Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
today's haul. couple loads of walnut.20180116_110620 (2).jpg 20180116_095035.jpg 20180116_095035.jpg
and wait for it,wait for it.........................LOCUST!!!!!!!! Found a tree that had fallen into the farmers cornfield and he just picked corn around it. a littel punky where it broke off but stihl plenty there. only got one bucket bucked and then had to go help my dad fix a flat tire on his wood truck.
20180116_121536.jpg 20180116_130633 (1).jpg

Is sycamore any good for fire wood. Or should I leave it.
Let it dry a year in log form. Wait till next winter when its dryer and the remaining moisture is froze good then split it. Restack, let dry till following year. Kind of a pain but if you got somewhere to let it sit, it would be great shoulder season wood. Use the garbage in the warmer months instead of good stuff, or you could even mix with hardwood as filler in the stove in the cold months. Put the softer stuff in the bottom of the stove so instead of it burning fast then smothering the longer burning stuff, the longer burning stuff stays on top and gets air.

The latter 066s are the exact same as a MS 660, and I think decent AM cranks are available.

Not sure if the early short cases use a different crank or not.

Does the saw have a decomp button?
Thanks Mike it does have the decomp button on it. Should I get an OEM crank or is a aftermarket one ok.

Call a dealer and ask how much they want for an OEM. OEM is always better, but some thing are just priced through the moon. Some dealers also give much better prices than others. I never had to buy an OEM crank.

Wondering why it broke on the Flywheel side, the stress is on the drive side. Also, I'd replace the bearings, you need to split the case anyway.

Call a dealer and ask how much they want for an OEM. OEM is always better, but some thing are just priced through the moon. Some dealers also give much better prices than others. I never had to buy an OEM crank.

Wondering why it broke on the Flywheel side, the stress is on the drive side. Also, I'd replace the bearings, you need to split the case anyway.

Ok thanks Mike you the man. I’ll call the dealer in the morning and see what he can do. I didn’t want to order a aftermarket and get something wrong. If I tore it down now there no telling when I would get back to putting it together. Thanks again

View attachment 626010 Can anyone ID this wood. I only ask cause iv never seen stuff with spines like that. Rather sharp if you grab ahold of one to.
Lots of trees will do this as they die a slow death over many years. usually when a tree dies slowly from the top down they will send out a ton of new suckers on the sides of the tree. sometimes a hard stress will cause similar things in the tree and when it recovers the new growth covers up the small deformities caused by the suckers causing them to be inside the wood

On the topic of heat we are expecting 4 days in a row over 40c in my part of the world over the weekend.
I will be paradoxically be escaping the heat in the tropics with the family. 10 days in Singapore and Thailand where it will be 26 - 30c
Flying out early tomorrow, Over and out, I’ll report back when I get home.

On the topic of heat we are expecting 4 days in a row over 40c in my part of the world over the weekend.
I will be paradoxically be escaping the heat in the tropics with the family. 10 days in Singapore and Thailand where it will be 26 - 30c
Flying out early tomorrow, Over and out, I’ll report back when I get home.
enjoy your holiday,

Back