Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked out on the fiskars machine today at my gym. About a half hour whomping away at dead standing elm and some ash. I seriously thought about dragging out the splitter but it started snowing and if I pull the splitter out, Murphy’s law will bring 2 ft of the white stuff!

Got more of that oak split up by hand today. Practiced bore cutting for my next tree take down. Was going to clean out behind the clutch on my 590. Well, I did but when I put it all back together the E clip went flying.

c2d7ac6391a10c8f8580053be70d8677.jpg

I looked and looked and looked and got tired of looking so I ordered one on eBay. Figured while my saw was down for a little while I would finally pull the muffler and do a minimal mod right now and work my way to my liking. Right now just drilled 2 holes in the tube to try and open up a little bit then I’ll work my way to more extreme as I go. Don’t want it ear splitting loud, but do want it to breath better.
Anywho. Got back to splitting and I probably got 1/3 of it split by hand today and then pulled my car out to get supper. Low and behold I found the E clip and got it all back together. Going to try and put her in some wood in a few days and tune and run the two drilled holes for a while before I change.
All in all a good day.
80b15c53dddd886cfed4feec9bf17d16.jpg

Oh also his came flying out of one of the pieces I split today. Not sure what type of bug it turns into lol. It was in red oak if that helps.

6375094d8fdd42d4df16559b9f8a1423.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The clip to hold the clutch drum on my 590 disappeared went fly the first time it took it off also. I found one that fit in the garage. Also if your not going to have your 590 ported the tube and baffle in the muff are not a restriction. Just taking the piece out of the deflector shows a 50% gain in flow on a flow bench. Drilling holes or cutting the tube out on a stock saw will just make more noise.

The clip to hold the clutch drum on my 590 disappeared went fly the first time it took it off also. I found one that fit in the garage. Also if your not going to have your 590 ported the tube and baffle in the muff are not a restriction. Just taking the piece out of the deflector shows a 50% gain in flow on a flow bench. Drilling holes or cutting the tube out on a stock saw will just make more noise.

Thanks glad I just drilled 2 small holes for now. I’ll cut that piece out of the deflector and call it a day on the muffler.

Thanks glad I just drilled 2 small holes for now. I’ll cut that piece out of the deflector and call it a day on the muffler.

I've posted pics of how the one on my ported saw is done. I'l put one up tomorrow if you want to see it. The tube is still intact all the mods are internal it' louder then stock but not ear bleeding like the guys that just cut the tube out.

I've posted pics of how the one on my ported saw is done. I'l put one up tomorrow if you want to see it. The tube is still intact all the mods are internal it' louder then stock but not ear bleeding like the guys that just cut the tube out.

That would be great if you don’t mind. Tried looking through your posts but not sure how far back to look

Now you know why I try and stay "Saw and firewood" active every weekend so that that "Chainsaw" muscles stay fit during the slow season for when I get a call to clear a house lot lol
BTW , that first lot job of the season always sucks ...

That is my usual winter occupation, stack rounds to manually split all winter. Still hve about a cord left to do. This year the winter was very mild but conditions (wind mostly) kept me in hte house way too many days.

Got more of that oak split up by hand today. Practiced bore cutting for my next tree take down. Was going to clean out behind the clutch on my 590. Well, I did but when I put it all back together the E clip went flying.

c2d7ac6391a10c8f8580053be70d8677.jpg

I looked and looked and looked and got tired of looking so I ordered one on eBay. Figured while my saw was down for a little while I would finally pull the muffler and do a minimal mod right now and work my way to my liking. Right now just drilled 2 holes in the tube to try and open up a little bit then I’ll work my way to more extreme as I go. Don’t want it ear splitting loud, but do want it to breath better.o

Ah, that elusive clip, AKA 'Jesus clip', as in "Jesus where did that thing go? Happened to me once so next time at dealers I bought half a dozen, put in tool box, took tray out to get at the chains, stepped on tray. "Jesus, where did all those go?". Bought another half dozen

That looks like what we called a 'pine bark beetle' grub. Hatches into on big, very nasty looking bug.

Oh also his came flying out of one of the pieces I split today. Not sure what type of bug it turns into lol. It was in red oak if that helps.

6375094d8fdd42d4df16559b9f8a1423.jpg

If it were around here I'd say one of the several species of (autoctonous) Longhorn beetle. People used to kill them because they believed they killed oaks by boring through them but turns up like woodpeckers (which love snacking on their larvae) they are only attracted to dead and dying tree branches. Apparently it's too much work for them to bore through and kill healthy trees.

Probably shouldn't tell you guys this, but I passed on two 24+ inch dead Oaks that blew down in the wind last week. It's a newer neighbor I hadn't met yet, he came up yesterday and told me I could have them. Only thing is, my other neighbor had already told me about them going down, and he was going to ask if he could get them. If Gordon can't get them because he just had major surgery on a knee, ripped the muscle off the bone. They had to drill holes in the bone and put in artificial tendons and stuff. I'll offer to haul it over to Gordon's.

I cut a big oak last fall that was full of those grubs as well. From my research it was tough to tell what kind of beetle it is because so many of them look alike in the larvae stages. They kind of freak you out the first time they start pouring out as the pictures don't do the size any justice. But I will say the chickens really loved them. Could not keep them away from the pile or splitter.

I cut a big oak last fall that was full of those grubs as well. From my research it was tough to tell what kind of beetle it is because so many of them look alike in the larvae stages. They kind of freak you out the first time they start pouring out as the pictures don't do the size any justice. But I will say the chickens really loved them. Could not keep them away from the pile or splitter.

Agreed kinda freaked me out at first. I’ve seen grubs in the ground and this thing was like 4-5 times the size at least. It was the biggest I’ve seen.

20180313_100702.jpg all factory here20180313_100717.jpg on either side of the tube there's 3 small holes in the plate. On mine there ground out to about 3/4" tall by 1/2" wide on either side. If I found a second muffler cheap I might try the eardesplitterloudenboomer mod just to see what all the fuss is about but the saw runs good the way it sits and doesn' piss off the neighbors for miles around.

Back