Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i had thought about an 8T sprocket to up he speed, alhtough pwerful saw, shart bar and high chain speed is a dangerous combination for kickback.

I could see a longer bar on my Christmas list.....24 would be fine. I've not buried the 20" on the 038 so 18" may be fine for me.
I could see an 8 pin rim with a 24 being a good setup for the 7910. Mine pulled a 32 buried and didn't seem like it was even working hard yet.

@rarefish383
Here's some interior pics also.View attachment 664343 View attachment 664344 Iv never seen another set of these.View attachment 664345

This is my high school car, 69 340 Swinger, I've always loved the A-Bodies. If I ever hit the lottery, my first purchase would be a GSS 440 Dart.
faTGqzu.jpg

This is my high school car, 69 340 Swinger, I've always loved the A-Bodies. If I ever hit the lottery, my first purchase would be a GSS 440 Dart.
faTGqzu.jpg
Mopars run in the family. Moms first car was a 68 formula s barracuda, uncles was a big block 4 speed challenger. Dad was a Ford guy he had a 289 k code mustang that was known to pick on the big block cars on the street. Iv talked to guys at local car shows that still remember that car and it's been gone so long iv only seen it in pictures.

One of my main competitors when I was running the 70 Boss w/the 427 was a 67 GTX with a built 440. I managed to beat it, but that car was Georgas!!!

Had a custom paint job … white background with blue ribbons and shadows … I really liked that car. Ironically, he sold the body but kept the 440. It is currently in a Duster race car that runs in the 10s. He is younger than me, but can't drive any more. His son drives it.

My favorite Ford bodies (if money were no object), 67-70 Mustang Fastbacks, 55/56 T Birds, and 66/67 Fairlane's. I like my current Mustang because the body resembles those of that era, plus it has much better suspension, AC, power windows, a 5 speed, and variable cam timing. For a daily driver that I take everywhere, it would be tough to go back.

My car is a 2006 with almost 140,000 miles. I blew the original engine at 118,000 mi and replaced it (the new one has Eagle Crank, rods + pistons), but the rear, tranny, AC, alternator, radiator, power windows, and ps are all original w/o any work. The classic cars just never had that kind of reliability.

That said, the new ones with IRS are a big step above. My brother and I drove one as a rental in FL, and we were both very impressed with the combination of ride quality and handling. My ride quality does not compare.

One of my main competitors when I was running the 70 Boss w/the 427 was a 67 GTX with a built 440. I managed to beat it, but that car was Georgas!!!

Had a custom paint job … white background with blue ribbons and shadows … I really liked that car. Ironically, he sold the body but kept the 440. It is currently in a Duster race car that runs in the 10s. He is younger than me, but can't drive any more. His son drives it.

My favorite Ford bodies (if money were no object), 67-70 Mustang Fastbacks, 55/56 T Birds, and 66/67 Fairlane's. I like my current Mustang because the body resembles those of that era, plus it has much better suspension, AC, power windows, a 5 speed, and variable cam timing. For a daily driver that I take everywhere, it would be tough to go back.

My car is a 2006 with almost 140,000 miles. I blew the original engine at 118,000 mi and replaced it (the new one has Eagle Crank, rods + pistons), but the rear, tranny, AC, alternator, radiator, power windows, and ps are all original w/o any work. The classic cars just never had that kind of reliability.

That said, the new ones with IRS are a big step above. My brother and I drove one as a rental in FL, and we were both very impressed with the combination of ride quality and handling. My ride quality does not compare.
Back in the early 70's when I was street racing my 340 Swinger, there was a kid with a 63 Falcon that started killing everything from stop light to stop light. The power to weight ratio of the Swinger, and the Super Stock springs that came on it, made it hard to beat in short runs. Most of the cars were still running bias belted tires. This new kid in the Falcon showed up and just kicked azz. I talked to him one night and asked to see his engine and get the details on it. It was a stock 289, four barrel, 4 speed. All he did performance wise was a set of headers, and 513 gears. I don't think the car would go over about 70 MPH with out the risk of popping the engine. But, he was taking every ones money stop light to stop light.

Back in the early 70's when I was street racing my 340 Swinger, there was a kid with a 63 Falcon that started killing everything from stop light to stop light. The power to weight ratio of the Swinger, and the Super Stock springs that came on it, made it hard to beat in short runs. Most of the cars were still running bias belted tires. This new kid in the Falcon showed up and just kicked azz. I talked to him one night and asked to see his engine and get the details on it. It was a stock 289, four barrel, 4 speed. All he did performance wise was a set of headers, and 513 gears. I don't think the car would go over about 70 MPH with out the risk of popping the engine. But, he was taking every ones money stop light to stop light.

I remember using 4 Low in my truck a few times, man did that piss people off at stop lights. I don't think you're suppose to exceed 30-40 mph in low range, but at the time I didn't care, it was fun. I won't say gearing is everything, but sure makes a big difference.

Little motors like lots of gear. When I first put my old civic together it was bolt ons stand alone ECU and 100 shot of spray. I went out of my way to find a Japan market b16 transmission with the 4.70 final drive. If I remember correctly the car would top out at 115mph at 9k in 5th gear. It got there in a hurry but wasn't fun to drive outside of town.

Took a total of 9 smaller blowdowns/snags to fill the trailer but got all of the junk out of the periphery of my yard.

I made the mistake of cutting up one live balsam in the bunch and the sap from just handling those dozen splits totally gummed up a pair of gloves. Hate that stuff and usually leave it in the woods to dry for 6 months before processing.

9FC3CFBB-CC7C-4B07-9C3A-88E9B562D356.jpeg

@MNGuns Looks like your getting some nice lumber out of that patch! You have to take the brush and limbs or can you leave them?
Leave it lay. I push it up enough to get the logs out. Taking the wood and dealing with the brush changes the equation from scrounge to billable hours.

Always looks smaller in the pics, but pulled this out of the woods today. I know what five cord looks like, I know what ten cord look, I cant say for sure what I got in this pile yet. Good bit of it is 16 to 20'20180721_154319.jpg 20180721_154337.jpg 20180721_154345.jpg . Have to cypher some on how I going to get it all hauled. Bit more yet to cut.

One more pic...if you need me I'll be in my chair...20180721_164837.jpg

Started cutting my scrounge and splitting yesterday. Hydraulic filter on the splitter had a slow steady leak again. This was a Northern tool filter and housing that had always spit at me but would stop but not this time. I got a Napa filter and it does not leak. Couldn't find any thing wrong with the old gasket or filter. But I got a start on the wood pile. Not sure how many cords I will get yet.002.JPG

Started cutting my scrounge and splitting yesterday. Hydraulic filter on the splitter had a slow steady leak again. This was a Northern tool filter and housing that had always spit at me but would stop but not this time. I got a Napa filter and it does not leak. Couldn't find any thing wrong with the old gasket or filter. But I got a start on the wood pile. Not sure how many cords I will get yet.View attachment 664456
A lot of that looks perfect for a super split. Fast, no hydraulics.

Started cutting my scrounge and splitting yesterday. Hydraulic filter on the splitter had a slow steady leak again. This was a Northern tool filter and housing that had always spit at me but would stop but not this time. I got a Napa filter and it does not leak. Couldn't find any thing wrong with the old gasket or filter. But I got a start on the wood pile. Not sure how many cords I will get yet.View attachment 664456

There is a lot of wood in them small sticks, but a fair bit of time also. I'm getting the big stuff cut our of my place first then make a pass for the tops.

Looks like good heat!

Back