Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow nice! Are those ones edible or too rank?
These boars are rank but come out great in , Italian (hot and mild) cheese and jalapeño, and a variety of other sausage that we process at home. I wouldn’t eat them any other way. It seems our dogs prefer the challenge as we don’t often run across sows or little hogs. Sow meat tastes good in chili verde and other dishes. But we mainly prefer sausage for BBQ. Family and friends love it. 11005731-6B6A-48D2-A9FF-2E0654FC0A85.jpeg

Thanks for the offer I probably won’t make I back over there tell next September. It sure is a beautiful place to live every time I am back there it kills me to come back to California. I’ll let you know you when I head back that way make sure you have some wood to cut and I’ll bring my saws thanks again

Well I have figured out that getting a little bit at a time out of the scrounging pile is better than trying to fill a whole 8ft truck bed and being wore out at the end. Which means I probably dont need such a big truck.

Crazy talk, woodchip. Of course you need the big truck. Maybe you just need to toss the wood in a bit more loosely? I have to say though, once you've been working some big wood for a while, you do get more efficient and can get it done without conking out as much.

no sawin today but went and checked out some free wood from one of my produce stand customers. LOTS of dead, dry ash and locust. :happybanana: only about 6 miles from the house. easy tractor access. :clap: waitn for another good freeze.

You're doing a sterling job of keeping us heatstruck scroungeless Aussies happy, FS. Many pics, please.

I don't mean to rub it in but I'm sitting out on the deck refurbishing axes tonight. Beautiful day here and a few more nice days coming this week.

That sounds much better than my day. I had to sit in the shade by the river and drink beer through the early afternoon. Now it's late afternoon, onto Canadian Club :sweet:.

And sometimes the hog almost wins, what happens when you get in a hurry, they killed 49 last weekend
19554578_1987826928165807_3507518735961419899_n.jpg

My 16 yr old is fairly jealous of your hog harvest! He has finally accepted the fact that myAR10 and15 are much more effective with hogs than the 7mm BAR I gave him! Hard to beat a green laser and 20and 30 rnd mags.
After showing him your pics, I realized why I have always worried more about hogs than the couple black bears that show up regularly or the coyotes or the occasional Bob cat. With the bears, our Australian Shepherds and Pyrenees will quickly put them on the run, but with the hogs you never know how it will play out. Never worried about stuff like that until I had kids...

Crazy talk, woodchip. Of course you need the big truck. Maybe you just need to toss the wood in a bit more loosely? I have to say though, once you've been working some big wood for a while, you do get more efficient and can get it done without conking out as much.
Well only being 5'7" 150lbs (170cm/68Kg for you nonmurkan folk) I dont have much in reserve. I have to work smart to not kill myself. My right wrist started hurting a couple weeks ago also so now I can barely pick logs up off the ground. It only hurts when I pick up heavy stuff. It doesn't hurt to run the saw for some reason. I never really had the desire to own a splitter till now though. Before I would haul logs home and split them whenever I got to them, but if I had a splitter I could scrounge a 1/4 bedfull and split them on site before I load them on the truck then when I get home they get stacked right out of the truck and dont need touched again till its time to throw them in the stove. Ssooo...another question...It would be cool to have a hitch mounted splitter kind of like the 3 point splitters that go on tractors but on a pickup truck, then have it be powered by the truck instead of a garbage little gas motor. My truck is a 2014 F-250SD w/6.7L diesel. I think there is a PTO option for my truck, I just wonder if they even make a splitter like that.

Well only being 5'7" 150lbs (170cm/68Kg for you nonmurkan folk) I dont have much in reserve. I have to work smart to not kill myself. My right wrist started hurting a couple weeks ago also so now I can barely pick logs up off the ground. It only hurts when I pick up heavy stuff. It doesn't hurt to run the saw for some reason. I never really had the desire to own a splitter till now though. Before I would haul logs home and split them whenever I got to them, but if I had a splitter I could scrounge a 1/4 bedfull and split them on site before I load them on the truck then when I get home they get stacked right out of the truck and dont need touched again till its time to throw them in the stove. Ssooo...another question...It would be cool to have a hitch mounted splitter kind of like the 3 point splitters that go on tractors but on a pickup truck, then have it be powered by the truck instead of a garbage little gas motor. My truck is a 2014 F-250SD w/6.7L diesel. I think there is a PTO option for my truck, I just wonder if they even make a splitter like that.
you could get a pto driven hydraulic pump and run a normal hydraulic splitter

The dog on the left in pic 9 reminds me of the old Jeep dog.View attachment 626977Do you breed your own dogs.
We have had a good stud or two and an excellent *****. All catahoula, the black mouth curs a friend breeds in Texas.

Another friend breeeds Dogos in Texas and Louisiana. I’m done with breeding.

The biggest reasons most people use the stand alone splitters with a small gas engine are price and availability. If you wanted to build something like you're talking about you could easily have double or more into it verses the standard 20ish ton splitter. I believe the PTO pump alone could cost as much as a good used splitter. Cool idea but not cheap and people love affordability

.It would be cool to have a hitch mounted splitter kind of like the 3 point splitters that go on tractors but on a pickup truck, then have it be powered by the truck instead of a garbage little gas motor.
Spend the money to buy one with a better quality, medium sized, gas motor?

If you wanted to build something like you're talking about you could easily have double or more into it verses the standard 20ish ton splitter.

Interesting thought, but you could be limited where you use it, as well as tying up your truck for the whole time. I guess it depends on how/where you plan to use it.

JMHO

Philbert

Back