Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spacer block for the foot of the splitter. It will do a 26" log. Mine are cut to 18". The block makes the gap 20". I cant use the "auto-return" feature cuz it makes too big of a gap after it returns all the way. If I stop it manually then I have to leave my hand on the lever then stop it instead of letting it return on its own while I'm shifting wood around. Its not all the way done. It needs some brackets to keep it put, but its a start.
We use a piece of aluminum angle between the wedge and cylinder. Doing it that way I press the button to bring it down to split let go it returns till the spacer stops it. I'll get a pic in the morning. With this setup I have both hands free to move splits or another round into place.

I decided to make a Pickaroon/Hookaroon - I used an old tomahawk head I had laying around and got to work on it with the angle grinder and belt sander, I also had an old axe handle laying around so got to reshaping that to fit the head.

She works a treat and should save the old back a lot of unnecessary bending which is fine by me!:laugh:

NQBh8b6l.jpg

repxdZDl.jpg

Spacer block for the foot of the splitter. It will do a 26" log. Mine are cut to 18". The block makes the gap 20". I cant use the "auto-return" feature cuz it makes too big of a gap after it returns all the way. If I stop it manually then I have to leave my hand on the lever then stop it instead of letting it return on its own while I'm shifting wood around. Its not all the way done. It needs some brackets to keep it put, but its a start.
I saw someone split a heavy piece of heater hose and put it around the cylinder shaft and fasten it with hose clamps. That put enough resistance on the valve and it kicked off. I think I posted it here and was told it might not be good for the hydraulics, so I didn't try it, Joe.

We use a piece of aluminum angle between the wedge and cylinder. Doing it that way I press the button to bring it down to split let go it returns till the spacer stops it. I'll get a pic in the morning. With this setup I have both hands free to move splits or another round into place.
I thought about that but then the cylinder stops before it gets to the pusher brackets that push a stuck log off the wedge.

The only thing you'd have to worry about with a piece of angle iron is how it contacts the cylinder. You don't want it touching the seal or area that supports the seal. I repaired a bunch of them on hydraulic plow setups for smaller equip. We also used rubber stops or spacers.

I saw someone split a heavy piece of heater hose and put it around the cylinder shaft and fasten it with hose clamps. That put enough resistance on the valve and it kicked off. I think I posted it here and was told it might not be good for the hydraulics, so I didn't try it, Joe.

Parts houses have "stroke limiters" - spring loaded aluminum blocks that clip over the shaft. I used them but quite, they were causing the bolt halding the push plate on the shaft to break. Broke and bent several of them.

Anyone want a cheap, new Cannon 18" supermini 3/8LP picco C1 (k095+3005) mount bar? Left over from my 241 days. I think the shipping to USA is about $25, a bit cheaper to Oz. PM me if so. I think there's a .325 pitch spare nose for it too if you run that instead of 3/8LP.
I'll take it, joking :laugh:.

Went from upper 70s yesterday afternoon to 30s this am, and now about 40 and raining, just miserable! Would rather have 20s and snow!
I agree Mike.
Funny how everyone who is stuck inside seems to say oh no it's much better at 35 and raining :nofunny:.
Rain is coming tonight as it's warmed up, then it turns to snow again, hard to believe, what month is it lol.

Spruce is wonderful stuff , it kept scurvy away for the native for a millennia and kept the early explorers warm and healthy .
Heck you can even drink you scurvy away :)
One of many for example
http://beermebc.com/2016/07/06/wheelhouse-brewing-company-scurvy-dog-spruce-ale/

https://www.google.com/search?ei=MM.......0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.iPD7TMuSKWI

https://www.nutriplanet.org/2014/05/5-reasons-to-eat-spruce-tips-8-ways-to-use-them/
all in for the scurvy prevention. scroungers need to stay on top of this stuff. :cheers:

Back