Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Climbing goes against a lot of your natural instincts. Like you have to keep your butt out away from the tree. If you try to hug it and get your knees too close, it changes the angles of your gaffs and they will kick out and then you get bark rub all down your chest, arms and face. Be careful, climbing is more addictive than CAD. Once you get it in your blood, your hooked forever, Joe.

No risk of that ever happening to me.
I have always been so terrified of heights even a ladder is enough to make me think twice. With age and concussions it has actually got worse.
If I really need a rope tied to a tree I either dragoon somebody into helping me or out comes the most dangerous implement ever devised by man, the Tyrolean ladder (in the US it probably means something else, most likely some weird sexual fetish). Yes, I should really get a three-footed ladder, but that's good money and the death-ladder was free.
Hey, I wouldn't be scrounging and splitting oddly shaped oak if I weren't tight. :)

Anyone else dream about scrounging? I had a dream last night that while driving down the road I came across a wood lot that was bulldozed, I stopped to ask about the wood and they said take it. Crazy.....
Don't think I ever dreamed of coming across a wood pile but if i did it would probably end like my dreams of a beautiful girl..... just when I get near her I wake up. Lol

No risk of that ever happening to me.
I have always been so terrified of heights even a ladder is enough to make me think twice. With age and concussions it has actually got worse.
If I really need a rope tied to a tree I either dragoon somebody into helping me or out comes the most dangerous implement ever devised by man, the Tyrolean ladder (in the US it probably means something else, most likely some weird sexual fetish). Yes, I should really get a three-footed ladder, but that's good money and the death-ladder was free.
Hey, I wouldn't be scrounging and splitting oddly shaped oak if I weren't tight. :)
20180224_133738.jpgExtendable pole clip/saw works great for getting a rope in the tree if you don' like leaving the ground.

View attachment 635420 View attachment 635421 Couldn't stay out of the wood pile with a new saw on the bench. Maid some ash cookies then proceeded to run the tank out cutting anything that was to long to length. Little saw is loud I wasn' expecting that.
I like hash cookies...lol (that's how my buddy from the Rock(Newfoundland) says it).
Looks like you noodled something too?

It’s probably going to be my one tool does everything that doesn’t go to the splitter. If it doesn’t crack apart with the x27, it goes to the side for when I pull the splitter out.

I must admit a lot of my rejects goes diret to the splitter or noodle piles vice picking up the maul or wedge/sledge.

64C19987-F09A-4CCA-A660-8EBB8A484A61.jpeg EF36FDF3-26BA-4945-8766-D5EB712B7A51.jpeg Spent a little more time with the fiskars today. The done been split pile is growing while the ain’t been split pile shrinks.
Finally put my cutting board into service. I cut it with the chainsaw, ran it through father in laws planer and gave a light sand. Been rubbing it weekly with linseed oil for a while now to the point where it’s not soaking in anymore.

No new scrounged wood for me today , had to work on the scrounge pile lol

mgROXq7r.jpg

atWCa8y.jpg

so i finally got the phone call from my tree surgeon buddy.....off i go to the scrounge pile and...
25592354887_804db38fea_h.jpg

ahhhh :)

ten minutes later

38653060240_04b37e9120_h.jpg

that made exactly one car load
40419679022_4e39777cec_c.jpg

it wasn't Spruce, but it is all Oak. All limb wood so a fair bit of saw work needed.....what a shame ;):chainsaw:

Best thing, being winter felled, and I guess being limb wood is part of it....its super dry! It was only felled yesterday but my oh my, its dry. I had to pinch myself, and do the sniff test on it, as it was so light it stunned me an made me think I was grabbing the wrong stuff from the pile for a moment. That stuff will be dry for next year I'm sure.

I'm told the rest of the tree, described as 'A large Oak' is coming down next week.... :dancing:

Thanks, Skoda Octavia vRS. 2 litre 4 pot with turbo delivering 220ps, yet a big boot and space for plenty of wood, probably 2/3rds of a cube this time as its lots of odd shaped limb wood. When i filled it with oak trunk rounds back in December, so that the mud flaps were grounding (oops) I got maybe 0.85m3 (once CSS) in. There is wood in the front passenger footwell and on the front passenger seat of course.

Back