Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bc0217edc1b6a496d24ce79e4b0d47a3.jpg
8a2d03b453b80e3fe31ce43bad7b91da.jpg
Went back for more Cherry today at my Dads house. It’s a monster of a tree that branches out to 5 separate trunks about 7 feet up. Real fun to drop these off the tail gate of my truck. My Stihl MS211 let me down today. Flooded and never recovered. Also, was leaking bar oil but it could’ve been because I was using winter blend which is a little thinner. And wouldn’t you know it, I didn’t bring a back-up saw. Had to use my old mans Craftsman 42cc with 18” bar. Oh well, hauled another truck load home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:laughing:

Let me just make sure that I understand you correctly......
The top dollar (for its class) saw didn't run, but the Poulan (branded as Craftsman) that some people here like to bash not only started and ran, but got the job done.
:ices_rofl:

Let me just make sure that I understand you correctly......
The top dollar (for its class) saw didn't run, but the Poulan (branded as Craftsman) that some people here like to bash not only started and ran, but got the job done.
:ices_rofl:

Yeah, a little frustrating. I’m not a big fan of the new M-Tronic carbs.

MS211 won't be Mtronic, and most of these newer homeowner saws, you need to fix what the EPA "fixed" before they run worth a damn.

This is true. I have modded all of my vintage saws in one way or another but the 211 being a new saw purchase, did not want to void the warranty

I remember using the egg beater drill, and the brace for the larger holes. They were my Dad's, don't know what ever happened to them.

He likely chucked them, he had no use for stuff he no longer used.

I still have the brace and have actually used it a time or two. I have an adz that I use for grubbing saplings but that is not what is was made for LOL.

Am going the other way. Mainly to keep it down to one chain type across all saws. Hoping 3/8 might just hold up a little more between sharpenings too, but that would be a bonus. But if the 3/8 cuts like crap on the 261, I'll go back to .325. If 3/8 cuts OK, you are welcome to my lightly used stihl .325 bar for cheep cheep.
Me too, I've been switching all of my 3/8 for .404, I can see the bigger teeth better to sharpen them. I have more saws with 404 than anything else, and when I got the Stihl 08S, and it had .404 on it, I just figured anything can pull .404. I am having trouble getting the links to go around on the little 6" bar, on the electric pole saw, my neighbor gave me. But, where there is a will, there is a way, I'm tryin.

404 on a 6" bar. I need pics.
I want to see pics when there is no bar, just 3/4" chain wrapped around a rim sprocket. It's the ultra reduced weight non-bar option we are all sliding towards whether we realise it or not. No bar oil needed, no dressing of bars or replacing sprocket tips. Who knew we've been doing it wrong all this time.

I want to see pics when there is no bar, just 3/4" chain wrapped around a rim sprocket. It's the ultra reduced weight non-bar option we are all sliding towards whether we realise it or not. No bar oil needed, no dressing of bars or replacing sprocket tips. Who knew we've been doing it wrong all this time.

This is true. I have modded all of my vintage saws in one way or another but the 211 being a new saw purchase, did not want to void the warranty

I did a 211 shortly after I opened up my 171 and with them being the same chassis, I kind of wished I would have spent the extra on the 211. I believe it was an 18" bar, but it comes in .050 gauge so more chain options. They both feel the same as my 170, at least in my hands. My 171 is slowly getting broke in though, cold blooded little thing anyway.

JustJeff, I have that Japa processor that I bought 3 or 4 years ago at Rockford, still sitting on my fenceline. It only needs a days work on it and it would be useable but I have too many things on the go. This time of year is killer for my wife and I. She does lawn sweeping, lawn rolling, some fertilizing, lawn clean ups and cutting starts on top of it all. Not so bad if I have all the equipment ready to go but this year I've been working away every week so no prep work done. I also try to get a bunch of campfire wood ready to keep my son busy too. Then there is the 3 auctions a week that I absolutely have to go too. There is 4 or 5 skids of Stihls at All Star auction on Wednesday but I'm trying to stay away from them, bidding on a bunch of other stuff though.

Yeah, a little frustrating. I’m not a big fan of the new M-Tronic carbs.

I DON'T like the mtronic. My dealer says he sells only the regular carb ones. I'll be talking to him to see if he can change my 441 to regular. Who dreamed up a carb set up that has no fast idle? Makes sstarting warm a crap shoot.

Either that or find someone with a Simington and buy a stihl chisel chain off 'em and compare to my round ground stihl chisel chain to see if I still want a Simington grinder.

Asked over on another forum and have found a good bugger with a Simington 451C willing to grind up a loop of 36RSC for me to compare against my round ground 36RSC. Will take a few weeks but am stoked at the prospect of being able to scratch this itch.

Back