Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had 11 yards of mulch dumped at my MIL's house yesterday. Just my wife and I got it all spread in just about 5 hours flat. They dumped it at 2 in the afternoon, and I finished cleaning my walk behind and had it loaded, a little after 7 in the evening. When I bought it the deck cover was off to put a new mower belt on. I never got around to sticking it back on, and it's easier to grease open. I got to thinking that if I put the plastic dump wagon bed on it, it would make a great power barrow. So, I cut two pieces of old bed frame angle, and bolted them to the tabs for the deck cover. Took the DeWalt reciprocating saw and cut the wheels off. Then drilled four holes in the angle to mount the frame and pivot to the dump barrow on it. Worked great. Only problem, almost at the end of the day, enough mulch had spilled out and landed on the exhaust pipe, and caught on fire. Glad i was loading and had the hose 5' away. Anyway, I might try and find a smaller walk behind with no mower deck, and build a heavier dump barrow with an electric dump, like on my dump trailer, but smaller of course. Here's a pic with a load on it. Next is trying it out with wood.
IBrPVfO.jpg

S903rMG.jpg

Nice Green toys you got there. And here I was thrilled when I got an ATV (to use instead of the lawn tractor)!

I finally sold my motorcycle so I'm looking at picking up an atv here soon, found a used one I like so I don't feel so bad when I scratch it or roll it down the ravine. Now I'll be able to use that to get to more dead wood and clean things up. I've got an International 856 out here but it doesn't work so well getting wood out of the woods, does however lift 20' sections of trunk of the ground rather well with forks on the rear.

Back in the early 70's when I was street racing my 340 Swinger, there was a kid with a 63 Falcon that started killing everything from stop light to stop light. The power to weight ratio of the Swinger, and the Super Stock springs that came on it, made it hard to beat in short runs. Most of the cars were still running bias belted tires. This new kid in the Falcon showed up and just kicked azz. I talked to him one night and asked to see his engine and get the details on it. It was a stock 289, four barrel, 4 speed. All he did performance wise was a set of headers, and 513 gears. I don't think the car would go over about 70 MPH with out the risk of popping the engine. But, he was taking every ones money stop light to stop light.

The small block Ford Motors were often "overlooked". They were lighter than the small block Chevy, and had small port heads that provided plenty of torque. In the days before drag radials, low weight was very important. The 289 was very successful in the AC Cobras, kicked the Vette's butt at the track.

My friend, who had a 69 Z-28 Camaro, was furious that my 67 289 Mustang (my first Mustang) would beat him to 60. After that, he pulled right past me, but if I had a 289 Hi Per, it may have been a different story! I had a 600 Holley and Thrush dual exhaust on the Mustang, and it was a torquey SOB (for a small block). With that exhaust, it was loud, and I used to "drift" through turns, before you ever heard of that term.

I remember sliding around a car in a turn, going like a bat outa H*** and then stopping in a store to do some shopping. A few minutes later a lady comes in, starts telling the store owner how this loud car came flying by her, her son said it was a Mustang … we all had to cover our faces and turn away! God I was a crazy SOB. Years later I thought about it, and it scared me.

4 houses from me. Thats a THIRD of a giant silver. I dont think it was weather related. I pulled in the driveway and could see that there were years of rot where that section attached to the trunk. Like stupid silvers do, it split at the ground and grew into 3 different leaning main sections. I'm guessing its about 30". I only saw a 6" thick ring around half the circumference of the base. I dont think I am touching that one. I have plenty of wood. But I wanted to pull in and see what happened. Ya know, cuz scroungers curiousity. :D

Attachments

• 20180720_161746.jpg
    20180720_161746.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 30
4 houses from me. Thats a THIRD of a giant silver. I dont think it was weather related. I pulled in the driveway and could see that there were years of rot where that section attached to the trunk. Like stupid silvers do, it split at the ground and grew into 3 different leaning main sections. I'm guessing its about 30". I only saw a 6" thick ring around half the circumference of the base. I dont think I am touching that one. I have plenty of wood. But I wanted to pull in and see what happened. Ya know, cuz scroungers curiousity. :D
This is an old pic, but I like it. Big old Silver. It had already lost one big lead. The homeowner was an old friend, He called because the weather was calling for a hurricane in the Carolina's to be in MD in a couple days. A crack in the lead over the house was opening and closing with a gentile wind blowing. I was afraid to put my weight in the top to limb it out. So, I got a 50 ton crane. he had the whole tree on the ground in 4 hours.
1T3cgTJ.jpg

Latest posts

Back