a Stihl etc so I had a bit of a lean that way when it came to buying my first saw but I went and spoke to both the Stihl and husky dealer. I asked both what their saw would do better than the other brand equivalent and neither of them had much to say apart from the flippy caps on the Stihl so I was satisfied either would be a good choice. But when the Stihl guy asked me what I wanted it for and I said cutting 6-8 cubes a year (2 cord) he suggested a 50cc range saw where the husky guy said "The bigger the better". He would have sold me a 3120 if I had been game and lost me at that point since the only saw I had used to that point was dad's 031AV with 16 inch bar and that was only a couple of times.

Of course, now I think the husky guy was right :laugh: but the small firewoodin' saw was what I needed at the time to get me started.

My pops has a stihl, My uncle had 1 stihl (at the time) but a old man came into the dealership for a oil change on his Silverado, he had a Husqvarna in the bed of the truck. It turns out he was too old for the "big saw" and was going to trade it in on a little Husqvarna. He mentioned that he was afraid they'd only give him $50 for it, I asked him what he wanted and the rest is history. If only I could convince my uncle that Swedish saws are superior to German saws......

In fairness, I do own and enjoy both. Just lean towards the Swedish

Have only just returned to buying anything husqvarna after an absolute arsewipe of a dealer put me off many years ago. Of course, I'll never again set foot in that guys store as long as I live, but the deal on a 395xp at another dealer was pretty good, and at the time Stihl had made mincemeat of their 661 re-re-release, so I'm happy. That said, I've found some pretty cheap (like, about $800 off retail here by the time it is delivered) husky deals overseas that make me want to import a few more saws and start a small pop-up stall in the carpark of the aforementioned prick dealer's store. Just for giggles.

Essentially a bit like this lady (who was actually fired for this salutation of Trump's motorcade recently)
5a00b169fc7e93257a8b4569.jpg

Ill-advised and fraught with consequences, but seemed like a good idea and rather satisfying at the time.

My dad had/has a Stihl and his dad's dad had a Stihl etc so I had a bit of a lean that way when it came to buying my first saw but I went and spoke to both the Stihl and husky dealer. I asked both what their saw would do better than the other brand equivalent and neither of them had much to say apart from the flippy caps on the Stihl so I was satisfied either would be a good choice. But when the Stihl guy asked me what I wanted it for and I said cutting 6-8 cubes a year (2 cord) he suggested a 50cc range saw where the husky guy said "The bigger the better". He would have sold me a 3120 if I had been game and lost me at that point since the only saw I had used to that point was dad's 031AV with 16 inch bar and that was only a couple of times.

Of course, now I think the husky guy was right :laugh: but the small firewoodin' saw was what I needed at the time to get me started.
I don't dislike husqvarna I haven't used 1 enough but when the time came for my own chainsaw I didn't have a high income but I wanted a decent saw so I went to the local husky dealer and explained the situation that I'd pay a third of what the saw was priced at and pay rest within 6 weeks he said no full or nothing. I wouldn't have mind if did not know me but I was only living about 3 minutes away from his shop and was good friends with his brother. As I had a big side job on i needed a saw so I went to the stihl dealer that didn't know me and explained my situation again so to my surprise he said yes on 1 condition that he needed proof of where I lived . I finished the side job the weekend after and paid of the saw in full so that's why I will stick with stihl because of that dealer who gave me a chance
You can't beat a good dealer
(Ps I'm not pissed off at the husky dealer because if I'm selling something I'd want the money upfront )

Some one told me if you told a Stihl dealer you were going to use your saw for milling they would void the warranty. Then I saw a Husky add with a 3120 on a mill. An old friend had been the book keeper for a local Husky dealer, and he said they were a good shop. I called the Husky shop and talked to the owner and told him I was looking at a 3120 and an 880. Told him I had cash. Wanted the saw and 3 bars. Whatever he had in the 24", 40" and 60" range. He said he didn't stock 3120's because so few people need them. Said he could have one in in a few days and would call me back in a few hours with price. No call. Called next day and he said he forgot to check, would call back in a couple hours. No call. Saw on line that an Ace Hadware dealer about 20 miles down the road was a Stihl dealer. They happened to have a Stihl sale going on. Asked if he had an 880, said yep got a couple of them. Drove down to take a look. Wound up saving some money and bought a 660. Told him I wanted 3 bars. What he had in stock were 24", 36" and 47". Told him I was getting it just for milling. He said no problem. Then he said that the 47" bar would void the warranty, 660 was rated at 36" max. Told him I had cash. He knocked 10% of the sale price. The sale on the 660 was with the 36" bar, so he gave me the 24" for half price and threw the chain in free. Gave me a gallon of bar oil and 6 quarts of synthetic mix free. Called the Husky dealer back. When he heard it was me he said sorry he forgot to work up prices again. Told him no problem, I bought a Stihl. Maybe he thought I was just some yoyo that didn't know beans. But, he had the advantage. I was leaning Husky because of the warranty thing. All he had to do was put together the price. Now, I can't see ever buying a new Husky, I give all of my business to the dealer that helped me out the minute I walked in his store, Joe.

Some one told me if you told a Stihl dealer you were going to use your saw for milling they would void the warranty. Then I saw a Husky add with a 3120 on a mill. An old friend had been the book keeper for a local Husky dealer, and he said they were a good shop. I called the Husky shop and talked to the owner and told him I was looking at a 3120 and an 880. Told him I had cash. Wanted the saw and 3 bars. Whatever he had in the 24", 40" and 60" range. He said he didn't stock 3120's because so few people need them. Said he could have one in in a few days and would call me back in a few hours with price. No call. Called next day and he said he forgot to check, would call back in a couple hours. No call. Saw on line that an Ace Hadware dealer about 20 miles down the road was a Stihl dealer. They happened to have a Stihl sale going on. Asked if he had an 880, said yep got a couple of them. Drove down to take a look. Wound up saving some money and bought a 660. Told him I wanted 3 bars. What he had in stock were 24", 36" and 47". Told him I was getting it just for milling. He said no problem. Then he said that the 47" bar would void the warranty, 660 was rated at 36" max. Told him I had cash. He knocked 10% of the sale price. The sale on the 660 was with the 36" bar, so he gave me the 24" for half price and threw the chain in free. Gave me a gallon of bar oil and 6 quarts of synthetic mix free. Called the Husky dealer back. When he heard it was me he said sorry he forgot to work up prices again. Told him no problem, I bought a Stihl. Maybe he thought I was just some yoyo that didn't know beans. But, he had the advantage. I was leaning Husky because of the warranty thing. All he had to do was put together the price. Now, I can't see ever buying a new Husky, I give all of my business to the dealer that helped me out the minute I walked in his store, Joe.

And thus a lifelong allegiance is formed. I wonder if husky and Stihl have worked out that having the right dealer makes such a difference.

I have a Stihl dealer less than 2 miles from my house, at the local Southern States. I deal at the SS quite a bit, but didn't look to them when I was shopping saws because the guy in charge of the saw shop was a jerk. He's gone now and the new guy is pretty decent. So, for oil and stuff I go to them, but big ticket stuff I go back to the Ace dealer that sold me the 660, Joe.

Latest posts

Back