Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your running e85 you probably aren't worried about mileage :lol:. Figure they make about 150 to the wheels stock so well over double the factory power rev limited at 10k shift at 9500. Everyday boost at 14 the 18 psi was more of a kill tune. I got a year out of that motor. Rings started to go and I sold it for more then I had in it. 2200 pounds on the scale at the green bean plant and near 400 wheel it moved out OK. Also changed a few opinions on people thinking Honda's can't go from a dig on the street:laughing:.
I know what your saying for sure, but out here there are a good number of people who have e85 capable cars and they don't realize that they will be loosing most everything they save from getting the "cheap" e85.
You know I'd enjoy that, especially if it was someone else's :happy:.

And, making ethanol generates more carbon output than burning the gallon of gasoline it is replacing.
If it's about reducing dependence on middle east oil, fine. If it's about saving the planet, piss off.
Agreed, lots of assumptions about ethanol.
Why do we have it in the fuel, because banks got into commodities(sure someone here can tell us more and trace out the paper trail for us), the same people who are making a lot of money off ethanol because they lobbied to make it law that we have it in the fuel :nofunny:.
One reason I'll be happy the battery powered equipment and vehicles take big leaps forward is because the banks haven't moved on it yet :dancing:, can you tell I like banks.

I know what your saying for sure, but out here there are a good number of people who have e85 capable cars and they don't realize that they will be loosing most everything they save from getting the "cheap" e85.
You know I'd enjoy that, especially if it was someone else's :happy:.
We don't have e85 anymore. Guess they didn't sell enough.

That hard wood sounds like such pain having to deal with all that unburnt charcoal.... and stuff :rolleyes:. Sure glad I don’t have to deal with all that stuff, feel sorry for you guys that only have hard wood to burn :laugh:.

Yep, it's a burden all right :numberone:.

A few years ago we made a trip to Yellowstone. We took a round about way of getting there and back home. I logged how much gas I used and my mileage and cost per mile. I tried everything from 91 octane to the E85. I got the best gas milage with the non ethanol 91 octane, but the economics favored 87 with ethanol. I only ran one tank of the e85 stuff and mileage sucked. I only saw the e85 available in a few places, it seems not everyone even carries it.

E85, 85% ethanol? We don't get that here. All we get is regular and premium. We calculate octane differently so I believe our regular is actually lower octane then your 87, although we call it 95. All regular is E10, by law. Premium varies by brand 97-99 octane and doesn't have to contain ethanol. As I understand it only BP guarantee it ethanol free (BP ultimate, 99 RON), but Shell v-power nitro (what a name, FFS!) Is 99 RON, usually e free and what I tend to use as there are more shell stations around here. We pay about £1.30 per litre ($6.19/ us gallon) for regular, premium is about 10p/litre more

E85, 85% ethanol? We don't get that here. All we get is regular and premium. We calculate octane differently so I believe our regular is actually lower octane then your 87, although we call it 95. All regular is E10, by law. Premium varies by brand 97-99 octane and doesn't have to contain ethanol. As I understand it only BP guarantee it ethanol free (BP ultimate, 99 RON), but Shell v-power nitro (what a name, FFS!) Is 99 RON, usually e free and what I tend to use as there are more shell stations around here. We pay about £1.30 per litre ($6.19/ us gallon) for regular, premium is about 10p/litre more

Yeah you can say that again :laugh:

1.30 pounds per litre? Leaping lizards, that's about 2.50 Oz pesos. No wonder you don't have a car with the proper number of cylinders.

View attachment 658897 Split for an hour tonight as I did last night. Enjoying a non alchy beer as the sun sets over the scrounge pile.

That's a beautiful shot, Jeff. Good amount of wood there too :yes:. Do you reckon you can get the power company to move that line and pole for you? Swap for some scrounge maybe?

Yeah you can say that again :laugh:

1.30 pounds per litre? Leaping lizards, that's about 2.50 Oz pesos. No wonder you don't have a car with the proper number of cylinders.
I'm all for electric technology, I just haven't figured out how to put a blower on a battery?

IMHO ethanol is a created subsidy to help farmers. It has no benefit in efficiency or longevity when it comes to combustion engines.

People can say what they want but fuels with ethanol break down much faster when left untreated.
Now put 2 and 2 together. The gubmits not going to do anything for anybody but themselves. The reason Ethenol is in gas is so people cant stockpile it. How long did leaded gas last in a gas can back in the 60's? My uncle is a farmer. He grows corn. He doesn't have any more money now than before they made it so we had to have ethenol in gas.

That's a beautiful shot, Jeff. Good amount of wood there too :yes:. Do you reckon you can get the power company to move that line and pole for you? Swap for some scrounge maybe?
That’s my clothesline. I had to buy a new pole when I built, to hang the transformer on. So I kept the old one and planted it. My boys have a basketball net on it.

Now put 2 and 2 together. The gubmits not going to do anything for anybody but themselves. The reason Ethenol is in gas is so people cant stockpile it. How long did leaded gas last in a gas can back in the 60's? My uncle is a farmer. He grows corn. He doesn't have any more money now than before they made it so we had to have ethenol in gas.
^^^^ This guys going places. I can still get 100ll if I want to stock pile gas and I have no issue with cutting the cats off my vehicle to to run it if it comes to that.

Tax on fuel has always been high here and lately the emissions laws drive the tech towards small and turbo equipped engines too. 1 to 1.4 litre, 3 or 4 cylinder, turbocharged is fairly common now.
Back in 88 I had a Chevy Geo Metro. 1 litre 3 cylinder. No air, with a 5 speed. It was made by Suzuki. Had plenty pick up to merge into highway traffic with out fear of getting stuck in a Semi's tread. Got dead on 60 MPG. I had 2 friends that had the same basic car with an auto and air, and they both said it was scary trying to merge. I loved mine for a work car, my drive was 72 miles round trip. Only problem was at 125,000 miles it just started falling apart, cheap disposable car. It was a carb car, just think what it could do with injection and a turbo? Probably turn into an aluminium grenade. I'd buy another one for around town use. Maryland talked about medium speed vehicles for a while. That would open up the mini pick ups, but not yet.

Tax on fuel has always been high here and lately the emissions laws drive the tech towards small and turbo equipped engines too. 1 to 1.4 litre, 3 or 4 cylinder, turbocharged is fairly common now.
I don't like everything they do in EU, but small turbo engines is one thing we should really be paying attention to. I dont understand why all vehicles here are not AWD and turbo out of the box. The performance/efficiency/emissions gains are hard to argue. Could you imagine what a Mustang would be with an AWD, turbo/super charged flat 6 mid-engine design? My buddy has an AWD Taurus SHO with the 3.5L ecoboost and that car will eat mustangs for breakfast. Then have Camaro for lunch. Then finish the day with Chargers. American muscle cars are weak now.

That's exactly what they want you to believe :nofunny:.

Your probably right to a point but ethanol literally helped keep my uncle afloat when they paid for irrigators and he had to sell them all his corn for a number of years. It was a tough transition from dairy to crops for many farmers around here and between the government program and ethanol companies they kept many afloat.

The Ethanol vs Farms debate is a tough one. I am generally against any subsidies, but I also believe we NEED farms, and they were disappearing too quickly. My Uncle and Aunt (and 7 cousins) had a Dairy Farm back in the day when you brought your mike cans down to the road! What a tough life, and 30+ head is no longer feasible with all the regs out there.

The equipment needed is soo expensive, and the price paid for milk, etc is soo low.

My cousin, who owns the 125 acre now, rents the fields. I'm glad it has remained a farm.

It is crucial to our security to maintain farms across the Country in case one area or another gets hit with bad weather, etc. For better or worse, Ethanol is part of the political solution.

Back