Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a picture of the cross cut?

Yeah, I was contemplating buying a new scope for the .30-06, but the scrounger in me heard that another 06 was getting a new scope and its scope would soon be available, so I figured id wait for that one. I just figured the owner of that scope and gun would want the new scope on it for this season, but maybe next season..

Hey, I'm not too worried...last time I borrowed a shoulder mounted cannon, I was able to land a 8pt buck. I'm bringing the .35rem to the Farm tomorrow just to check its zero so my back-up is covered. I know I could use the .223, it shoots remarkably well, I bet I could shoot them in the head out to 100yds with that gun no problem. The 6.5 groups very well too, but switching from 168gr to 140gr, I didn't know where it shoot. BTW, I'm going to bring up the box of Hornady bullets for it, so you can start reloading those. I'm actually very interested in it, if you want I can drive out one night after work so I can learn.

I feel bad for trusty old 30-06, I've owned that gun for 5 years and shot 5 deer with it. I hope with all the extra hardware I have in the cabinet now she doesn't feel left out....

The other thing I've been thinking about is just biting the bullet and getting a new Nikon for the 30-06 and if that other 30-06 donates its hand me down scope Ill put it on the 6.5, I don't thing the 4x that is on it does it any justice, that gun flat shoots and 4x is like ehhhhhh...... It works on the .35rem, but that 6.5.......

Ahhh the fun of picking a new scope. I'm a fan of redfield scopes but thats me. Mine has help up to the .300 mag recoil so its a winner to me. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Ya'll some knowledge filled fellas, when sighting in today he made me wait at least 5 min between shots. Said that with that big gun the barrel heats up too much and we'd be chasing our dial trying to dial the big girl in. We let the barrel cool and the last three shots clover leafed with two being damn near the same hole. I was impressed with the new M77 Hawkeye, I had heard stories of the Mark II M77 being garbage, but the new ones..... They sure can shoot.

Ive never given "barrel cool down" too much thought before today, what you say fellas??

I let mine cool down between shots or 3 shot groups. I'm not sure how significant of a difference it makes but when I am zeroing for hunting I want each shot similar to conditions when I am shooting at a critter. Therefore cold bore for me.

been a few derails over the years. :omg: it always comes back to scrounging firewood or saws or splitters or.....................................

A few derails.....This time of the year there is always a few hunting related derails. I will be fishing again soon so I will be sharing some of that. The guns discussion that was removed from the thread a few years ago was because that discussion escalated and was no longer friendly. Honestly guys I can scrounge and split but there is still only so much wood I can accumulate. This really should be the scrounging firewood and other bs thread. Keep on scrounging. I will be spending opening day of PA deer rifle season splitting wood. I will make sure to share some pictures.

Good morning guys :drinkingcoffee:.
All caught up in here again :reading:, you guys been having plenty of fun.
Kinda bugs me that I don't get alerts to the thread when I haven't selected them for a while, seems like AS is run by a gaggle bot :(.
I plan to do more splitting by hand this year as part of my winter exercise program. This will be on wood I've scrounged so it will all qualify for this thread as I wouldn't want to derail it lol.
The 310 was my first 'real' saw so it won't ever be sold.
If I had a cord for every time I heard that :envy:.
And you know the stories about me, I was there too at that age
I'm listening :surprised3:.
Looking at a 088 at the moment that was used for a mill most of its life i don't know it's history it doesn't look the best but it's cheap compared to other saws it size it needs a exhaust I'm looking at buying it with the intention of a full rebuild but would it be hard and expensive to get oem parts
Those are some costly mufflers:envy::envy::envy:.
I put a Magnum sticker on a 4218 poulan thing never cut better
Or worse:lol:.
Yes shooting over bait, night or day is lame.
As is fishing with bait :p.
But it's exactly that advantage that take the sporting element out of it. If all you want at the end of the day is a dead deer, just shoot one out you truck cab window with a spotlight shining in his face. Sport is supposed to be a challenge, where's the challenge in shooting down at a something that has no natural instinct to look up for danger?
:dumb:
do you hunt????
Only chipmunks, red squirrels, opossum, and woodchucks, unless the store is out of meat :barbecue::sweet:.
Just a sled full for the next few days burnin'

Can't believe you used a gas powered saw, seems like an unfair advantage:laughing:.
Been laid up for a few weeks, sure is good to be back. Broke 11 ribs and lost my "skidder". I figured it would be better to hit this beech than try and survive the ride down the mountain with no brakes and a load of oak in the back. It wasn't an accident, it was an "on purpose". It was the only choice I could see in the 8 seconds I had to make a decision. The 4' oak load shifted forward on impact and drove my seat and me into the steering wheel. I guess it was better than the 35 degree down hill ride facing me. Any way I made it.
View attachment 612595
Did you get a new skidded yet, or fixing the jeep.
A cat scan showed no punctured lung, I was lucky. Didn't develop pneumonia either , thank god. 8 broken on the right side and 3 on the left. 2 weeks of the worst pain I think I've ever felt. Once they stopped grating against each other it was tolerable. DR. wanted to put me in the hospital for a week, on morphine, I declined his offer. Almost wished I had now. Went back to work after 2 weeks, still ain't quite right though.
Glad to hear your recovering that sounds like some very excruciating pain.
My BIL toped a tree just above half way, the tree hit the ground on it's top bounced back up and knocked him out of the tree, he fell on his back on a chain link fence, then the tree landed on top of him :surprised3:. He had a few broken ribs and a punctured/deflated(?) lung. The next morning he had his wife help him out of bed, he hopped in the shower and went to work :eek:, she said she wouldn't have helped him up if she knew he would go to work lol.
I think your that type of guy :laugh::cheers:.
whats a matter with you guys makin your grandma cut trees down? even if it is spruce. :surprised3: at least you gave her a good saw.:bowdown:

Must be the mom of the 660 gal, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near her :crazy2:.

View attachment 613349 View attachment 613350 View attachment 613351
Found some nice tamarack that no one has cut because they’re so far from the road but with snow on the ground was able to get them to slide close enough to the road to get:).

Nice one Nate.
Are you left handed.
That saws a runner.

Ahhh the fun of picking a new scope. I'm a fan of redfield scopes but thats me. Mine has help up to the .300 mag recoil so its a winner to me. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Give Nikon a try. Gathers light as good or better than a Leupold for 60 percent the cost. My dad was an old Redfield fan but I only have one left on his favorite big game rifle (Mark V in 7mm Wby).

Re derails....I am guilty from time to time but as long as people aren't fighting I see no problem with it. We tried a general discussion thread in the firewood section a few times and it never really took off, but if someone wants to start one we sure can try it again. There is the "Good morning" thread over in Off Topic but that is way too busy for me to keep up with...everyone replies to each post individually and the thing can run 10 pages in a few hours. Don't get me wrong though, the fellows in there are all top notch dudes who I like and respect.

Good morning guys :drinkingcoffee:.
All caught up in here again :reading:, you guys been having plenty of fun.
Kinda bugs me that I don't get alerts to the thread when I haven't selected them for a while, seems like AS is run by a gaggle bot :(.
I plan to do more splitting by hand this year as part of my winter exercise program. This will be on wood I've scrounged so it will all qualify for this thread as I wouldn't want to derail it lol.

If I had a cord for every time I heard that :envy:.

I'm listening :surprised3:.

Those are some costly mufflers:envy::envy::envy:.

Or worse:lol:.

As is fishing with bait :p.

:dumb:

Only chipmunks, red squirrels, opossum, and woodchucks, unless the store is out of meat :barbecue::sweet:.

Can't believe you used a gas powered saw, seems like an unfair advantage:laughing:.

Did you get a new skidded yet, or fixing the jeep.

Glad to hear your recovering that sounds like some very excruciating pain.
My BIL toped a tree just above half way, the tree hit the ground on it's top bounced back up and knocked him out of the tree, he fell on his back on a chain link fence, then the tree landed on top of him :surprised3:. He had a few broken ribs and a punctured/deflated(?) lung. The next morning he had his wife help him out of bed, he hopped in the shower and went to work :eek:, she said she wouldn't have helped him up if she knew he would go to work lol.
I think your that type of guy :laugh::cheers:.

Must be the mom of the 660 gal, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near her :crazy2:.

Nice one Nate.
Are you left handed.
That saws a runner.
Brett, if you miss the first notification then you will never get another one until you visit the last page of the thread again. It is annoying to say the least. Not like FB where you get notifications till kingdom come.

Often what happens is you read a post, and don't realize there is another on a new page, and because you did not read the final post, you will not get a notification, and before you can blink, you are pages behind!

Since it is still hunting season, and a few are saying they are "off topic" (mostly ones who don't or can not do it), I got nothin to say!

Back