ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Scrounging firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by mainewoods, Feb 23, 2014.

1. benp

benp Addicted to ArboristSite

I knew milling generates a lot of heat and you need a ripping angled/math chain and it's strenuous on the powerhead.

Kind of like prairie dog hunting. Bring a bunch of rifles and rotate through them when a barrel gets too warm.

chipper1, farmer steve, svk and 4 others like this.
  2. MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt Addicted to ArboristSite

My top tech went out dog hunting, he switched back and forth between his .223 and .22-250, had himself a blast

chipper1, farmer steve, svk and 5 others like this.
  3. woodchip rookie

woodchip rookie Addicted to ArboristSite

From start to finish if I had only one saw I could see doing that, but if I have a t540, a 550 and a 395 why would I sling a 94cc saw with a 32" bar on it to limb with?

IMO, sling the lightest saw that will do the job. When I get to 18" wood, It's not limbs anymore. It's bucking wood on the ground, and most of the time 20" or there abouts. Instead of using a 32" bar on 18" wood, use a 20. And instead of pulling a 20" bar on a 550 or 562, rip through it with a 395.

I don't understand your thought process and I guess you won't understand mine, but it doesn't matter. Stop arguing with me and go get some wood!! :D

P.S. How big are you? I wouldn't be able to sling a 395 from start to finish. I'm 5'6" 150lbs.

4. Buckshot00

Buckshot00 00

Bout time to start scrounging wood again. Temps are dropping and skeeters are vanishing.

chipper1, JustJeff, dancan and 6 others like this.
  5. benp

benp Addicted to ArboristSite

Sweet!!!

Bar none one of the best things to make some one a better shot. I love it!!!!!!

Aim small, miss small at 600 yards.

Makes deer season that much easier.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff Addicted to ArboristSite

20” is pretty common around here. Lot of guys getting loads of logs and cutting off the pile. Most wood is 24” or smaller off the log truck so a 20 or even 18 works fine. Start cutting up top and over buck, I can cut close to 28” with my 20 from one side. Anything longer winds up in the dirt or in the way of other logs. I’ve only ever cut two trees where I wished I had something longer and it was just for the first few cuts from the base. Neighbor has a 95cc jonsered with a 20” bar. It will just eat! One of these days I’m going to pick up a 28 for my 460 for that once in a blue moon.

7. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

Pretty much agree with what you say there Jeff, but I will add the following:

1) The less you put your bar tip in the wood, the longer your bar will last.

2) It is a lot easier to over buck a 24" log than a 40" log! There comes a point when your arms just aren't long enough!

I don't use the 36" often, but for some large stumping and bucking, I'm thankful I have it.

8. Cody

Cody ArboristSite Guru

That's why I have a 170, 261, then jump clear to the 661. Oak trees are my primary source and that's all there is for trees out here really. TON of limbs on them damn bur oaks so when I fell a tree I start from the top with my 170, the small stuff(under 8") gets cut the length of that saw with a 12" bar on it to go in the garage stove. From there on up I use my 261 for the limbs and the bigger saw for the trunk. Dad used to do it all with his 044 but he didn't take stuff under 6", and those 044's really aren't much more weight than the 261. Most of the limbs, well 60-70% are waist height to over my head usually, I'd rather use the 170 for that than even the 261. Better to have to drop a cheap saw and run too IMO, and the 170 has the broken handle to prove it.

chipper1, JustJeff, dancan and 4 others like this.
  9. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Pole saw.

Philbert

chipper1, JustJeff, Cody and 2 others like this.
  10. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

11. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 ESD sufferer

chipper1, JustJeff, bear1998 and 5 others like this.
  12. woodchip rookie

woodchip rookie Addicted to ArboristSite

chipper1, Cowboy254, JustJeff and 2 others like this.
  13. Cody

Cody ArboristSite Guru

I need to get one...

14. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Once you have one, . . .

Philbert

chipper1, Cowboy254 and Cody like this.
  15. Cody

Cody ArboristSite Guru

I've got a few hung up trees out here that would make it useful as well, they're awfully handy.

16. dancan

dancan Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !

chipper1, Cowboy254, JustJeff and 3 others like this.
  17. dancan

dancan Spruce , The preferred wood of the Purgatory !

I'm serious about the wool , during the winter months real wool plays a big part in my outdoor gear .
    While some of my under garments are of some of the newer fabrics that wick moisture away but wool is my choice of outerwear when working because of breath-ability , lightness and mobility that wool gives you , it will keep you warm when you sweat or have snow melt .
    I do wear something to stop the wind when traveling on the tractor in the 32 and below temps but that comes off in a hurry when the scrounging begins so I don't overheat .
    Wool is as awesome as spruce and beer :)

chipper1, Cowboy254, JustJeff and 8 others like this.
  18. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

Had to work on a project with the wife this morning ... fixed some broken cabinet hinges (you can't find replacements with the same pocket cuts) with Loctite PL Premium ... I love that stuff!

Then I got mad at myself for not having been out hunting yet this year. Don't think I have ever been this late in my entire life (since old enough to do it). So I searched through the shed and got my hunting clothes, boots, knives, range finder, etc., got the climbing tree stand down and the cross bow ready.

Was in my tree by 3:00, and by 4:15 a 4 point buck was on the ground. Watched it for 20 minutes before it gave me a good shot. I have never taken a deer in so little time in my life, and it was also my first deer with a cross bow. It is a CenterPoint 370 and I love it, made a 30 yard broadside shot seem almost too easy. I thought it was a 6 point, but no matter, the body is a decent size so we will have some venison in the freezer! Pressure is off, good thing, cause I still have people that want wood or splitting, or cutting, etc.

If I hunt more now, can only take a doe. On the 18th, I'll have 3 more weeks to take another buck.

19. svk

svk A little bit of everything

Nice Mike.

I've seen lots of does and fawns but I'm in a buck only area. Hoping the rut starts soon.

chipper1, Cowboy254, JustJeff and 2 others like this.
  20. crowbuster

crowbuster ArboristSite Guru

Good day to follow your gut. congrats