Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are all OK, but an 11 year old girl died when a tree came down on the car she was in, and my wife's friend had a tree go through the roof of her house. There is a State of Emergency, and the Gov and Natl Guard are in the area.

I had just used up all my gas in the riding mower before the storm hit, so I went North on Rte 22 that night for 20 mi before I saw lights and an open gas station (needed it for my HF generator). In several places, Rte 22 only had one lane open, and roads were closed in other directions. I've never seen it so bad around here before.
What do say in a case like yours.....glad everybodies SAFE!
I know ...everytime there is a threat from severe weather... my ahole puckers....lookin around....tryin to figure out what trees might fall into the house or garage.
Your situation you have....I can only imagine....really hope things work out!

I’m ashamed to say that between phone calls and visiting the neighbor I only got this much done this morning.

I used the Husky S2800 to do the big pieces and the X25 for the rest. I’m really taking a liking to the X25. It has much better balance than the S2800 and swings more quickly than the X27.

CC0A9C3C-A043-461B-B405-5C7F39EB97E9.jpeg

{snip}

I had just used up all my gas in the riding mower before the storm hit, so I went North on Rte 22 that night for 20 mi before I saw lights and an open gas station (needed it for my HF generator). In several places, Rte 22 only had one lane open, and roads were closed in other directions. I've never seen it so bad around here before.

Get a propane conversion set-up for your generator and some 40lb propane bottles.
I got mine from here.
https://www.propanecarbs.com/
If I remember correctly, it was something like $150 for the setup (everything you need - hoses, fittings, regulator, etc). It sandwiches between the air filter and the carb (at least that is where I put mine). Run in either gasoline or propane.

Based upon the math that I did, 40lbs of propane should give the same run time as about 5 gallons of gasoline (give or take). You do take a hit on generator capacity when running on propane (usually about 10% lower than gasoline).

You can store propane bottles almost forever without needing to rotate them. I have a couple of 40lb propane bottles and 40 gallons of gasoline on hand at all times (metal jerry cans, zero ethanol, + fuel stabilizer). Just in case...

What did your dealer say about the hot start issue? Was it just that it's a "major"? Does the dealer know why your saw is having that issue? It's really not a major to swap parts, assuming the dealer has diagnosed which parts are faulty.

I checked with the dealer today. Yes there is no 'high idle' on the mtronic carb. Warm start is on the run setting which means it starts at the idle. He did say that it helps if you can find a way to hold par throttle while pulling it. I may make a clip that will do just that.

The only saw on hand so it got the call. I’ve limbed/bucked up one 5” aspen and most of a 16” aspen on one tiny tank of fuel so far. Amazing how good the fuel mileage is on small, non ported saws lol.

No anti vibe so my hands are vibrating a bit as I type though ;)

View attachment 652721

it is amazing how far a whiff of fuel goes isn't it! one tank in the ms180 is just 250ml (just under half a pint ...or just over half a small US pint) and my 038super has a tank that is, i think 650ml, yet the 180 gets more done on a single tank full. It's one reason i love the 180...plus its so light by comparison. the big saw is addictive too though.

I checked with the dealer today. Yes there is no 'high idle' on the mtronic carb. Warm start is on the run setting which means it starts at the idle. He did say that it helps if you can find a way to hold par throttle while pulling it. I may make a clip that will do just that.
I start all of my saws with one hand on the trigger and the other on the rope. On the small saws I just drop start them. On the big ones, I rest the tip of the bar on a log. I posted the question on a couple sites, if holding the trigger open makes any difference? Most answers were "NO". But on my 100CC saws if I put my foot in the handle and pull, I can only get about 6 inches of rope out, and it pops back, and rips your fingers off. If you set the tip of the bar on a log and give it half to full throttle it will pull over and start easy. I bought a Super 1050 a couple months ago and it is missing the throttle lock. If you give it half throttle with the trigger it will start easy. If you give it no throttle, it will pop back and rip your fingers off. I've had 4 Super 1050's, including 2 brand new ones, back in the 70's, and they all respond the same way. So, when I bought the Mac 550, 99CC's and it did the same thing, I took it down to the wood pile where I could rest the bar on a log, half throttle, and it cranked and started easy.

it is amazing how far a whiff of fuel goes isn't it! one tank in the ms180 is just 250ml (just under half a pint ...or just over half a small US pint) and my 038super has a tank that is, i think 650ml, yet the 180 gets more done on a single tank full. It's one reason i love the 180...plus its so light by comparison. the big saw is addictive too though.
carefull now, sounds to me like first symptoms of CAD :chainsaw: and if it is,you'll always have a itchy finger when you see a nice saw for sale. It's a addiction that there's only 1 cure for I'm afraid :cry:

Humped out the non core rotted sections of this big aspen I cut 18 months ago. As there was quicksand between the tree and my yard (stump was right in front of the broken off balsam in picture #1) I needed a plank to get across. With the exception of a couple rounds and the stump piece, it split very nicely.

E4DC3588-8043-4D19-9F07-DBA862976943.jpeg
FED1CE40-4E99-4907-A6B6-7A95C6AF5630.jpeg
78EF91FC-CB99-4C6B-950A-FB007FC22A81.jpeg

Started the cutting at my Daughter's today, the whole neighborhood looks like this!

Numerous houses with trees on them, and tons of damaged power lines + poles. They are still out of power.

Attachments

• IMG_20180517_131457308_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180517_131457308_HDR.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20180517_131447351.jpg
    IMG_20180517_131447351.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180517_131504490_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180517_131504490_HDR.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180517_143604291.jpg
    IMG_20180517_143604291.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 37
Hey Mike !
I have a customer's truck at my shop for service , he called me today to tell me that he's not sure when he'll be back to pick it up .
He's a linesman , called me from the airport , he and a crew from our PowerCo were leaving this morning for NewYork .
Some of my other customers that work with him have left with trucks , if you see Nova Scotia Power , Emera Utility , FA Tucker or Cahill , say hello :)

I’m ashamed to say that between phone calls and visiting the neighbor I only got this much done this morning.

I used the Husky S2800 to do the big pieces and the X25 for the rest. I’m really taking a liking to the X25. It has much better balance than the S2800 and swings more quickly than the X27.

View attachment 652714

I like the length and balance of the X25 and that fast swing , it's not perfect in all wood but when you get the right wood for it , it's a joy to use :)

Started the cutting at my Daughter's today, the whole neighborhood looks like this!

Numerous houses with trees on them, and tons of damaged power lines + poles. They are still out of power.

With those wires touching them trees and broken poles its dangerous as hell right there where you are Mike!!

Thanks for that, but the power is out, and they will not turn it back on till they fix it. Plus that wire in the wood was not electric, that was internet.

I did not go near it till the Town came by and knocked it off the wires. They left logs for me to cut, I didn't take the stuff down, I know better.

That said, there is one heck of a mess over there. In one stretch of road there were 8 bucket trucks working with one another, and some were in the same spot yesterday.

I only got to spend about an hour there today because of rain this AM and had an appliance delivery at my house in the late PM. But I will be returning tomorrow. Luckily, they burn wood, and they can use it this year!

Thanks for that, but the power is out, and they will not turn it back on till they fix it. Plus that wire in the wood was not electric, that was internet.

I did not go near it till the Town came by and knocked it off the wires. They left logs for me to cut, I didn't take the stuff down, I know better.

That said, there is one heck of a mess over there. In one stretch of road there were 8 bucket trucks working with one another, and some were in the same spot yesterday.

I only got to spend about an hour there today because of rain this AM and had an appliance delivery at my house in the late PM. But I will be returning tomorrow. Luckily, they burn wood, and they can use it this year!

Yup its a mess. I was in NJ for 2 weeks for Hurricane Sandy and in Mississippi for 11 days after Katrina.

Question for all you tuning gurus. My 272xp started acting silly today. Started going down on power, wouldnt rev up. Kept hitting the trigger and it blew the muffler apart. It was a new AM muffler. Anyways, after putting muffler back together and a little mig welding, I dont think it can blow apart again. Cranked the saw and it ran fine, for a few minutes and then again started losing power. It would bog down on a 3in limb. I finally noticed that if the saw as held bar down, such as when limbing, it would barely run, but level the saw up and it will scream. Tried adjusting carb, but it aint helping. Any ideals. The saw has a new piston and ring with about 1 tank ran thru since the build. Looking thru exhaust port, piston is slick and shiney. Compression feels really good, have to use compression release to crank.

Latest posts

Back