Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
812C69BD-F1FA-455B-807B-08A208F8F0E9.jpeg Finally made my version of a poor mans log marker. Came across a fairly powerful pot magnet with a thread in it. Tacked a welding rod to the bolt and tied a strip at 16” where I prefer to cut. Not sure what kind of steel Stihl bars are made of but it’s not as magnetic as regular mild steel. Magnet sticks ok but not like it does on other things. Anyways, I plan on trying it out this weekend.

woodchip, what is your definition of "big" thorns? Osage orange would have thorns, but they shouldn't be as large as on honey locust. I really haven't dealt with Osage orange for many, many years.
Big. As big as I have ever seen. Some 6". I looked up Honey Locust. Thats it. And from what I read this is a pretty big one. I guess this isnt really a big breed of tree so 20" at the base is big for a honey locust. But its gonna be some serious work getting it out. Seems how its heavily armed.

What’s everyone using for hydraulic splitters? I was perusing the weekly flyers and saw a 22 ton SpeeCo/Huskee for a decent price. Don’t really have the money for it but a man can dream.
Hey Jeff :).
The early speeco/husky 22 ton was a great unit, I've split a lot of wood with many different ones. The combo of pumpkin size and cylinder size gives it a faster cycle on the normal wood than a 25-28 ton from most the other manufactures.
Since I see your handy at welding(trailer, measuring stick) I have picture saved of some mods that could be done to the front leg as it's a poor design (but it does work) and for someone with a bit of fab skills it would be easy to fix.
Let me know it you grab one up.
One weak spot on the older ones is the gusset that supports the engine on the hydraulic tank will crack and leak a bit(usually from flying down dirt roads/trails or driving down the rd with them. That can be fixed easily with a welder, but it's an indicator of how the unit was used. I put them on a trailer if I'm going any distance with them myself, but one day would like one with 4/5 lug hub assemblies.
Send pictures, we like pictures :D.

That makes more sense. And also explains why guys buy whole lots of dead saws in that state.
When selling new saws and servicing them is your game, selling saws that need a little work may or may not be your game. It might not be conducive to bringing in more profits from sales if other locals are buying and selling in your vicinity.

Click the thumbnail? Anyway, free is the BEST type of wood:)

Elm and Mulberry, I'll do some Googling. Thanks!!!
I've never had any elm for firewood but mulberry makes excellent fire wood. Your thumb nails don't get any bigger when clicked on. Unless the stuff in your pic has been cut for awhile it's not mulberry fresh cut mulberry is almost highlighter yellow.

20180314_094237.jpg This tree supports one end of some of my racks. It decided to die last year. I' thinking it will become the first victim of my climbing gear as I want to leave the part supporting the rack standing. 20180314_094306.jpg iv been told it' locust by one person and maple by another either way it' firewood.

Back