Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been burning wood now for a couple of weeks. I have a trailer load of yellow box, it's been seasoned for 2.5 years, so seen 3 summers but still has a little moisture in it when I split it to check.
The upside is I fantastic burn times. This is what's left over 19hrs after putting in 2 fire box filling chunks. Put them on at 10pm. came home from work at 5pm to glowing coals.
Second pic in infered mode (lights out).
upload_2018-5-25_9-34-5.png

upload_2018-5-25_9-35-9.png

Yeah the ol yellow box goes great, it can be a wood heater killer with the heat it puts out if overheated.

That stuff in my pic is Peppermint as far as I can tell, it punches out great heat too, not sure about the burn times as yet as my heater isn't set up properly (only running half the flue it needs at the moment (it's outside in my carport) and won't be putting a full flue on it until I put it in the house so hard to run the heater shut right down as the draw is wrong with it set up with just half a flue.

LIfe ain't over because of a birthday. I'm 83 and still out there heaving saws and wood around. sent some 8 cord out the gate last year plus the 3 cord for my use, plus some 6 more cord to cover orders expected this year. Have 5 or 6 huge willow trees on the ground waiting to be processed. I had to just fall them to get out of the way of a fencing project.

Good for you, carry on!!!

Trust me, I'm working hard to be able to do the same. Took my Buck, with the Cross Bow, from a climbing tree stand this year.

But it is scary how many people my age can't do this stuff, and every day in the obits, there are folks younger than me.

But like my Dad used to say "Life is for the living"!!!

LOADED FOR BEAR!

Taking the Mustang cause it will be a long trip, and I don't need ladders or ropes. Fit 11 of my 13 saws in the Mustang, and still have room for a passenger (will be picking up my friend Harold, some of you met him at a prior NY GTG).

Have several giant Oaks to cut up that went down in the storm, so I'm packing mostly the big boys. Have King Kong (MS-710) with a 36" bar, two Asian 660s (one also wearing a 36" bar), two 066s, the 460, Hybrid, 440, 044, 360 and 261. So, will be set up for mostly the big stuff!

Also packed the Fiskars X-27, Timberjack, 2 helmets, tool bag and wedges, Fuel + Oil, and an extra Fuel.

Wish me luck! (At least it should not be a problem if I pinch a bar … Ha Ha Ha!) Wish me Luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20180524_203721653.jpg
    IMG_20180524_203721653.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180524_203603786.jpg
    IMG_20180524_203603786.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 21
LOADED FOR BEAR!

Taking the Mustang cause it will be a long trip, and I don't need ladders or ropes. Fit 11 of my 13 saws in the Mustang, and still have room for a passenger (will be picking up my friend Harold, some of you met him at a prior NY GTG).

Have several giant Oaks to cut up that went down in the storm, so I'm packing mostly the big boys. Have King Kong (MS-710) with a 36" bar, two Asian 660s (one also wearing a 36" bar), two 066s, the 460, Hybrid, 440, 044, 360 and 261. So, will be set up for mostly the big stuff!

Also packed the Fiskars X-27, Timberjack, 2 helmets, tool bag and wedges, Fuel + Oil, and an extra Fuel.

Wish me luck! (At least it should not be a problem if I pinch a bar … Ha Ha Ha!) Wish me Luck!

Some nice looking gear there Mike, re pinching the bar, what I do is when cutting a big log or if there's a chance it will pinch I start my cut from the top and just wedge a small twig or stick into it and that stops if from closing up on the bar, works a treat and no need for wedges or anything else, simple and effective.

LOADED FOR BEAR!

Don’t forget an ice chest with water and some beers for after!

I always bring my juice mix of OJ, Cranberry and Water. Beers can be had after at a deli. I neve have them while I'm cutting.

Thanks B F Scott, but I was mostly joking about the # of big saws. I'm bringing wedges, and the Fiskars to drive em. I use em often with large logs, especially if they want to twist.

LIfe ain't over because of a birthday. I'm 83 and still out there heaving saws and wood around. sent some 8 cord out the gate last year plus the 3 cord for my use, plus some 6 more cord to cover orders expected this year. Have 5 or 6 huge willow trees on the ground waiting to be processed. I had to just fall them to get out of the way of a fencing project.
My goal is to live to be 112 and get shot in the back by a jealous husband while carrying a stick of pulpwood up the side of the mountain. The way the tree huggers are going, I'll probably just get arrested for cutting the tree and spend my last days listening to a spotted owl hooting outside my jail cell.

!!! You don't seem like a day over 75 in your posts!

Thanks for setting the bar so high!

Philbert

It is only due to the physical acivity and exercise I get out there wooding that I am still able to go wooding! of course my work "day" is only about 4 hours per anymore and that is on a good day.

The cell phone reception at my cabin has declined significantly over the past two years and is significantly worse now than last year. Once the leaves are down you can get decent service in the cabin and great service on the back deck. This summer the service is even spotty on the back deck. You can see the tower from the next hill over so it is not that far away.

Thinking it is time to do a little "logging" on the west side of my yard....

So my mate and I were talking last night and the conversation got onto what file size we use for our .325 pitch chains and it turns out that different manufacturers recommend different size files for their particular .325 chain. One would have thought that the same file could be used on them all but that's not the case as we found out.:(

I started out scrounging for firewood then people started asking me if I wanted to cut with them. I ended up doing cleanup work after the loggers were done. Cutting tops and large branches that were 24” and bigger. Then I was doing storm work keeping the access roads open. When ever there was cutting to be done I was asked.

I burnt cutup skids in the fall till it got colder. One fire a night would warm the house. Then small logs would last longer as it got colder. I have temperature gauges on the stove and stove pipe so I can adjust the temp in the woodstove while the gauge on the pipe allows me to adjust the pipe damper on how much heat goes up the chimney. I get more burn time and heat from the wood, less creosote in the chimney. The twin temp gauges work awesome. It saves wood too.

Just collected a car load (3/4m3, a little under 1/4 cord) of Lawson cypress. No dragging mud flaps and no need to think about should i fit some helper springs to the car, unlike oak. Less btus, but makes good kindling and good 'get the fire going' wood....and the car smells fantastic now

So my mate and I were talking last night and the conversation got onto what file size we use for our .325 pitch chains and it turns out that different manufacturers recommend different size files for their particular .325 chain. One would have thought that the same file could be used on them all but that's not the case as we found out.:(

Same as 3/8 - Stihl suggests a different size than others, and some of us use two different sized files on the same chain depending on how long the cutters are. It's like striped socks - some evil genius marketing guru dreamed up a way to sell more. I reckon I might start a petition to seek a citizens initiated referendum to enact a new KISS law so that manufacturers are penalised for making complicated for the consumer that which could be achieved with ubiquitous design. No more striped socks unless you make 'em yourself. All chains being one size, gauge, type, needing only one file.

Make engine manufacturers use one of three different type/size of oil filters and air cleaners or they can't sell their engines here.
Same goes for a bunch of spare parts. There's a good albeit old, book called The Waste Makers warning about the wicked ways of consumerism. Fifty years later we still haven't got the message.

Back