Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 2010/11 I had cleaned up a property for a fella about an hour from home , I only remember 2 types of trees on his property , oak and pine .

His name is Richard but he's known as "Di ck" , or "King Di ck" by the people that I know that know him as well lol
I remember when I broke my tib/fib , him calling me when I was in the hospital looking at my foot waiting for another surgery while the meds were out of their goodness and listening to him whine about how long I'd be outta commission and who would he call to get his treework done ... See "King Di ck"
Today , outta the blue , he sends me a text , wants to know if I have my chipper and that I was able to clear up some stuff for him , no "Long time no talk , how you been ? Still in the biz?" , see a "King Di ck" .
I'll go up and see "King Di ck" this weekend , if there's oak in it for me , I'll think about it , even if so the price will be much higher than 2011 prices , if "King Di ck" doesn't like it , I'll give hive a couple of numbers for guys in the biz lol

Hope your leg is feeling better Dan, if not some :envy::envy::envy: may help it out a little lol

View attachment 647547 just ordered 1 of the first batch to arrive in the country and wow am I impressed with the demo model with a 20"
I lost you address to send the check:envy::envy::envy::envy::lol:.
Can't wait to here more and to run one myself.
Have you ran the 572 yet.

I lost you address to send the check:envy::envy::envy::envy::lol:.
Can't wait to here more and to run one myself.
Have you ran the 572 yet.
went to have a look-see and it was out on demo at the time but will definitely have a look, disaster when I have to wait a while yet before I can get it yet as it's on order

The pile looks like it would come apart fairly easily. My truck carries some 300' of assorted chains, cables, snatch blocks. and log tongs for jsut such occasions. It is amazing what even a 2x 1/2 ton pickup can do.

I thought about that. I have a chain and a strap in the truck. The local fire/rescue was there training for water rescue in the river next to the pile. I didn't want to start pulling out logs and accidentally block in an emergency vehicle should a call come. After they left I was starting to get tired from cutting and moving what I could and didn't want to do anything stupid.

went to have a look-see and it was out on demo at the time but will definitely have a look, disaster when I have to wait a while yet before I can get it yet as it's on order
I hear that, like a kid on Christmas morning lol.
not sure if I posted it in here or not, but a good friend allowed me the privilege to run his new 572xpg about a month ago :happybanana:.
The others are mine, 576 beside it, purty 372 oe, beat up 372oe, then a ported 372XT.
IMG_20180324_140942294.jpg IMG_20180324_141004214.jpg IMG_20180324_141042964.jpg

Hope your leg is feeling better Dan, if not some :envy::envy::envy: may help it out a little lol

Like I've said before , I'll always tell them how bad it is , not how good it is lol
You can never prove it was me holding a saw or cut any of the wood that I've put pictures up , you know it's the internet and photoshop and all ... ;)
Having said that , pain meds are now just a normal thing for me to keep things going , some days are better than others but I know with certainty that if it wasn't for all the scrounging I've done and the lot clearing challenges I wouldn't have the mobility I have now .
The guy that did my physio would shake his head when I showed him pics of what I "didn't" do when the surgeon took off all restrictions lol

View attachment 647547 just ordered 1 of the first batch to arrive in the country and wow am I impressed with the demo model with a 20"

Congrats !!!
How did you make out on that haunted lot clearing job ?

Give him my number, I'll come up and give him an estimate that will have him ripping your door down.:)

I thot about it a bit more today , so , I called one of my shop customers , Jeff , that has started a new tree biz , he's a good fella , he knows how I work and I know how he does so I talked to him about the lay of the land and what that lot usually entailed , I got the $ figure for what he needs for a day rate .
When I go see King Di ck , the price will be set , I'd like to get the job , I'm broke and could use all the money but I can scrape up a buck more ways than one , Jeff is broke , needs the work and that's the work he does and I don't want to see him fail .
If there's fuel money and firewood in it for me , I'll be happy , even if it's that smelly old shmoak lol

Would you charge for a job to cut black
Locust? Less than a mile from home and guy wants to get them out.Only pics he sent are below. Supposed to go check it out later in the week. We have so many blow downs from the winter nor'easters, I can be picky. Free wood is good wood, but trying to be logical with operating cost and time commitment. I do a little firewood on the side, teacher by career and locust would fetch higher $ per cord.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 26
Locust? Less than a mile from home and guy wants to get them out.Only pics he sent are below. Supposed to go check it out later in the week. We have so many blow downs from the winter nor'easters, I can be picky. Free wood is good wood, but trying to be logical with operating cost and time commitment. I do a little firewood on the side, teacher by career and locust would fetch higher $ per cord.....
It depends on a lot of things for me.
I have enough wood for many yrs so I'm not actively looking for more wood or to use my equipment to do anything for free. But if it's a friend/someone who needs a hand up, or you plan on selling it(which it sounds like you do)then it seems to be a great gig. One of my favorite woods to work into firewood as well as to burn. A nice befit of black locust is that it will be ready to burn/sell this fall if it is already dead and you get it split up within the next month and maybe earlier depending on if it's still standing/leaning or on the ground.
Another thing to take into consideration is that there are probably quite a few leaning/storm damage which can be much more dangerous than live trees that are still standing.
If they are easy to get to/and out, and you can do it safely, with them being that close to the house I and your selling the wood that's a free that isn't bad. If the guy wants them out now and is willing to pay, I wouldn't be against that either if I could work it into the schedule. Just remember there may be a neighbor who sees you start cutting and says to the owner I'd like to have that wood.

Gave a couple of my Dr Al saws a little workout today (026 + 360). First cutting after this Tax Season! Dropped one medium size Red Maple, and a bunch of small stuff, mostly Cherry. A million vines, very annoying.

I tried to post the pics, but this site says they are too big!!! Funny, I was able to post em on another site!

My brother has a MS460 and a MS 241.

Hey, we all know that Husky's fall over on their side if you let em idle, but how did the 572 run?
Nice 1, 3 combo, now he just needs the 2 and the 4 :D.
Just gotta have the right dawgs on them, but yes they can be a bit lazy :laugh:, but don't say anything bad about them, you know I won't be able to handle it:laughing:.
Ran great, can't wait to run it when it's broke in.
Felt a bit heavy, but it had the best handling of any saw that size I've ran.

Back in 2010/11 I had cleaned up a property for a fella about an hour from home , I only remember 2 types of trees on his property , oak and pine .

His name is Richard but he's known as "Di ck" , or "King Di ck" by the people that I know that know him as well lol
I remember when I broke my tib/fib , him calling me when I was in the hospital looking at my foot waiting for another surgery while the meds were out of their goodness and listening to him whine about how long I'd be outta commission and who would he call to get his treework done ... See "King Di ck"
Today , outta the blue , he sends me a text , wants to know if I have my chipper and that I was able to clear up some stuff for him , no "Long time no talk , how you been ? Still in the biz?" , see a "King Di ck" .
I'll go up and see "King Di ck" this weekend , if there's oak in it for me , I'll think about it , even if so the price will be much higher than 2011 prices , if "King Di ck" doesn't like it , I'll give hive a couple of numbers for guys in the biz lol

Well it was a bit thoughtless of you to break your leg when he needed you do cut trees for him :rare2:.

Of all the wood that you cut roughly what proportions or volumes do you burn/sell/give away?

Like I've said before , I'll always tell them how bad it is , not how good it is lol
You can never prove it was me holding a saw or cut any of the wood that I've put pictures up , you know it's the internet and photoshop and all ... ;)
Having said that , pain meds are now just a normal thing for me to keep things going , some days are better than others but I know with certainty that if it wasn't for all the scrounging I've done and the lot clearing challenges I wouldn't have the mobility I have now .
The guy that did my physio would shake his head when I showed him pics of what I "didn't" do when the surgeon took off all restrictions lol

Congrats !!!
How did you make out on that haunted lot clearing job ?

I thot about it a bit more today , so , I called one of my shop customers , Jeff , that has started a new tree biz , he's a good fella , he knows how I work and I know how he does so I talked to him about the lay of the land and what that lot usually entailed , I got the $ figure for what he needs for a day rate .
When I go see King Di ck , the price will be set , I'd like to get the job , I'm broke and could use all the money but I can scrape up a buck more ways than one , Jeff is broke , needs the work and that's the work he does and I don't want to see him fail .
If there's fuel money and firewood in it for me , I'll be happy , even if it's that smelly old shmoak lol
didn't start it yet, it's been the longest winter in on record for the last 70 years, it has rained so much that ground conditions are just awful. It will take at least a month or so of dry weather before I'll go near it, at least Ill get to run my new 462 in some dry hard wood when it arrives

Since I'm retired from doing tree work, I look at things a little different from most scroungers. I don't do hard work for free. After I retired from tree work I worked at UPS. I moved the trailers around the yard, which was really easy work, and I made $35 an hour, with 15-20 hours a week overtime, at $52.50. So, I would charge at least what I make at my real job's time and a half rate. I do cut wood free on a couple friends farms, but it's in the woods and I have no clean up, and they have front end loaders and load the wood for me. They also let me hunt the farms, and with hunting property at such a premium around here, it would cost me at least $1500 a year to buy into a lease. Doc's farm is also old enough that she replaces about 100 Oak fence boards a year. She lets me have all of the old boards, which I make Bluebird houses and squirrel feeders out of. I get $40 per house and $25 to $100 for my feeders, so nothing is really free.
hX90gDf.jpg

IzYzyen.jpg

gThCgFY.jpg

We've had a sad week. The Cowcat started picking at her food a couple of days last week then abruptly stopped eating and drinking on Thursday. Blood tests showed some elevation in liver enzymes which may or may not have been significant. A couple of teeth were bad also, may have been the reason for not wanting to eat. By review on Saturday she was very quiet and her gums and inside her ears were jaundiced. Liver cancer. The vet gave her a shot of dexamethasone which perked her up and alleviated most of her pain but it was only a patch-up. We had five good days with her at home where she was almost her normal self. We spoiled her with tuna, roast chicken and thin slices of raw steak and lots of love and affection. It also gave us the opportunity to explain to the kids what was happening in advance and they have learned some important lessons about life. The vet came around yesterday and we put her down peacefully on the kitchen bench.

View attachment 647471

:heart:
sorry about Cowcat. :( they leave a mark in our memories forever.

Back