Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly kind of like pork.
I wouldn't say that......it has a taste of its own in my opinion. An old boar is horrible....old sow soso....2 to 3 year old is pretty good done right. I had a 2 year old that when it was made by my brother in laws mother it taste like roast beef! Really depenbs on how its cooked n what you add to it.

Back on topic… Headed back to the mates place. Pulled this Iron bark down with the car first.
upload_2017-11-20_9-14-34.png

Diced it up with the 550XP with a brand new Carlton semi chisel chain.
upload_2017-11-20_9-15-15.png

Last week’s green wood in first.

upload_2017-11-20_9-15-39.png

Iron bark on top, filled it up to the max.
upload_2017-11-20_9-16-14.png

Overflow wood into the back of the car, saw’s were at the kids feet.
upload_2017-11-20_9-16-36.png

If you have two rows in parallel just get some straight branch wood that is long enough to span through both stacks. It ties them together good. No need to cross stack a column mid row. I'll stack two 20' long rows in parallel 6-7 foot tall with no worries.
That’s a helluva good idea! I hate I never thought of it.

Sorry for my adding to the derailment, just most my pals from this site are all in this thread and most share the same love of hunting. Back to firewood, oddly up at the cabin the ash wouldn't burn but the cherry, the cherry was AWESOME. I come home from the long weekend and the wife and little daughter have the wood bins inside full and the stove cranking.

Hey Haywire, took both the deer and bear still hunting.....

After sitting in my stand and freezing the nuggets off for 3hours......

Went to show a pal the bear on the way to the taxidermist, he has a new tree laying in his yard. Tells me that if he knew I was coming he would have told me to bring my saws. Going to have to swing back there this week after work. Ash tree that the beetle had killed. Hopefully not to rotten....

That is a seriously huge amount of wood Cowboy! I'm envious. I'm also envious that you hardly need to split it compared to me, I reckon on average I'd split everything down about 4 to 6 times smaller!

I've googled for UK grown eucalypt density and found this research paper looking at its potential for biomass.
http://www.eeo.ed.ac.uk/abs/research/forestsci/Leslieetal.pdf
It is thin on density with just one short paragraph, which says,
Wood density is also important as it largely determines the calorific value per unit volume [11] and eucalypts have denser wood than other species utilised for biomass production over short rotations: SRC willow has a wood density of 0.4 Mg/m3 [13], whereas E. nitens grown in Australia on two sites had a density of 0.471 Mg/ m3 and 0.541 Mg/m3 [14] and E. gunnii grown in the Midi Pyrenees in France, a density of 0.5 Mg/m3 [7]

So at 0.5 its slightly less dense than most leyland cypress :nofunny: However I'll probably pick some up if it looks straight at knot free.

Love that parrot! Has someone else been feeding it do you think? or are they often that tame?

A lot of the southern bluegum (e.globulus) rounds were dry before I cut them (hell on the chain) and had a big crack up the middle up to 2cm wide and spanning maybe 3/4 of the diameter. Finishing the job was easy but then trying to turn the halves into quarters - forget it. So if the halves are small enough to fit in the heater (under 12 inch diam) they're going in the shed and they'll be great for night burning. I'd normally take them down smaller but when the first 20 strikes with the 8lb-er give you nothing, not even a hint of an opening, I'm not inclined to drop a nut with another 20 just to see if I have more luck the second time.

I found a similar article on various eucalypts planted for harvesting and producing considerably lower densities than the species typically does in the wild. I think the key words are "plantation" and "short rotations". Can't really compare them to non-plantation timber. My reference book makes this note of e.saligna (Sydney bluegum) which normally has a 12% MC density of 850kg/m.

"This species has been grown extensively in plantations in South Africa but the density of such rapidly grown wood is much less than that of mature Australian material, being in the range of 500-600kg/m". That's a massive difference and I'll bet the South Africans felt ripped off.

If your cider gum has come from someone's garden or a park it'll probably be better than those plantation trees, even accounting for the different growing conditions. You'll find out when you burn it I suppose :).

We used to have king parrots that would visit our old house and we would hand feed them where the rosellas would be too chicken. Cockatoos will also eat from your hand but we now live in a cedar house and cockies will eat cedar if there's not much food around (as well as being generally destructive) so I'm not encouraging them. Never had a wild bird like the parrot follow me around like that before, I hope he comes back.

Yeah, uncle Mike rolls in with 11 saws slammed in the mustang. Rocked my chain on my 262 early so was running my 362 when he hands me one of his wicked 60cc ported monsters. Ran three tanks through that beast and then 4 more through Bill's 372. Pops, Uncle Mike and ran saws for hours and the boys ran the splitters. Broke Back Bill managed to run the excavator and we knocked it out the park. Thank god for the two extra boys, the four youngers boys were still splitting wood when my body had checked out for the day.

Like my uncle called it, all the guys that showed up for the party afterwards were just amazed what and how much we got done.
I think mike goes everywhere with 11 saws slammed in the mustang. That's how he showed up at the PA gtg to.

I've scrounged some Paulownia over the weekend. Young weather damaged trees so they are only good as firewood. I was kinda surprised how the same tree will give off fine dust and then very nice chips just a couple meters down but I had never cut Paulownia before.
I think it will be ready to burn in a month or so. Very very light wood.
I've also cut quite a bit of small dry branches for the fireplace: I don't like using starter fluids and the like.

More scrounging coming as the weather's turned cold and the firewood piles are starting to dwindle...

Speaking of BBQ, love those vinegar based sauces!

Yeah, the deer are still scroungin' too! There was another 15 standing on the hill waiting their turn.View attachment 417482
a before pic of Clint's jeep.:innocent:

Ditto on the release agent, even then sometimes the're hard to get apart.
I've used Brownells ,Marine-Tex even JB Weld to bed a rifle, they all work.
What you want is that the action returns to the exact same positon after each shot, Action and couple inches of barrel work, free float the rest of the bbl.
When you tigthen down the guard screws, no stressing of the action.
Ever bed a Ruger No,1 ? Bolt actions are cake. Even a M1 Garrand is easy.
Oh, don't forget the release agent or you'll have what the Bench Rest boys call a glue in.

Well I guess you can't talk about scrounging ALL the time. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, you know. lol

You should oughta stop by the package store on your way home from work tomorrow, Farmer Steve. :sweet:

View attachment 468777

Smoked beaver is awesome!
been a few derails over the years. :omg: it always comes back to scrounging firewood or saws or splitters or.....................................

Back