Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrounging firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by mainewoods, Feb 23, 2014.

1. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

That's a bummer Mike.
    Be safe out there.

2. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

Nice work Nate.
    Does it feel any better since you got it tuned up and have run it a bit, how are you liking the chain now.

3. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

That bugs me :baba:.
    It seems if you don't check out a thread your watching when you get an alert then you will not get any more alerts on that thread until you've visited that thread again, then why did I set up for alerts on the thread o_O.

4. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

Howdy James.
    No 460/461's as I've sold them all and haven't replenished the inventory( I really need a new purchasing agent :)), but I have a 440 that will eat either one in stock form :yes:. I also have a good inventory of 7910's.
    Sorry I forgot to attach the pictures Monday, just realized it today, kinda funny I forgot since I took the specifically for you lol.
    This one is the second from the bottom as far as condition goes, the 1st is a work saw and has a lot more hrs on it.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SRfrsz7ABg0UXPy62

Because the wood was wet and they could.
    I set those aside until I have a bunch of them and then bust them open and hit them with the little propane torch :blob2:.

5. James Miller

James Miller Addicted to ArboristSite

I let those ones sit ants up in the snow and they where gone in the morning. I bet the birds enjoyed there snack.

6. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

That's cool. If you have other black ants at the house you can put them on that pile and have ant fights as they will not co-mingle with another colony, ant fight :buttkick:.

7. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

My SIL's White Truck, and another unfortunate vehicle. My SIL's neighborhood was helter skelter!

Attached Files:

8. nighthunter

nighthunter addicted to arboristsite

hope ye're all ok mike, looks like some major cleanup to be done

9. LondonNeil

LondonNeil Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't know what iron wood looks like. AFAIK we don't have it, but it is possible. However I strongly suspect isit just 'one of those trees'....ie I've been and found the exception they proves the rule that locust is easy to split.

I reckon I'll get one in a few years... Maybe when I get older and achy .... Or maybe when I get lazy ;) . I'll keep my eye out for a deal in the mean time.

10. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

I would title that photo 'Ambitious'!

Philbert

11. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Wow!

Hope that you are OK.

A man with a saw could be quite popular in those conditions . . .

Philbert

12. 95custmz

95custmz ArboristSite Guru

If that particular tree was out in the open, it is susceptible to wind shear, thus twisting the grain & making it harder to split.

13. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 Chainsawing meathead

Glad your SIL wasn't in the truck at the time. Looks like a big mess.

At least there will be plenty of scrounge.

14. JustJeff

JustJeff Addicted to ArboristSite

A man with 10 saws could attain Rock Star status!

15. LondonNeil

LondonNeil Addicted to ArboristSite

exactly, - yard tree syndrome, they tend to be on their own more, so shorter and more branched/knotty and twisted. I ONLY get yard trees so i get a lot of syndrome. I do like oak, and (european)sycamore though....they rarely if ever seem affected in my limited experience. Oddly this locust wasn't knotted or twisted, just tough as iron and stringy!

16. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

Many yard trees are full of that too. But not as bad as fenceline trees on farms. Worst I've had though was a very old pine tree growing at the junction of a busy intersection. The town grew around it, fixing every imaginable street sign/notice to it, until it was time to be dropped to make way for further development. The first 8' of the 4' trunk was riddled with nails and bolts. Had to get my Luke Skywalker on with every bucking cut, trying to feel the (nail) force. No point using a metal detector, was too much metal to find a path through it with the detector. Wrapped a few nails around the leading edge of the splitter knife but never found one with the chain. Was a freebie job for the good old duck down the road who paid me in tomato sammies. Good they were too. Not sure I'd want to do it again though.

What' the most interesting or noteworthy thing fellow scroungers have found in their scrounges? How about half an opossum? Ceramic insulators? Neither of which have many BTU's in 'em.

17. dancan

dancan Spruce , The Best from here to the West

Geez Mike , play it sake out there !
    Aren't you glad tax season is over , now your gonna be busy .

18. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

Right now can't tough most of them because they are entangled in electrical wires, but soon!

19. woodchip rookie

woodchip rookie Addicted to ArboristSite

The first big scrounge I had was all Iron Ash.

20. Cody

Cody ArboristSite Guru

Well, both my 261 and 661 manuals list it as Start Position, which does close the choke for cold starts. If you kill the saw and go to restart it when warm, it's supposed to stay in the Run position. Only trouble I ever had was with my 661 when it was stupid hot outside, and that ignition coil, which is also the brain for fuel delivery, was replaced this spring with the newest version.

I want one, but just haven't justified spending the 300 or so on one that is sold locally here. The ones here are nice too, they're on a stand that's pretty tall, versus on the floor. My thoughts though, are that I want one that sits low, because I'd like to find a way to mount it on the wall so I can basically make a table to set up already split logs, and split them smaller for either kindling, or customers who like they're firewood in stick form.

I can't complain too much about the weather here, but it's been pretty poor in parts of the country. You guys out east seem to get hit one after another.