Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mean to be rude when I was talking about derailments , I love to hunt the same as any man'woman and child. I only made a suggestion for a thread in firewood 'heating and wood burning equipment to discuss everything from chainsaw files to hunting and everything in between

yeah its mostly beech and a small bit of ash but getting it out will bemail a problem I got stuck twice with the jeep and trailer and that is with a empty trailer :angry:
Have you considered a locker for the jeep? Aussie lockers are cheap and can make a huge difference in off road situations. Some people consider lockers dangerous in short wheelbase vehicles but iv driven wranglers with everything from lunchbox lockers to full Detroit lockers and never had an issue.

Have you considered a locker for the jeep? Aussie lockers are cheap and can make a huge difference in off road situations. Some people consider lockers dangerous in short wheelbase vehicles but iv driven wranglers with everything from lunchbox lockers to full Detroit lockers and never had an issue.
thanks James that's a difflock ?,it would probably help to some extent but to be fair it's a tractor and trailer what's need

Give Nikon a try. Gathers light as good or better than a Leupold for 60 percent the cost. My dad was an old Redfield fan but I only have one left on his favorite big game rifle (Mark V in 7mm Wby).

Nah no reason to get away from the new Redfield scopes for me I have a 4-12x40mm revolution, best bang for my buck when I bought it 6 years ago. Plus these have the best eye relief I could find at the time at about 5" which I need ever bit of. I have nikon bio's that I have never been impressed with and they have finally failed this year so Nikon isn't on my list when shopping for new optics. Nikon never impressed with what I have seen. But optics are all personal preference.

I didn't mean to be rude when I was talking about derailments , I love to hunt the same as any man'woman and child. I only made a suggestion for a thread in firewood 'heating and wood burning equipment to discuss everything from chainsaw files to hunting and everything in between

I've been known to derail this thread by putting up posts about scrounging. Sorry fellas!

thanks James that's a difflock ?,it would probably help to some extent but to be fair it's a tractor and trailer what's need

Now you know why I jump on a deal if a tractor or logging winch pops up !
5 tractors , 5 trailers and 3 logging winches later I'm still on the watchout for the deals lol
You can never have too many scrounging tools ;)

How does bear taste it's on my bucket list to hunt
Only one way to fix bear and that is as a pot roast, and pour the grease off. First thing you need to do is make sure you trim all the fat. I like to leave fat on beef and pork as that is where the flavor is, but on a bear, that is also where the wild flavor is. If it is trimmed carefully, it will taste somewhere between beef and pork. You will find the meat is a little coarse textured. Taters, carrots, onions,, little salt and red pepper,, yum yum

I can’t imagine Irish grown eucalyptus would be dense or hard although snow gum may get pretty dense if conditions were right.

I concur, too damp to get good hard stuff. They'd likely be growing the less dense species anyway as well.

Certainly does look like a eucalpyt of some sort. It'll go better if you can convince the worst of the bark to come off, much less ash in your heater that way.

First thing you need to do is make sure you trim all the fat.

With Deer too, even though deer meat is very lean, the fat ruins it, as does the bone marrow (so I just butcher it with a knife).

I'll also give you guys a secret to removing the gameness from any venison steak. Marinate it (24 hours) in a concoction that includes sliced ginger root.

IMG_20170907_191716.jpg IMG_20170907_191323.jpgTractors are nice these are the work horses around here. We have a Simplicity to but it would get worked into the ground by that gravely so no picture. Between working the rear breaks seperatly and selectable locking rear you could probly get that Kabota damn near anywhere.

Re derails....I am guilty from time to time but as long as people aren't fighting I see no problem with it. We tried a general discussion thread in the firewood section a few times and it never really took off, but if someone wants to start one we sure can try it again. There is the "Good morning" thread over in Off Topic but that is way too busy for me to keep up with...everyone replies to each post individually and the thing can run 10 pages in a few hours. Don't get me wrong though, the fellows in there are all top notch dudes who I like and respect.
From time to time LOL.
Don't be sending folks over to the GMT with a bunch of off topic stuff LOL.
You better talk nice about use, we're watching you, always keeping an eye out o_O.
Brett, if you miss the first notification then you will never get another one until you visit the last page of the thread again. It is annoying to say the least. Not like FB where you get notifications till kingdom come.
It bums me out for sure. It seems as if alerts will show up randomly though now and then which seems odd. I usually just leave a tab open so I can hop in and out, but I had a bunch of phone/internet issues that messed that up, but I'm back until the next issue:badpc:.
I'm not into Facebook, that's what I have AS and 5 other forums for :surprised3:.

Thanks Brett, nope I’m a righty, why?
Ya it runs good, I do kinda miss my 562 though, maybe because it was ported.., :).
Just seeing you swing the axe and the upside-down saw, guess you get accustom to being abidextrious in areas you are well aquatinted with.
I thought it ran strong when I ran it:chainsaw:. I'm wanting to give the 562 a try, I need to invite Brad over for a mini gtg.

I think it eucalyptus

Take it cum grano salis, but when I studied for semester Ireland in the late 80's I heard
I concur, too damp to get good hard stuff. They'd likely be growing the less dense species anyway as well.

Certainly does look like a eucalpyt of some sort. It'll go better if you can convince the worst of the bark to come off, much less ash in your heater that way.

There have been many attempts to naturalize eucalyptus in Ireland since the 30's, or at least that's what I was told when I was studying there in the late 80's. Something to do with local farmers wanting a fast growing tree which could supply both foliage for fodder and high quality wood for sale abroad. In the end demand for eucalyptus wood never materialized and killed the whole venture, but not before at least a dozen species were planted.
Some may have become naturalized but I think most of what you find today are the remains of failed commercial ventures. I seem to recall the tree Irish farmers planted the most was cider gum, mostly because its foliage makes decent fodder, but I've never seen any as big as that in the pictures, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Take it cum grano salis, but when I studied for semester Ireland in the late 80's I heard

There have been many attempts to naturalize eucalyptus in Ireland since the 30's, or at least that's what I was told when I was studying there in the late 80's. Something to do with local farmers wanting a fast growing tree which could supply both foliage for fodder and high quality wood for sale abroad. In the end demand for eucalyptus wood never materialized and killed the whole venture, but not before at least a dozen species were planted.
Some may have become naturalized but I think most of what you find today are the remains of failed commercial ventures. I seem to recall the tree Irish farmers planted the most was cider gum, mostly because its foliage makes decent fodder, but I've never seen any as big as that in the pictures, so take that with a pinch of salt.
That is very interesting i never heard of that being used as fodder but when i cut the tree it had a large canopy that took most of a day to shred

View attachment 613790 View attachment 613791Tractors are nice these are the work horses around here. We have a Simplicity to but it would get worked into the ground by that gravely so no picture. Between working the rear breaks seperatly and selectable locking rear you could probly get that Kabota damn near anywhere.
i have a 2 wheel drive David brown 885 but its in the sick bay receiving some tlc to the injecter pump, I'll just about pass out when ill receive that bill

Back