Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when does the real scrounging start on the hill? I'm starting to get the itch haven't run a saw since the GTG.

I always said I wasn't having kids. Now I don't know what I'd do without them.View attachment 614125 View attachment 614126
I'm calling BS.
There is no way that kitset/flatpack storage cabinet can store 6 m3 of firewood. :laugh:
Maybe if they are face cubes.

Hard to tell in vid but tree had a little lean to the left and I learned a long time ago (the hard way:() to finish on opposite side of any lean. I have a wrap handle for the 372 (that I much prefer) but haven’t installed yet because easier to ship to porter with half wrap;).
Speaking of safety police........View attachment 614014that was close!:surprised3: My buddy was winching this red fir off the hill and it started sliding, thankfully it turned a little going over the bank and missed the pickup, stay safe out there fellow scroungers.
Nice how you split the picture up, I was thinking exactly "that was close", but the :surprised3: was first lol.
Did he have an extra pair of pants with:rare2:.
I guess things like that are bound to happen, but it's best if we take the grace given and learn quickly as we only get so many chances.
I had to pay for a rigging 101 course late this summer. It was the 101 course since it's the first issue that cost me something in regards to making a judgement error in rigging. I made a bunch of bad judgments and the addition of them all caused the hinge to break and the tree to pendulum swing into my suburban :omg:.
They say the mistakes we make that cost us the most are the ones we remember the best :laugh:. All things considered the cost of the class was cheap as the only thing that was damaged was my suburban, nothing on the property and no harm to anyone, to me that's a small cost in the big picture.
Here's a link to the post I made in the good morning thread with a picture attached for your viewing pleasure.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/good-morning-check-in.103636/page-14987#post-6371193

Continuing on...

View attachment 614060

Noodle, noodle

View attachment 614061

A few bits in the back because some traditions need to be honoured.

View attachment 614063

Loaded up

View attachment 614064

There could be about 20 pounds of noodles there, as well as another few cubes of wood left in the trunk.

View attachment 614065

It was a great morning's cutting!

:)
If anyone is thinking why did Cowboy cut the chunks so small, Ican tell you they are plenty big enough for down-under gum. That's a good workout there.

I hope no-one minds if I put this up here, even though I know this is not what this thread is about.

I do the afternoon shift at work on a Wednesday so there's an opportunity for a bit of me-time in the morning. So I sez to Cowgirl, "You can take my car to work today, I need the Subaru". She says "What for?".

"No reason..."

View attachment 614055

Heh, heh. Then I was almost instantly regretting it as Cowgirl slams her foot to the floor and unleashes 380 odd cubic inches of V8 vengeance down the street in my pride and joy.

I've been keeping an eye on the trunk of what I regard as 'my' manna gum and no-one has touched it since I last had a crack about a month ago.

View attachment 614056

There was a bit of mucking around with a double branch stub, taking chunks out of that.

View attachment 614057

Cowgirl has been digging in the noodles from the weekends bluegum noodling in her developing orchard, she should come down with a few garbage bags this arvo.

View attachment 614059

I've been considering @KiwiBro 's advice - that I should kill off all the scroungers taking all the smaller material, forcing me to take the big stuff. I've decided that this is tough but fair. It's a lot of work and fuel to get this stuff done.

View attachment 614058

More to come...

:)
cowboy that looks like it will be hard splitting :chop:

That's a lot of sawdust you generated . . . .

Philbert

Sawdust? SAWDUST?? My filing's not that bad is it?

I'm calling BS.
There is no way that kitset/flatpack storage cabinet can store 6 m3 of firewood. :laugh:
Maybe if they are face cubes.

:laughing:

If anyone is thinking why did Cowboy cut the chunks so small, Ican tell you they are plenty big enough for down-under gum. That's a good workout there.

As soon as you said that I had to go and weigh a bit to see.

22nd Nov 12.jpg

22nd Nov 11.jpg

32kgs or 70lbs. The biggest might have been 42-45kgs perhaps.

You're right though, I did noodle them a bit smaller this time. Trying to manhandle 50-75kg (110-165lb) bits into the trailer like last time has whiskers on it. In any case, I figured I'd need to noodle them again so I might as well make my life easier by doing it at the site. I don't need to go herniating my guts into my ballbag for the sake of it. Still, I don't feel the need to go to the gym tonight.
cowboy that looks like it will be hard splitting :chop:

Yes, some of it will be with some wavy grain and of course the branch stub sections - and there was a fair bit of that. However, that's why God invented noodling. Some of it is straight enough to split with the maul though with some motivated swingin.

Nice how you split the picture up, I was thinking exactly "that was close", but the :surprised3: was first lol.
Did he have an extra pair of pants with:rare2:.
I guess things like that are bound to happen, but it's best if we take the grace given and learn quickly as we only get so many chances.
I had to pay for a rigging 101 course late this summer. It was the 101 course since it's the first issue that cost me something in regards to making a judgement error in rigging. I made a bunch of bad judgments and the addition of them all caused the hinge to break and the tree to pendulum swing into my suburban :omg:.
They say the mistakes we make that cost us the most are the ones we remember the best :laugh:. All things considered the cost of the class was cheap as the only thing that was damaged was my suburban, nothing on the property and no harm to anyone, to me that's a small cost in the big picture.
Here's a link to the post I made in the good morning thread with a picture attached for your viewing pleasure.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/good-morning-check-in.103636/page-14987#post-6371193
I cut a small tree maybe 5-6 inches last summer and the top half broke out and missed me by about 8 inches. Hearing your story maid me think about it and how I should get a helmet. My mistake was trusting the tree to begin with but it had to go for fear it would fall into the neighbors yard and hurt one of his kids.

that big maple log is stihl at the bottom of the hill waitin for you and the 590. looks like we'll have to @Cowboy254 (noodle) the whole log. also some @zogger wood there to cut up.
Let me know when you want to do it. The little s25 I picked up the other week should be fun in the small stuff.

Butchered the bear last night and the dear tonight. Man you guys been busy on here. I forget who asked, but yes that's my older daughter. She and the little one love the outdoors. Shooting, Fishing, ATV, anything with me outside. I'm a very vary lucky guy, my kids are the best thing that ever happened to me.

That was me and you certainly are a lucky man. My kid's aren't old enough to have too much of an opinion. My 5 year old does like when I bring deer home so she can watch me butcher them. I think I am going to have my 5 year old help me work the press and make some ammo this weekend. Other than a few steps in the reloading process there isn't much she can mess up or hurt along the way. I may have to take a look at the weather and take her fishing this weekend. Hmmmm.

So when does the real scrounging start on the hill? I'm starting to get the itch haven't run a saw since the GTG.

James I am going to guess scrounging will be limited until after December 9th when we complete this years sweet corn eater relocation program.

that big maple log is stihl at the bottom of the hill waitin for you and the 590. looks like we'll have to @Cowboy254 (noodle) the whole log. also some @zogger wood there to cut up.
Should I bring the 660 to Ohio :).
No extra pretty small bars BTW.
Let me know if you guys plan a specific day, it would be cool if it coincided with going to the inlaws:chainsaw:.
BYOH bring your own hoodies:happy:.

Jim, real nice family pics!!! And yes, it you read my past posts, always wear a helmet when felling! Luckily I was wearing one, so there was no damage, but I got bonked pretty good!
At first I read I always wear a helmet when I'm feeling it, guess the coffee isn't totally kicking in yet, better make another pot :drinkingcoffee:.
If you had said whenever your feeling it, I would agree, and say if your not feeling it then don't be felling it LOL.
I cut a small tree maybe 5-6 inches last summer and the top half broke out and missed me by about 8 inches. Hearing your story maid me think about it and how I should get a helmet. My mistake was trusting the tree to begin with but it had to go for fear it would fall into the neighbors yard and hurt one of his kids.

Let me know when you want to do it. The little s25 I picked up the other week should be fun in the small stuff.
You remember the one where the top of the tree almost got me when pushing over the tree with the tractor and the top broke out(very brittle because we were in a drought). I wear my helmet most all the time whenever there are possible overhead dangers, done it for years on many of the jobs I had, whether I liked it or not. The worse was when your loading a load of steel and your on the trailer on a 95 degree day and the humidistats turn the heater on in a warehouse that is already 110, and it just so happens you under the heater and only 5' from it :cry:. I have 5 different hardhats and depending on what I'm working on I usually have at least 2 in the suburban at any given time.

That was me and you certainly are a lucky man. My kid's aren't old enough to have too much of an opinion. My 5 year old does like when I bring deer home so she can watch me butcher them. I think I am going to have my 5 year old help me work the press and make some ammo this weekend. Other than a few steps in the reloading process there isn't much she can mess up or hurt along the way. I may have to take a look at the weather and take her fishing this weekend. Hmmmm.
That's for sure, kids are such a blessing, I can't imagine where I would be today if it wasn't for mine.
My kids are pretty involved in whatever is going on and have gotten to experience things many kids never will which is very cool for them. I like that they want to try/experience things, I think it sets them up for life in a fashion that many kids don't get to share in which is a bummer. My 8yr old doesn't like blood/guts, but my 10yr old son and 5yr old daughter don't care.
Here's my boy after hanging at the neighbors, he hung out while the slaughtered all their chickens and turkeys.
IMG_20171111_122930513_LL.jpg
Even though my daughter doesn't like blood she aint a wimp :muscle::lol:.
20171003_102917.jpg

Should I bring the 660 to Ohio :).
No extra pretty small bars BTW.
Let me know if you guys plan a specific day, it would be cool if it coincided with going to the inlaws:chainsaw:.
BYOH bring your own hoodies:happy:.
Somebody finally gonna bring something to keep up with the 395. :D

Let me know when/where in Ohio the GTG will be.

Back