Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after a couple weeks of temps swing from mid 30 to mid 70, looks like I will have to build a fire tonite. Suppose to get down to 26f tonite. Had a good snow storm this morning, looked like a mini blizzard for about 5 min. Wind blowing side ways. Supposed to get up to nearly 70 tomorrow. I'm confused, what month is it.

View attachment 646963 Friday scrounge and the city tree dump, nice sunny day. The first photos is the back of the pile I was pulling from. I need to call the city and ask if they can pull the pile apart. Its too dangerous to try to cut cause its all tangled up in the pile.
The next image is a small stack of the wood. Can anyone ID what it is? I split some of it and it split really easy even though it is still green and wet.
View attachment 646964
The final image is the truck loaded. The wood went to my BIL's garage down the street to season.
View attachment 646965
Looks like Cherry. Nice scrounge!

Went out yesterday with a couple of mates for a 6pk run (ended up being a carton run) anyway we found some great spots with yellow box and red gum - we nicknamed it the “gold mine” - we will get out with the utes and saws and get stuck in. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 646999 I feel like I should be done with fires for the year but winter just won' go away.
I've put this up a few places but this is the firewood thread and I was helping do firewood for people in need so I'll put it here to.

Very impressive that they do that James, good on em, my mates and I help a few different people out around our town who can't get out and get wood themselves anymore, I don't mind doing it one bit, only too happy to help if I'm well enough to do so.

Very impressive that they do that James, good on em, my mates and I help a few different people out around our town who can't get out and get wood themselves anymore, I don't mind doing it one bit, only too happy to help if I'm well enough to do so.
I had a good time. They weren't expecting the kind of response they got from the forums. Also got to run my Del eaves ported 590 beside a red97 590 and compare. I plan on going again when they have another one later this year.
What brands the wood heater James? interesting idea loading it from the top.
Vermont castings it's at least 20 years old. I like the option to load from the top.

Spring is springing! we've had a coupe of days of 17-18C, no rain for 3 days, sunshine in spells, and its forecast to get warmer day by day to 24-25C by Thursday/Friday, yippee!

25C here Neil ,,,,
That spruce in the furnace makes it just like summer in the house lol

25C here Neil ,,,,
That spruce in the furnace makes it just like summer in the house lol
SPRUCE ! not only for heating.
57ecb489-b930-46c0-9548-171bf80009d2_wild-mushroom-fettucini-spruce-tip-pesto_WebReady.jpg

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/wild-mushroom-fettuccini-with-spruce-tip-pesto/19826/

Spacer block for the foot of the splitter. It will do a 26" log. Mine are cut to 18". The block makes the gap 20". I cant use the "auto-return" feature cuz it makes too big of a gap after it returns all the way. If I stop it manually then I have to leave my hand on the lever then stop it instead of letting it return on its own while I'm shifting wood around. Its not all the way done. It needs some brackets to keep it put, but its a start.

Attachments

• 20180417_204243.jpg
    20180417_204243.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180417_204254.jpg
    20180417_204254.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back