Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor is thinking of selling his 28 Mako, twin 200 Mercs. He paid 96K wants 40K.
I couldn’t afford the fuel for that!
I’m thinking 18-20’ Starcraft. I live 15 minutes from Georgian Bay in Ontario. While Georgian bay is quite large and can get rough out in open water, there are smaller bays and sounds protected from the wind by land. Anyways I caught the salmon fishing bug last year and hope to get out more this year. I think no matter how much free wood I get this year, a boat might be a couple years away.

My neighbor has always been a wanna b fisherman. He had a nice smaller boat for fishing the Chesapeake, 24-25 feet, and used it quite a bit, Then he went and bought this bigger boat, and a big diesel Ram to pull it. Now he can't afford to put it in the water. He's been raising his two grand kids. He hasn't had it in the water for six years. He takes it in and has it serviced, and there it sits. I'd buy it but he didn't get radar and the off shore electronics I would need. If he had of got that stuff when he bought it it wouldn't have changed his payment $10 a month. To put it in now would probably be $10,000. When we got out for Tuna and stuff we go 70 miles out. When we're doing tournaments we run a 4 man crew so course plotters and auto pilot are like haveing a 5th crew member. Hurts my heart to see that boat sitting.

My back is still hurting pretty bad. I was getting dressed to run to the store and get some soup fixings for my wife. She said I should stretch out on the floor and see if that helped the back, cause I was moving too slow, so she went to the store. I put a pair of slip on loafers on and pulled the truck around to the shed to put the saws away. When I picked up the 1050 I just couldn't put it in the shed without seeing if it would start. So, I put a shot of mix in the carb and gave it a pull. First pull it fired and man does it sound good. Then, since it fired right off, and the 150 Automatic came from the same pile of saws, I put a shot of mix in it's carb, put the choke on, pulled 4 times, nothing. Took the choke off and pulled 3 time, and it fired up and ran for about 10 seconds, sounds good. I guess I won't part it out for my other 150, just use as is. I'm a happy camper. Now, if my back would quite hurtin.

0A162514-3FC8-40F3-B94C-E330ACFEC074.jpeg No snow at my place so imagine my confusion when I get an invite to go snowmobile today. Turns out they got a 20” snow up on the mountain about 40 minutes from here. So we trailer over this morning and rode for half the day. 6 degrees C with jackets open and visor up. Sure was a pretty day but that’s likely it for the season. Oh well, my scrounge pile awaits plus I still have a load of maple to pick up this week.

Those old homelites have a unique sound. I’d like to run a big one. Largest I ever see around here are the xl’s
SVK is playing with one of my old XL's. I hope it brings a smile to his face. Then he can start on my old Super 1050 Automatic, that would make my Dad smile, he bought it new in the early 70's. I'd buy every complete 1050 I saw, that is my all time favorite saw. Some day I may find a 2100, that'll make me giggle like a little school girl. Yesterday I was talking to an old tree guy that was just getting started when my Dad was getting ready to retire. He had an 1130G, that one would make me giggle too.

rarefish383, I went to an auction too. My wife's birthday is coming up quick and I have a hard time deciding what to get her. Got a good deal so I bought 2. She is gonna be sooo happy. I also bought a heated water bowl for a friend's house warming gift. He's a cow farmer.
IMG_20180316_114346.jpg

Todays scrounge is this 24" x 8' 6" oak,

standard.jpg

I loaded it with my tractor and my wife pulled it home with the Kubota,

standard.jpg

My buddy want's to put it on the BSM, so that's a "maybe"... lol

SR

Big sky here today !

Is5K7M6.jpg

20F so not much melting today , only where the sun warms up exposed rocks or dirt .
I headed to an old side trail to start clearing some leaners

vzgRCEW.jpg

But , was delayed for a bit when I got there ...

ekmf5Zz.jpg

It seems his fuel pump quit last night so today they brought some stuff

567bdQp.jpg

Of course they were broke down right where I was going to start so I got to the leaners after they left

JDDTNqa.jpg

nbGamzt.jpg

That was a clump of 5 maple that I had to get first to get to clump of 7

AFnGlee.jpg

Nothing bigger than 10" at the butt but they're long , straight and mine lol
There's at least another dozen trees to come out of there within a 50' radius and more as we travel this old logging road .

Even made a Zoggerwood pile lol

YL5q1as.jpg

Went over to cut on the big red oaks. Noodled the "grid cuts" then went to put on the 32 for the crosscut and realized I left it at the house. Went through 2 chains and 3 tanks of fuel and didnt bring home a single piece of wood. Weather looks good tomorow so I cleaned up the 20's and put the 32 on, gassed, oiled and ready to go. Show up, crosscut, load. Grid cut again.

SVK is playing with one of my old XL's. I hope it brings a smile to his face. Then he can start on my old Super 1050 Automatic, that would make my Dad smile, he bought it new in the early 70's. I'd buy every complete 1050 I saw, that is my all time favorite saw. Some day I may find a 2100, that'll make me giggle like a little school girl. Yesterday I was talking to an old tree guy that was just getting started when my Dad was getting ready to retire. He had an 1130G, that one would make me giggle too.
I have the two non blue module SXL saws off to the side. The points saw just needs a carb kit and the points were crusty. The black module saw is stuck so that ignition will be going on the better of the two blue module saws. And I have another blue module saw at my cabin that has a great paint on the recoil and clutch cover up donate to the cause. So basically five dead saws will turn into two runners.

The bigger XL needs some tlc but that will run too.

Can’t wait to get the 1050 going though. I’m almost afraid to do the work myself though cause it’s a pretty expensive saw.

I scrounged up this load last Sat...

standard.jpg

and today it was time to split it, so I got my splitter tractor in place and got started by splitting all the easier ones and ripping the biggest ones,

standard.jpg

The old 268xp got a work out,

standard.jpg

And S :) :) N I had a nice pile of oak splits,

standard.jpg

SR
Looks good Rob.
Nice weather for it if you don't get stuck.

rarefish383, I went to an auction too. My wife's birthday is coming up quick and I have a hard time deciding what to get her. Got a good deal so I bought 2. She is gonna be sooo happy. I also bought a heated water bowl for a friend's house warming gift. He's a cow farmer.
View attachment 640324
That's not fair, I don't think anything at my sale had paint applied this century. I had the three saws by noon, then sat almost 5 hours for the ax.

Back