Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nomad, nice buck, congrats! Enjoy that venison.

FS - We have that darn antler restriction stuff up at my property in the Catskills. I'm basically a meat hunter, and would rather get a small buck every year than a large on ever 3 or 4 years. Plus, i got the nice size 8 pt last year where there is no antler restriction.

Also, the owner of the property I was on yesterday is contemplating retiring/moving, so I may not be able to return next year. However, he has been saying that for several years now. He works for BMW, and they don't want to let him go. It will not be a good day when I can no longer hunt this property. Over the last decade I have taken 3 bucks and several does from there. I have also taken deer from several other places during that time, but none as consistent as this place. I also like the specific tree I have been using. I seem to see many more deer in the late afternoon at this location, which is fine with me (most spots produce best in the morning), the wind almost always in light and in my face, and except off to my right, there are many opportunities for a clear shot. It is just easy to get to, and a good hunting spot. I had a better spot even closer to home, but the antis successfully pressured the owner into not letting me hunt there (they threatened to object to his sub division). I know from trail cams that the 8 pt I almost got there last year is now an 11 pt.
We have antler restrictions too...it has to have an antler at least 3" long or you can't shoot it!

What is you minimum size? We were 24 caliber minimum for years but they dropped it to 22 cal centerfire. I'm not a fan of that as too many hunters do not understand bullet construction and use varmint loads that will disintegrate upon hitting heavier bone or hide.

I've never shot a deer with a cartridge less powerful than a .30-30 or smaller caliber than .270
steve, the smaller cal. were meant for placement shots! shots such as head, heart or shoulder/spin/base of the neck... sharp shooting is an exact sport, as well as target shooting on human or animal's ! look at the military/law enforcement rounds other then the .308,s..... "SORRY" if this upset's some! but a clean kill is a must !!

What is you minimum size? We were 24 caliber minimum for years but they dropped it to 22 cal centerfire. I'm not a fan of that as too many hunters do not understand bullet construction and use varmint loads that will disintegrate upon hitting heavier bone or hide.

I've never shot a deer with a cartridge less powerful than a .30-30 or smaller caliber than .270
We aren't allowed to use necked down rifle calibers at all. The only way we can use a rifle is if it's a strait wall handgun cartridge like 357mag.

Temps have dropped enough here that I've found the limit of an ickle 5kw stove in a poorly insulated house, and the gas central heating boiler is fired up. I feel kinda dirty. It's not that cold, 8-10C day time, 2-6 night time.... But damp as well and this is a typical between the wars house, draughty and not well insulated. Still, stove number 2 will get installed soon, so another 5kW of wood heat, when I can be bothered to feed 2 hungry stoves!

Cold, grey and damp. Erk. Are you able to close up a few holes in the place and retrofit some insulation? You'll prize any hardwood you can get your hands on if you're feeding two heaters.

I've no idea what the law is here, except guns arent. Hunting is a class thing here, whether fox hunts (the pack of beagle followed by a load of red blazer wearing Rupert on horse back?, or tweed jacketed Roderick's with a double barrel slung over their batman's arm seeking a stag in Scottish heather.
Grouse and pheasant shoots too, it's a sport for the very very well healed. A normal guy with a gun will only be seen with a stocking over his face, running from a bank.

We just don't get your view of guns over here.

Cold, grey and damp. Erk. Are you able to close up a few holes in the place and retrofit some insulation? You'll prize any hardwood you can get your hands on if you're feeding two heaters.

We get government grants for stuff like PV panels and house insulation from time to time, and would be interested in external wall insulation if a grant made it cost effective. For me, with a 8 inch solid brick wall it means cladding which I know can be quite neat but costs a packet. My last house has cavity wall and getting insulation blown in was cheap.
As for blocking holes..... With rh in the 60s you need to shift air through the house or you'll get mold, I've been opening up previously blocked air bricks and installing others.

Oh how it would be good to be dry!

We just don't get your view of guns over here.

We call it Freedom, and I'll never forget the pleased look an the guys face (a relative of my first wife) when I told him it was OK for us to go out in the farmer's field and shoot wood chucks! He just could not believe it!

In my state it's shoot whatever deer you like, even cute little baby ones. But not in a National Park o_O.

So, you are allowed to shoot anything, just not allowed to have a gun???

See now I dream of RH like that. Inside my house or varies between about 50 and 75 although usually it's in the range 55-65, top end of that in winter. Running the stove pulls it down several percent, maybe 5, which makes a big difference. The British Isles..... Clue in the name... Small bits of land surrounded by the Atlantic, it is always damp here
Not sure how accurate the RH is. The one in my bedroom says 55 percent. I know the outdoor thermometer is accuraye because I've compared it to the one I have out on the tree that just blew down in the ice storm.

I have a ton of wool and fleece. When I used to snowmobile in the mountains all the time it was a legit necessity. Now I use it everyday I am working outside. Kept you dry and warm. Cotton was a death sentence. Crazy how you can get a thin layer of ice next your skin and your frozen in a matter of minutes.
I love wool. I have many different vests, jackets, bibs, and pants from Woolrich, Hudson Bay, and others. Should have a lifetime supply now lol.

SVK, that is what the rule is (for bucks) down here. Up at my property, it is min 3 points on one side, 1" each. You have to ask the deer to stay still for a moment, and please come out of that brush!!! What BS!!! If it is a full size deer, and you can see antlers, it S/B OK to shoot.
Yeah I've never shot smaller than a "fork" (4 pointer) but I don't think the wardens will get on you if you take a little buck with shorter but visual spikes.

My wife prefers to hunt with my F150. Last
Deer got away but cost the insurance company $3800!
I got a button buck with the wood truck this fall. Called the warden and he asked a few questions and emailed me a possession tag. Only cracked the license plate bracket on the old truck.

Have nearly hit a doe and a buck (maybe 6 pointer) since the rut is on when I've been driving back to the lake cabin to check on the cat every few nights.

Back